Post-Game Talk: F*** Vegas 6 Second place Jets 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Between colds, flu and covid plenty of stuff going around atm, hockey do go out in public so it make sense that they pick up bugs once in a while. Problem is in a dressing room is spreads quick

Reactions: kanadalainen

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Between colds, flu and covid plenty of stuff going around atm, hockey do go out in public so it make sense that they pick up bugs once in a while. Problem is in a dressing room is spreads quick
Yeah it has been pretty brutal lately with sickness in this city lately.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The Moose also have injuries and guys out sick. I was a bit surprised today when I looked into it that the Moose have had to recall 6 guys on ECHL loans in the last month to replace call ups and their own guys out.
Makes sense - there are a lot of sick people in MB right now with this latest flu -
I went to the drug store to pick up something that would help with it - the section for cold remedies was wiped out.
Could be a tough week or two - think about how bad it would be if we didn't have the bottom 6th depth we have.

Reactions: Jets 31

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It won't happen over night - Vegas is a very organized team and they likely had to work at it.
Jet's are just getting the hang of it - and it's coming most nights
Of course it’s more complicated than that as fa want to go to Vegas and they probably have a easier time signing their players which creates stability unlike where we might lose Pld in a year or 2.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
What can I say about this game...oh yeah...

748ya1.jpg

The Prediction Contest thread for the game against Nashville has been posted and ready for your guesses. Don't forget to sign up to make a GDT, there are plenty of games available. Thanks @Ginger Papa for volunteering to do the one against the Predators, let's hope you can start another winning streak!

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Of course it’s more complicated than that as fa want to go to Vegas and they probably have a easier time signing their players which creates stability unlike where we might lose Pld in a year or 2.
Yup - all those things too.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well that was a hard fought relatively even played game I thought. Sometimes you lose those and that is what happened tonight.

Our PK wasn't good enough and Helle had a rare stinker in net and those were the difference tonight.

Helle as mentioned had a poor night, he whiffed on the first and fourth goals. He also never really looked comfortable even when making saves.

JoMo played a strong overall game and was trying to make things happen. I thought he played their first goal as best he could.

DeMelo was solid in his end but I didn't like his pinching. Yes I know the defense has the green light to but there still needs to be some recognition on the dmens part on when and when not to. I feel Dylan doesn't always make the correct decisions on those.

Pionk I thought was fine for the most part but his play on the power play infuriates me. His awareness on the point is poor and all he does is rush shots when he has no lane. Pionk's job should be getting the puck to Perfetti and that's it. He also took a stupid penalty late and if that was a younger player would have gotten his ass stapled to the bench.

Schmidt was awful, running into teammates, putting muffins on net and making an absolute boneheaded pass on their third goal. Need much better from a $6 million vet.

Dillon and Snerg both did their jobs well in their end. Both also took smart shots that lead to goals. Nice game from the two of then.

Top line: Played a real solid game and generated a lot of looks. I don't pin either of the two goals against on them. Helle let in a stinker from long range out and Schmidt coughed it up with them all up ice. I am really happy with Cole's play against the NHL's best teams. Vegas is quick, close quickly on you, play a very tenacious physical game and he more then held his own. He was disrupting, in there hard on the walls forcing turnovers and coming out with pucks. He was also able to make numerous high skilled plays and create separation and find the soft ice and get good shots off. Very positive night for him. Wheeler I thought was a bit off in his passing, and he missfired when he had the puck in good shooting locations. Otherwise he played well. Mark with two nice goals and another strong all around game.

Second line was completely invisible. Conner did nothing 5 on 5 but was dangerous on the PP. Vegas is a team that does what Mike does well and that rendered him ineffective. Dubois was MIA as well. I still am trying to figure out if he was benched for about 4 shifts in the third or if he has a knock.

Third line: Played pretty well. Barron got a nice goal. Kid has some hands and a nose for the net. He also served up some pizzas so some consistency is needed. Lowry played a hard defensive and forecheck game. Harkins was buzzing around.

Fourth line played a good game and got a nice goal. Stenlund brought a different element and the line was effective.

Coaching:

Not sure if I really liked what Bones did in the third. He got into mixing up all his lines down the stretch in a real tight game. This resulted in some players who were playing excellent hockey like Cole sit and elevating a 4C to play with Conner (two shifts), and it also broke up an effective third line when Lowry got elevated. If it was to send a message to Dubois then it was poorly timed in such a tight game. If Dubois was too injured/sick to play those shifts he never should have been out at the end on the pp and EN.

I also thought his decision to put out Pionk after his poor penalty to try to win the game went against his notion of accountability, plus given Pionk's terrible awareness from the point all game was just a poor call.

Last edited:

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I also hate vegas it just seems that they were gifted a good team and obviously the location attracts players but this also showed the Jets are not yet the contenders people started saying they were.

Reactions: macmaroon

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Off topic... watching Ehlers on the post game show- he should grow a mustache (seems like he can grow one) but keep the rest of his face clean shaven. Would look good with a mustache, doesn't need any other facial hair as he has a strong chin that the mustache will make stand out prominently. An old school handlebar mustache will be a good look for him.

That's the end of today's segment of JetsFan815's men's fashion advice.

Last edited:

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
So, Helle was mediocre and both Connor and Dubois were playing under the weather. And yet we still competed well against the best team in our conference. Sure it hurts to lose 2 in a row but I don't think the Jets shamed themselves in this loss.

As much as I enjoy Schmidt, he really cost us tonight.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Vegas was pretty under manned missing their top 2 defenders along with their top line C however I thought the Jets played well and showed some fight after Vegas had outplayed them in the first. Helle uncharacteristically had a poor game compared to his usual. Scheifeles with the anticlimactic hattrick lol. Hopefully dubois is 100% for next game. Beleive this is merely the second time they've Lost two in a row this year.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Forgot how neurotic this board can get...

6-5 versus a stacked team with one of the top five coaches in the league... while our team has diarrhea haha - I'd say that's not bad

Refs could easily gave called that high stick on Harkins etc - I thought it was a well fought game with a couple hiccups

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
I can't believe how close Scheifele came to winning that game for us singlehandedly. He's an absolute beast this year.

That game gave me flashbacks to the WCF. Jets would fight and claw to get a goal only to have Helle let in a softie two minutes later.

Not a terrible game overall. If we can use the experience to tighten things up we'll be ok.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't know how to describe this game. I thought Scheifele was really good. Both ends of the ice. I thought Lowry's line brought a lot of momentum to the team. I thought the 4th line played well, Stenlund made a good impression.

I thought Dillon and Pionk were pretty bad, in giving up space. Dillon had a lot of pucks get behind him, with poor support. On the 2-1 goal there was no reason for both defensemen to be above the circles in a late period situation.

The penalty Pionk took was frustrating. I thought Samberg made it worse by doing a pirouette at centre ice when he was in good position, but geez no reason in a late game to let Phil Kessel get behind you. The Knights seemed to have a game plan to get the pucks behind the defense all night, and it worked alot. It's unfortunate that the Jets never got their pairings synchronized after a long 3rd period shift by Dillon where the forwards continually failed to get the pucks in deep.

Special teams lose the game in the 3rd. I didn't understand why Schmidt got the back half shift on the first PK of the game, and made a good block on Marchessault too, but then late in the game he gets benched for Pionk, who was in no man's land on that tying goal. Another one where Samberg misplayed the situation to exarcerbate it, but I'm going to say in a key PK Pionk would probably be my 6th choice of d-men, and I'm a Pionk fan.

I think Barron probably overplayed the last PK, which gave up a grade A chance, but with young players they aren't going to make the right play every time in every situation. That's the hard learning curve.

Hellebuyck could have bailed out his team tonight, but he didn't make the big save, unfortunately.

It's disappointing because that's a chance to make a statement against a top team, that was missing their best player, and two best d-men, and the Jets couldn't get it done.

Jets need the final game of the homestand, hope the sting of this one gives the team motivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad