F Tij Iginla - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2024 NHL Draft)

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I could see Anaheim and Columbus both taking long looks at Tij, even before Montreal gets there. He would be a nice piece to have along side their young talented centres.
It's a possibility

I think by Bobby Mac's final rankings we will learn that some teams have him closer to 5 then 10 and perhaps some might have him at 5 or better

Between the age, the playoffs and the last name, the only thing that could knock him down are the interviews. I wouldn't mind picking him as high as 4 personally. I think lots of teams will have this year's draft 1 maybe 2 and then a handful of players almost = between 3 to 8

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was reading through the last few pages and wanted to touch on the NHL nepotism angle. If I'm debating between two similar prospects and one of them has an NHL connection, I'm taking the one with the NHL connection damn near every single time. Yea a lot of these guys are given extra opportunities your average person wouldn't get, but they also have to perform once they get to that CHL/NCAA/JrA level.

But the difference is, they've been groomed for the pros from day 1. These guys have likely seen their dads/uncles play. They're around NHLers from a young age. They're training like a pro as a teenager. They can step in to the NHL and "get it" in a way your average person can't. There's value in that.

The Tkachuks have outperformed their draft positions. Doan looks like he'll do the same.

I recently listened to Trent Frederic's interview on 32 thoughts and he touches on that as well. He's not a legacy himself, but he grew up with the Tkachuks and Logan Brown in St. Louis and credited those NHL connections with giving him an edge that not everyone got.
Counterpoint: Alex Nylander says hello.

You even mentioned a notorious bust Logan Brown with a famous NHL father in your post.

I see no evidence a higher percentage succeed than those who don’t have the famous hockey father.

Reactions: LeBrun is a Clown

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
There was work ethic questions with Alex Nylander, no? He's also done quite well since being traded to Columbus.

You even mentioned a notorious bust Logan Brown with a famous NHL father in your post.

I see no evidence a higher percentage succeed than those who don’t have the famous hockey father.
Logan Brown is at least still a borderline NHLer. Not every pick is going to hit no matter what the circumstance

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You were one of the ones crying when Montreal drafted Slafkovsky. Just accept whatever you think is probably wrong.
Why? Because what i think would break your little heart? lol

Flames fans are acting like they have first right of refusal over Tij because his father was once a Flame. That's weak.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There was work ethic questions with Alex Nylander, no? He's also done quite well since being traded to Columbus.

Logan Brown is at least still a borderline NHLer. Not every pick is going to hit no matter what the circumstance
So what’s the point?

Neither of those are positive examples. Both probably would’ve gone a little lower without their family success in the sport, and in hindsight are busts.

Reactions: LeBrun is a Clown

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Tij Iginla reminds me of the Tkachuk brothers(especially Matthew Tkachuk).

One thing that people don't talk about, is that Tij Iginla has good hands.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Tij Iginla reminds me of the Tkachuk brothers(especially Matthew Tkachuk).

One thing that people don't talk about, is that Tij Iginla has good hands.

He's significantly smaller than the Tkachuks and not a big hitter. I don't see Iginla below the goal line that often either.

His most remarkable skill is puck protection, he has a lot of core strength to quickly pivot and buy time with the puck. Very important pro trait. I see people praising his hands, but I still think that is an erratic quality for him. He'll pull off impressive dangles but then accidentally knock the puck away quite often too. He's improving a lot and if he fixes that issue then I'd say he has high end handling.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I don’t think he’s getting past Montreal at #5-6. He seems to be the type of player Hughes put a premium on and to be fair, he might even be gone before that

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He's significantly smaller than the Tkachuks and not a big hitter. I don't see Iginla below the goal line that often either.

His most remarkable skill is puck protection, he has a lot of core strength to quickly pivot and buy time with the puck. Very important pro trait. I see people praising his hands, but I still think that is an erratic quality for him. He'll pull off impressive dangles but then accidentally knock the puck away quite often too. He's improving a lot and if he fixes that issue then I'd say he has high end handling.
well...

Tij is 184 cm tall (6 foot 0),
Matthew is 188 cm tall (6 foot 2) - 4 cm difference
Brady is 193 cm tall (6 foot 4) - 9 cm difference

significantly? Brady? so and so, Matthew? Tij not much shorter

he loves to go to the net though..

if you meant their weight?, well Iggy Wiggy is 17, i think hell grow, might grow in height as well

Last edited:
Reactions: viper0220

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
well...

Tij is 184 cm tall (6 foot 0),
Matthew is 188 cm tall (6 foot 2) - 4 cm difference
Brady is 193 cm tall (6 foot 4) - 9 cm difference

significantly? Brady? so and so, Matthew? Tij not much shorter

he loves to go to the net though..

if you meant their weight?, well Iggy Wiggy is 17,

Iginla is closer in height to Jack Hughes, Teuvo Teravainen, and Lucas Raymond than he is to Matthew Tkachuk. An inch taller than those guys. He moves a bit like Lucas Raymond. Actually a lot like this guy, doesn't Iginla's puck protection look a bit like Nyquist here?

i think hell grow, might grow in height as well

Something like 10% or less of boys are still getting taller after they turn 17. It's not something you should expect unless you have a medical report saying otherwise, that or if the player is obviously in the middle of a growth spurt.

I think it might be a little more common among NHLers, perhaps just because it is more common among people that end up tall. That and NHL heights are often not honest. College and junior heights often dishonest as well. Zeev Buium is closer to 6'0, certainly not the 6'2 he was listed at for most of the year.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Iginla is closer in height to Jack Hughes, Teuvo Teravainen, and Lucas Raymond than he is to Matthew Tkachuk. An inch taller than those guys. He moves a bit like Lucas Raymond. Actually a lot like this guy, doesn't Iginla's puck protection look a bit like Nyquist here?

Something like 10% or less of boys are still getting taller after they turn 17. It's not something you should expect unless you have a medical report saying otherwise, that or if the player is obviously in the middle of a growth spurt.

I think it might be a little more common among NHLers, perhaps just because it is more common among people that end up tall. That and NHL heights are often not honest. College and junior heights often dishonest as well. Zeev Buium is closer to 6'0, certainly not the 6'2 he was listed at for most of the year.

it probably is uncommon but i just keep wondering how did Kasperi Kapanen grow so much after he was drafted, At draft he was listed at 5 foot 11 (or was it 5 foot 10) now he is 6 foot 1.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

It's so hard to tell. I have one son, very strong, moderate in height, who stopped growing at 16 yo. Another on, leaner, taller, who grew 1 1/2" when he was 19-20 yo. I think it depends on a lot of factors, but in general, a late bloomer is more likely to grow late. They are often thinner, less bulky - the human body stays elastic and less muscular precisely it knows that it knows it has more growing to do.

I know a guy(former NHL'er) who trains hockey players. He maintains that heavy lifting in teens prevents vertical growth, and blames his power lifting during his mid teen years for his average'ish height. Something about bulk being the enemy of growth, I guess.

I grew 1+ inch after the age of 17yo. Have a tallish, lean frame. I know another guy, and his son, who both shot up to 6' at 14 yo, but never grew after that.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
I predict that the loser of tonight's Montreal vs Ottawa game will draft Iginla, and he will haunt the other team for 15 years with big, clutch goals.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Well, his play-offs ended :(

Kelowna was no good vs Prince George, 1-4 series loss.
- outside Tij's last game; 1+2, he scored just 1 point in other 4 games of the series

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Well, his play-offs ended :(

Kelowna was no good vs Prince George, 1-4 series loss.
- outside Tij's last game; 1+2, he scored just 1 point in other 4 games of the series

I thought Tij showed well. He had his looks. PG is an absolute powerhouse and Ravensbergen has been unbeatable behind them

No.

The series is 3-1.

It’s over. 4-1 for the Cougars

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018

Logan Brown was a terrible pick by the Sens. Hindsight is 20-20, but McAvoy should have been the pick.

They overlooked a major material defect... he is a terrible skater, and has no quickness. If it was 20 years ago, when everyone was hooking, and molasses skaters like Jason Allison could dp ok, he might have been ok.

He also has terrible work ethic, and is lazy, but they wouldn't have known that.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
It's so hard to tell. I have one son, very strong, moderate in height, who stopped growing at 16 yo. Another on, leaner, taller, who grew 1 1/2" when he was 19-20 yo. I think it depends on a lot of factors, but in general, a late bloomer is more likely to grow late. They are often thinner, less bulky - the human body stays elastic and less muscular precisely it knows that it knows it has more growing to do.

I know a guy(former NHL'er) who trains hockey players. He maintains that heavy lifting in teens prevents vertical growth, and blames his power lifting during his mid teen years for his average'ish height. Something about bulk being the enemy of growth, I guess.

I grew 1+ inch after the age of 17yo. Have a tallish, lean frame. I know another guy, and his son, who both shot up to 6' at 14 yo, but never grew after that.
When I was 18 in highschool, I was 6’2”. I grew nearly 2 inches in college. Suffice to say, everyones genetics are different for growth. Some people’s bodies are in their prime in their early 20’s, some in their mid 30’s.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad