F Tij Iginla - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2024 NHL Draft)

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Lack of structure and physical play relative to which leagues?
Ncaa, some euro junior leagues - vertical structure pushes euro junior teams to teach their players to play more defensive and accurate game. CHL were more physical few years ago but referring changed.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
He played literally every game as a winger in his draft year. And he’s playing as a winger in the NHL.
The Anaheim Ducks have him listed as a center on their roster. You should call them and have them correct that since he is obviously a winger

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
So many elements in Iginla's game show he will be a 1st line guy. On the power play he can play the bumper position or be the net front presence guy. His motor is unmatched in this draft class. If you look at players with the best motors in the NHL, they all have incredible work ethic. Nathan Mackinnon is a good example of this. He has only improved as the season has come along (29 points in his last 17 games). He has tremendous strength when he is using his 10-2 edges to fend off defenders. His ability to maintain puck control against even the larger foes in the WHL is really impressive.

When I look at prospects at the junior level, prospects ability to make big hits isn't nearly as important to me as how prospects are able to take hits and keep moving forward (rocky quote). Physicality doesn't phase Tij and he doesn't go out of his way to make dumb hits. He is very technical with his physicality. The skill is really impressive and pretty underrated. His one weakness is his vision at times. He will get hyper focused on protecting the puck from the opposition. Regardless, If you look at the sum of all parts, you are getting an elite goal scorer with some really good upside. He might not be an elite playmaker, but he can be an elite play driver/puck-hound that scores every other game.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
His stock amongst armchair scouts seems to be skyrocketing with his playoff performance in the dub.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him go as early a 6, or as late as 12 to be honest. This draft seems to have a middle tier of guys who are sort of in the same area.

Reactions: Doublechin

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I want to jump in on the Tij talk. I’m extremely high on his upside

First off, we have to talk about the shot. Whether it's shooting off a pass or creating his own opportunities, Iginla possesses a truly lethal release. His ability to curl and drag is NHL quality. It’s a tool we see more and more with younger players. He uses it to shoot around defenders and deceive goalies. With a blend of accuracy and power, he can score from virtually any spot on the ice, making him a constant threat in the offensive zone

Beyond the shot, the most projectable qualities are his size and ability to play on the inside. Iginla welcomes contact. He lures defenders into pressuring him , then uses his size and skating to bounce off contact, maintaining possession. Then he immediately has his head up looking to create. His lower body reminds me of Matthew Tkachuk’s. He's a force down low, making life difficult for defenders and creating scoring chances in the process. On top of the size and willingness to play through contact he also has a relentless pursuit of the middle of the ice. He is constantly attacking the middle. His mindset is to get into the areas where goals are scored. This trait translates to the NHL. Just imagine him with added strength. It’s scary. His determination to attack the most dangerous areas consistently puts pressure on opposing defenses and opens up scoring opportunities for himself and his teammates

I touched on it a bit above, but his skating is also a strength. He has impressive speed, power and agility. He has great edges and knows how to use them. Whether it's a faint to get around a defender or to break through a check, his edges allow him to change speed, protect the puck effectively and evade defenders. He loves to bait opponents into contact before swiftly maneuvering past them. These are very translatable tools

With all the tools you want offensively, he has the IQ to match. While he's primarily known for his scoring prowess, he demonstrates a willingness to distribute the puck when necessary, showcasing adept passing skills even on his backhand. This versatility will make him a dual threat in the offensive zone. While this is a strength today, I do want to see him expand this area of his game. His shot is so lethal that defenders need to respect it, which opens up more lanes for his teammates. He will learn how to find these passes more often as he develops

His defensive game isn’t as polished as his offence but I don’t see it as a concern moving forward. He has the IQ and commitment. I think it will come with time and reps. He forchecks like a demon and loves to strip opponents. He is such a pain in the ass to play against, I see no reason why he can’t translate this to defence. Again, it will take time

I think what really sells me on TIj though is his potential. Throughout the season, Iginla has shown significant growth and development, with all signs pointing towards continued improvement. While still relatively raw, his trajectory, tools and frame suggests immense potential to me. As he adds strength and fills out his frame all the above mentioned tools will get better. On top of that you can't get a better environment to grow up in. The mentorship and training he had/has access to is a massive positive in my mind. I’d add that NHL teams love bloodlines. Also as an August birthday, he’s one of the youngest players in the draft

Iginla’s performance of late has elevated his draft stock, making him a top-ten selection on most boards, even pushing top top-five talk. I’m gonna stick my neck out here. While the top two spots on my board are locked, I think he has an argument for three. I wont be shocked if his name is called that high on draft day

Last edited:

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Iginla’s performance of late has elevated his draft stock, making him a top-ten selection on most boards, even pushing top top-five talk. I’m gonna stick my neck out here. While the top two spots on my board are locked, I think he has an argument for three. I wont be shocked if his name is called that high on draft day
Agree. Started researching when I thought he was an a range my fav team's pick mid-round. Came to the conclusion pretty quickly that there's no way he'd be available. He's good at the things NHL goal scorers (as opposed to jr goal scorers) have to be good at - quickly making just enough space using a variety of tools as opposed to merely cranking wide open looks.

Reactions: McMozesmadness

gothegr8

Jul 7, 2012
Why do you think Montreal will take him? Gorton/Hughes have mostly went with Euro players in their high picks.
Personnally, the only pattern i see for the Habs with the new management is the high compete level and intangibles, which really fits with Iginla too.

Kent Hughes also talked a bit about that yesterday on Seravalli's podcast, Montreal is a tough place to play and the mental side of it seems to be very important for them.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I was reading through the last few pages and wanted to touch on the NHL nepotism angle. If I'm debating between two similar prospects and one of them has an NHL connection, I'm taking the one with the NHL connection damn near every single time. Yea a lot of these guys are given extra opportunities your average person wouldn't get, but they also have to perform once they get to that CHL/NCAA/JrA level.

But the difference is, they've been groomed for the pros from day 1. These guys have likely seen their dads/uncles play. They're around NHLers from a young age. They're training like a pro as a teenager. They can step in to the NHL and "get it" in a way your average person can't. There's value in that.

The Tkachuks have outperformed their draft positions. Doan looks like he'll do the same.

I recently listened to Trent Frederic's interview on 32 thoughts and he touches on that as well. He's not a legacy himself, but he grew up with the Tkachuks and Logan Brown in St. Louis and credited those NHL connections with giving him an edge that not everyone got.

Reactions: ello and Ezpz

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Calgary fans better hope their team tanks to a position below the Habs. Because i don't see the Habs passing on Tif if he is available. He is exactly what the Habs need. And he is a very low-risk-of-bust candidate. Has a high floor.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary fans better hope their team tanks to a position below the Habs. Because i don't see the Habs passing on Tif if he is available. He is exactly what the Habs need. And he is a very low-risk-of-bust candidate. Has a high floor.
Yes, because we will be devastated with settling for Catton/Lindstrom/Dickenson
WTF is with you guys? Sure we'd like Tij, but we're getting a good prospect regardless.
You Montreal fans are being childish with the "nah nah a poo poo, we're getting Tij - not you" crap

• Haha
Reactions: Favster

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yes, because we will be devastated with settling for Catton/Lindstrom/Dickenson
WTF is with you guys? Sure we'd like Tij, but we're getting a good prospect regardless.
You Montreal fans are being childish with the "nah nah a poo poo, we're getting Tij - not you" crap
LOL, why so bitter? This is a forum. We are very high on Tij. Habs fans / Flames fans. Just appreciate the player and try not to cry when he dons a Habs jersey! ;)

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
LOL, why so bitter? This is a forum. We are very high on Tij. Habs fans / Flames fans. Just appreciate the player and try not to cry when he dons a Habs jersey! ;)
I'm bitter because you guys keep lauding him over us. That's great you value him, so does every other fanbase. Leave us out of it please.
We will always appreciate the name, regardless of where he plays

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I'm bitter because you guys keep lauding him over us. That's great you value him, so does every other fanbase. Leave us out of it please.
We will always appreciate the name, regardless of where he plays
Salute the rank, not the man.

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
I could see Anaheim and Columbus both taking long looks at Tij, even before Montreal gets there. He would be a nice piece to have along side their young talented centres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad