F Mac Swanson - Fargo Force, USHL (2024 Draft)

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Has 2+2 in the first two final games where his team has won both.

Has 5+11=16 points in 10 playoff games. Next best in the playoffs has 9 points.

Playoff MVP will be his too. One of the most dominant draft-eligible seasons in the USHL ever.

I know he’s 5’8, but he needs to get more respect than he’s getting.
Could legitimately be the next Johnny Gaudreau

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
Could legitimately be the next Johnny Gaudreau
Hockey Prospecting Dashboard (2).png

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Caps off his season with Playoff MVP. Lead the playoffs in scoring by 7 points with 5+12=17 points in 12 games. His 17 points in this year's playoffs were tied for the most in the USHL since the 2016 playoffs.

Won all of the following this season for Fargo:
  • Regular season title
  • Playoff title
  • League All First Team
  • League Forward of the Year
  • League Player of the Year
  • League Playoff MVP

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
In the article he was referred to by an anonymous scout as 5’7, but Central Scouting had him at 5’8 in the most recent listing. We’ll get a better idea at the combine of what he actually is, but his father is 5’10 or 5’11, so it wouldn’t be too big of a surprise if he grew an inch or two from last season through this one.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
In the article he was referred to by an anonymous scout as 5’7, but Central Scouting had him at 5’8 in the most recent listing. We’ll get a better idea at the combine of what he actually is, but his father is 5’10 or 5’11, so it wouldn’t be too big of a surprise if he grew an inch or two from last season through this one.
He's unlikely to be at the combine

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
He's grown on me. His vision and ability to see the ice is the best I've seen of a player in the past three drafts. He makes some incredible feeds. He's a powerplay wizard. He's small and lacks the burst to separate.. that's a concern for any player when projecting their offense to higher levels. Is he slippery enough and does he anticipate the play well enough that it doesn't matter? Odds are against him and that's why he probably won't be a top 75 pick, but I give him more of chance then I did at the beginning of the year. He's either a 45+ assist player or an AHL superstar. I don't see any in between here.

If you put him a grouping with Max Plante and Christian Humphreys - they're all small. They're all below average skaters by NHL standards. If things go well for those two, they're 50 point middle sixers? Maybe a bit more. Why not take a chance on someone that with an actual elite attribute? That's where I'm at right now.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Wilmer was nowhere near as accomplished.
They both finished atop the USHL

Wilmer spent his 17 year old year in the USNTDP.

They are both just as accomplished outside of the playoffs, with Swanson being a year earlier.

Regardless, the combine is put off by NHL central scouting, unless teams are requesting him, which absolutely could happen as it does every year, it’s unlikely they’ll be extending an invite to their 152nd ranked NA skater.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
They both finished atop the USHL

Wilmer spent his 17 year old year in the USNTDP.

They are both just as accomplished outside of the playoffs, with Swanson being a year earlier.

Regardless, the combine is put off by NHL central scouting, unless teams are requesting him, which absolutely could happen as it does every year, it’s unlikely they’ll be extending an invite to their 152nd ranked NA skater.
What you are leaving out is that Wilmer was the top scorer in the USHL the year after the first time he sat through not getting drafted. Swanson hasn’t went through the draft yet. Thats a big difference.

NHL Central Scouting makes the list, but they are only one scouting service. They aren’t some religious gospel. They can rate Swanson wherever they want, but they need to be fair to all prospects and not use their own biases to make the combine invite list. Not including a first year draft eligible who was the USHL POY and Playoff MVP is pretty indefensible.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What you are leaving out is that Wilmer was the top scorer in the USHL the year after the first time he sat through not getting drafted. Swanson hasn’t went through the draft yet. Thats a big difference.

NHL Central Scouting makes the list, but they are only one scouting service. They aren’t some religious gospel. They can rate Swanson wherever they want, but they need to be fair to all prospects and not use their own biases to make the combine invite list. Not including a first year draft eligible who was the USHL POY and Playoff MVP is pretty indefensible.
Central Scouting literally put on the combine, their ranking is a gigantic part of the invites.

They send the invites with the help of NHL teams, so you get guys like Jack Sparkes invited while being 120+ on the NHLCS rankings because teams wanted him there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad