F Mac Swanson - Fargo Force, USHL (2024 Draft)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Drafted 5th overall in the phase 1 selection by Fargo in the USHL. He is from Ancorage Alaska and is an Intense, high energy forward that plays through traffic well, he has a solid shot and great vision in the offensive end. He plays hard at both ends of the ice - his motor is always going.
Should be interesting to see how things progress going forward.

USHL Rights: Fargo Force
USHL Futures Draft: Fargo Force (R1, 2022, #5 Overall)

WHL Rights: Kamloops Blazers
WHL US Prospects Draft: Kamloops Blazers (R1, 2021, #10 Overall)

NCAA Commitment: North Dakota

Team Alaska -> Fargo Force

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's such a shame this guy is only 5'7. He's really good. Best player on the American U17 team at the 5 Nations, but probably not the best prospect right now due only to his height. I don't think the size impacts him that much at this age, but I don't know if he's good enough to be a 5'7 center in the NHL.

His passing ability is crazy. Eyes in the back of his head good. His touch is almost always on point. He skates well, but for his size it probably needs to get better. Hockey sense is really good. And he's good defensively due to his sense. Anticipation is really good with his defending. Physically, he's not soft, but he's undersized, so there are limitations.

He still has 22 months to grow before being drafted, so even if he's 5'9 I could see him being a first round pick. For now though, it's hard to see how he's a first round caliber prospect.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It's such a shame this guy is only 5'7. He's really good. Best player on the American U17 team at the 5 Nations, but probably not the best prospect right now due only to his height. I don't think the size impacts him that much at this age, but I don't know if he's good enough to be a 5'7 center in the NHL.

His passing ability is crazy. Eyes in the back of his head good. His touch is almost always on point. He skates well, but for his size it probably needs to get better. Hockey sense is really good. And he's good defensively due to his sense. Anticipation is really good with his defending. Physically, he's not soft, but he's undersized, so there are limitations.

He still has 22 months to grow before being drafted, so even if he's 5'9 I could see him being a first round pick. For now though, it's hard to see how he's a first round caliber prospect.

Sounds a bit like a forward version of Lane Hutson minus the elite skating.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sounds a bit like a forward version of Lane Hutson.

I could see that. I was trying to think of a realistic comparison, and I came up with Mats Zuccarello.

He has a similar offensive skillset to Zegras, while physically being Caufield or a little bigger.

On the first shift of the first game I watched he took the opening face off and dominated that shift. I had a feeling he was our best player after watching one shift of one game, and after one period I was pretty sure of it. I continued to watch a few games and he was the best, even if Park probably ends up drafted higher.

I guess the NTDP felt they had enough small skill forwards and the others probably aren’t 5’7. Might be better for his progression anyway to play USHL for a team with less skill than try to compete with players like Hagens and Eiserman for playing time.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He has 2 points through 2 games with Fargo in the USHL. He’s playing top line LW the first two games.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s having a great U17 season with 3+9=12 points in 13 games. Only two U17’s with more points are Celebrini and Hagens.

Could be the 2024 version of Jayden Perron from the USHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
1+1 tonight puts him at 14 points in 14 games. He’s having an incredible season for a U17 in the USHL. Non-NTDP category, only 6 players have ever finished season 1PPG or more in their U17 USHL season. Three nobodies, but the other three are Vanek, Svechnikov, and Savoie.

He’s 5’7, so he’s not going to get much discussion yet, but he’s going to have a good chance to be an impactful NHL’er. Not a lock for it due to his size, but he has time to get taller and he might end up being one of those smaller players that can impact games in the best league in the world.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ll be a broken record. 2+1 tonight. Now has 17 points in 15 games. He’s the leading U17 scorer in the USHL and 7th in the league for all players.

None of this should have caught anyone off guard. He was the best American player at the summer U17 tournament by a lot. I’d be interested to know if he declined the NTDP invite. He’s obviously one of the best American players in that age group. Is it really only his size why he didn’t make that team?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Putting up points at a pretty good clip for a 16 year old in the USHL. Can anyone give me a scouting report on him? Wondering about his shot/skating/skill, etc.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Putting up points at a pretty good clip for a 16 year old in the USHL. Can anyone give me a scouting report on him? Wondering about his shot/skating/skill, etc.

Has tremendous passing skills and hockey sense. Makes some passes no one could imagine are there. Good shot and puck skills. He’s the guy that runs the PP. His offensive skills are that good.

Competitive and he’s good defensively due to his hockey sense, but the drawback is his size. He’s 5’7. He skates well enough for 5’7, but probably not more than NHL average. A good comparison might be Mats Zuccarello. His father is 5’10, so if he has a big growth spurt left to 5’10, his hype will start to increase a lot.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Commits to North Dakota...huge get, even if he doesn't grow much, he's going to be a kid who has an awesome NCAA career.

He narrowed to North Dakota, Minnesota, and Denver. Visited all three, and liked North Dakota the best.

I think playing in North Dakota this season and the season going as well as it has can’t hurt ND’s pitch to him either.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Four assists tonight. Now has 22 points in 17 games.

He’s fifth in the league in points, second in assists, and there have only been two U17 USHL seasons ever at a higher PPG than what he’s at now, Thomas Vanek and Jack Hughes.

I knew he was good and thought it was possible he could be next season’s version of Jayden Perron. He’s exceeded all expectations you could possibly have for his season. He actually has the same amount of points as Perron in one less game, and he’s a year younger. Perron is having a great season also.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Added to the World Junior A Challenge roster.

That’s a huge honor for him. Only the third American ever to make the team in his U17 year. Probably won’t play much, but shows how highly regarded he is by USA Hockey.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
4 points tonight. It was against Latvia, but same team everyone else is playing.

He has 1+4=5 points in 4 games so far. Second on the American team in points.

I think 2nd all time in one tournament for a U17 player is within reach. It's 7 points. The record of 12 by Svechnikov probably is out of reach. Only four guys have been 1PPG for the tournament as a U17, Svechnikov, Kuznetsov, Grigorenko, and Kabanov.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This dude might be my favorite player for the 2024 draft.

Had 55 points in 57 games for Fargo this season. Fargo was the best team in the regular season and lost in the final. He was probably their second best player this season, and there weren't too many better players league-wide. As a U17. Yeah, he's not Celebrini, but doing that as a U17 is very notable and rarely happens, especially non-NTDP players. He had the 6th most points ever for a U17 in a USHL season. Most assists ever for a U17 in the USHL.

The obvious downside is that he's 5'7. I'm starting to doubt if he'll be a first rounder next year. You see where Cristall and Perron went, and then realize Swanson is listed at a few inches shorter right now. If he gets to 5'9/5'10, you can easily see him being more of a Benson than a Cristall or Perron. He's better than Cristall/Perron, but at 5'7, it's hard to see him being a first rounder, so he needs to grow another few inches. Don't doubt his ability and that he'll be one of the short players that makes it, but draft slot, yes.

He'll be the headline name on the US Hlinka team this year, and would help his draft stock a lot with a big tournament. That he can dominate the USHL isn't in question. It'll help him to show it in a big international tournament.

My scouting report from his USHL season.

He’s the most exciting player in the USHL. His passing is absolutely crazy. There are few players in hockey who can spot these passes that he can. And he does it so often, and so quickly. He has his mind made up where the puck is going before he gets it. He’s a magician. I thought it might take him some time to adjust to the USHL and he’d be a 2nd/3rd round pick, but at this rate, no chance. He’s pretty dominant in these games. Creates so many scoring chances, and already runs the PP of one of the best USHL teams. He’ll push the patience of how early a team will pick a 5’7 forward. In a way, it’s a similar question as when Caufield was being drafted, although they play pretty differently. Swanson is a star, except he’s 5’7. Skating could use minor work, but otherwise his size is the only obstacle. Everything else suggests an NHL star. It’s also worth mentioning that his father is 5’10, so maybe he grows another few inches. And if that happens, he’s going to really push his way towards the earliest picks of the 2024 draft. If not, I still think a top 15 range is possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad