F Mac Swanson - Fargo Force, USHL (2024 Draft)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He's been a disappointment at the Hlinka. He missed a game with an injury, so it's hard to say how healthy he's been, but he's mostly been a non-factor here when he should have been an impact player capable of being near the top of the scoring leaders. He also should not be playing center, which isn't helping. He's far too skilled to be as quiet as he's been even if he's not a top tier prospect given his size and average skating.

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckProspects

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The biggest issue is, at least for now, is we've figured out he's definitely not a center. He didn't play any center last season in the USHL. He's just too small, and it kind of shows when he's running around all over the ice. The Canada game was definitely the worst too. The other games we had more of the puck, but covering the whole ice is totally not his game. If he grows significantly in the next year (his father is 5'10), maybe it changes. You'd like to keep playmakers in the center of the ice, but there's a certain point where they are too small.

Gotta let him play a pure scoring role on a line with bigger players that will grind it out, and let him just focus on creating. Because even though he hasn't been at his best, he's still showed his incredible touch on a few goals. US coach put together such stupid lines, and Swanson didn't get any help with line-mates either. I'm not too down on him, as he's gotten a point in each game (and also had a sick assist in the pre-tournament game), but yeah he's certainly not taken over or anything like that. He's probably just too small for that, but in a more-structured team with properly situated roles, he's a brilliant source of playmaking.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Good mind for the game, but not a pick for me at this point. I don’t think he’s fast enough to play at that size. I’m guessing his career goes the way of a Taylor Cammarata.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good mind for the game, but not a pick for me at this point. I don’t think he’s fast enough to play at that size. I’m guessing his career goes the way of a Taylor Cammarata.

Sorry, this is ludicrous. When you are almost 1PPG as a U-17, you are absolutely a projected draft pick. He might go no higher than Jordan Dumais (unlikely), but smaller scorers reach a certain point where teams can’t pass up a potential top 6 forward.

Let’s not overreact to him having an indifferent Hlinka (is a point in every game that bad?). It’s summer hockey and he was playing out of position.

He was basically the second best 2024 draft eligible in all of NA junior last season, leaving out the NTDP players. Doesn’t mean he’ll be the second highest pick, but this is starting to get out of hand how some of these guys are viewed as busts by some people before their careers even start due to their size. I get it, odds against them, but scoring ability, even for smaller players, always has a place in the NHL.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Sorry, this is ludicrous. When you are almost 1PPG as a U-17, you are absolutely a projected draft pick. He might go no higher than Jordan Dumais (unlikely), but smaller scorers reach a certain point where teams can’t pass up a potential top 6 forward.

Let’s not overreact to him having an indifferent Hlinka (is a point in every game that bad?). It’s summer hockey and he was playing out of position.

He was basically the second best 2024 draft eligible in all of NA junior last season, leaving out the NTDP players. Doesn’t mean he’ll be the second highest pick, but this is starting to get out of hand how some of these guys are viewed as busts by some people before their careers even start due to their size. I get it, odds against them, but scoring ability, even for smaller players, always has a place in the NHL.
Either that poster meant first round pick or is just very misinformed. Nearly PPG in an age 16 year in the USHL is certainly getting dragged unless something terribly terribly goes wrong in age 17 year.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019

Either that poster meant first round pick or is just very misinformed. Nearly PPG in an age 16 year in the USHL is certainly getting dragged unless something terribly terribly goes wrong in age 17 year.
I didn't say he won't be drafted period. I said he's not someone I'd be interested in drafting (using the qualifier at this point). There's a difference in that statement. I'm sure some team will take a chance but it won't be in the 1st and I doubt it will be in the 2nd either.

Junior production is great, but a 5'7 forward without an extra gear is a real tough sell. I am basing this solely of the Hlinka so happy to be proven wrong here.

Reactions: wetcoast

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I didn't say he won't be drafted period. I said he's not someone I'd be interested in drafting (using the qualifier at this point). There's a difference in that statement. I'm sure some team will take a chance but it won't be in the 1st and I doubt it will be in the 2nd either.

Junior production is great, but a 5'7 forward without an extra gear is a real tough sell. I am basing this solely of the Hlinka so happy to be proven wrong here.
You wouldn’t want your team burning a seventh round pick even?

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
You wouldn’t want your team burning a seventh round pick even?
I mean we're arguing semantics at this point. In the 5th / 6th / 7th you're looking for a player that has an NHL caliber trait, but is raw and has developmental runaway ahead of them. Ideally is trending up. The 16 year old superstars who lack the NHL physical tools are rarely (ever?) the ones who make it from that range.

I didn't intend to bring too much negativity to this thread. Just stating my view after watching a player I expected a lot more from for the first time.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He definitely has NHL caliber hockey sense and playmaking. I’ve said the comparison is Mats Zuccarello.

His skating is absolutely no concern. It probably looked worse because he was playing the more demanding skating position at the Hlinka. He’s outgrown center, unless he grows. His father is 5’10, so it’s not like a given he stays at 5’7. Lane Hutson was an inch taller at the same point and grew a few inches afterwards, so it sometimes happens. He played winger all of last year and the genius US coaches somehow decided the good centers would play in the bottom six and our best winger would play center.

When he can drift and not have to focus on the athletic parts of the game, he’s brilliant. He gains the zone well too, but combine a player that’s not a goal line to goal line player with a player that naturally plays a cerebral game, and his skating looks like a bigger issue than it is.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
A ho-hum 3 assists in his first 3 games. He can do better. He’s also playing center to start the season, which I’m not sure I think makes a ton of sense, but he can move off it once he reaches a better level of hockey.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Swanson had an excellent WJA tournament. Tremendous vision and hockey sense. Some brilliant feeds as PB shared above.

He was much, much better than what he showed at the Hlinka. Still think it will be an uphill battle for him to get an NHL look, but it's easy to like the way he plays the game.

James Reeder owes him a nice dinner or two. He was feeding him tap ins all tournament.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ended the tournament tied for the lead in points with 2+9=11 points in 6 games. Led the tournament in assists. Now tied for the all time total WJAC points record with 16. Has the all time assists record alone with 13.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad