F Mac Swanson - Fargo Force, USHL (2024 Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
16+33=49 points in 35 games. He’s 3rd in the USHL in points and only two behind the leader. Has a higher PPG than both ahead of him. Very real chance he could lead the league in scoring having missed five games.

Still won’t be picked first two rounds because he’s too short. If he somehow shows up to the combine and measures in at like 5’9.5 instead of 5’7, that might elevate him like two full rounds from third to first. I think that’s the only thing keeping his stock so low.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
16+33=49 points in 35 games. He’s 3rd in the USHL in points and only two behind the leader. Has a higher PPG than both ahead of him. Very real chance he could lead the league in scoring having missed five games.

Still won’t be picked first two rounds because he’s too short. If he somehow shows up to the combine and measures in at like 5’9.5 instead of 5’7, that might elevate him like two full rounds from third to first. I think that’s the only thing keeping his stock so low.

Mac Swanson and Justin Poirier are two intriguing guys like that for this draft.. skill level and tools wise they will be picked behind a lot of guys they shouldn't be because of how small they are.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Swanson really doesn't have plus tools. If he did, there would be more intrigue with him. Like a good chess player, his game is built on thinking one or two steps ahead and breaking down a defense. It's all quick plays, finding soft areas, small area stuff. Very good vision and hockey sense. As smart of a player as you'll see. Everything else though is a question mark. He's small. He's not an explosive skater. He's not fast. Doesn't have game breaking skill. Doesn't have a heavy shot.

He won't be a center in the NHL. Simply doesn't have the skillset. He pretty much has to be a 40+ assist type from the wing to make it.

I'm a hockey sense over tools guy, but there has to be some baseline. You can know what to do, but it doesn't matter if you can't create any space for yourself because your neither big enough or a good enough skater.

Reactions: wetcoast

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Swanson really doesn't have plus tools. If he did, there would be more intrigue with him. Like a good chess player, his game is built on thinking one or two steps ahead and breaking down a defense. It's all quick plays, finding soft areas, small area stuff. Very good vision and hockey sense. As smart of a player as you'll see. Everything else though is a question mark. He's small. He's not an explosive skater. He's not fast. Doesn't have game breaking skill. Doesn't have a heavy shot.

He won't be a center in the NHL. Simply doesn't have the skillset. He pretty much has to be a 40+ assist type from the wing to make it.

I'm a hockey sense over tools guy, but there has to be some baseline. You can know what to do, but it doesn't matter if you can't create any space for yourself because your neither big enough or a good enough skater.
Don’t you think hockey sense and vision are plus tools? Or you are not counting those as tools?

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Don’t you think hockey sense and vision are plus tools? Or you are not counting those as tools?
Edit - Tools, I'm more talking size and individual skillset. How well you skate, how you shoot the puck, etc.

Last edited:

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Mac Swanson and Justin Poirier are two intriguing guys like that for this draft.. skill level and tools wise they will be picked behind a lot of guys they shouldn't be because of how small they are.
These are both not the same. Poirier has some legit power in his game. He's thick. I think Swanson has a much harder time making the league. Think TJ Tynan. Poirier is more like debrincat. One of the top dogs in his draft yr in a top 3 CHL team.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
When was he last measured?

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
17797245_0.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: SimGrindcore

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
My review of what I've watched from him this season. Has 18+35=53 points in 39 games (4th in the league per game).

He’s a complete surgeon out there on the ice. He’s always aware of where everyone is on the ice, and if you leave one of his teammates slightly open in the offensive zone he’ll find them. For a 5’7 player, he’s not afraid of going to the net, but has obvious limitations. Not afraid to shoot it. His playmaking is better, but he’s not only a perimeter playmaker. I think he skates pretty well. He’s not high effort. He’s more methodical, so he slows the game down, and plays a lot of east to west hockey. It can look like he’s playing slow, but I find when he really needs to play fast he has solid speed. He’s about average defensively for a smaller forward. He’s played some center, but I think he profiles a lot better on the wing. The hockey sense and playmaking is elite, as is the pure scoring totals. With the right coach that trusts in him, you’ll get a top six winger. But if he finds himself in the wrong situation, he might never get the chance due to his size. I don’t see that much of a difference between the risk associated with him and someone like Caufield (who went mid-first round), so I think any later than early second you’re getting a steal.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
1+1 last night.

Leads the USHL in points per game (non-NTDP category) with 24+44=68 points in 49 games (1.39).

Has 29 points in his last 16 games, including points in 15 of 16 and a 7 point game thrown in there.

He’s the best player on the best team in the USHL. Crazy that he could go outside the first two rounds. Cole Caufield went round one.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I’d want my team to take a chance on the 2nd/3rd round. You never know if he’ll develop similarly to Johnny Gaudreau did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad