F John "LJ" Mooney - Pittsburgh Penguins Elite, U16 AAA (2025 Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's been excellent since being up with the U18s. Another goal and assist today. Feels whatever line he's on has been the most dangerous line. Mooney has showed a nice release, hands, good finishing touch, and good hockey sense. Looked good with Humphreys today. I'd keep those two together.
I think Mooney is earning his spot on this team and will probably stick. But I don't like the idea of a 5'6 guy at center for the U18 Worlds, especially with Humphreys already being weak off the puck and a perimeter winger, so I'd make some type of change to that line. Probably putting LVV back in the middle if/when he returns and move Mooney to the wing.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
You folks know more than I do but everything I've ever read about Mooney is the kid has the goods. I don't care if he's 3-4 inches too short. If you can make the NTDP team and get a call up to the 18s you are a fantastic hockey player. I think sometimes folks only care about the kid making the NHL. There are other conversations like can the kid get a scholarship and excel in college and make something of himself. The NHL will sort itself out. Good conversations nonetheless. I'm pulling for Mooney!

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I think Mooney is earning his spot on this team and will probably stick. But I don't like the idea of a 5'6 guy at center for the U18 Worlds, especially with Humphreys already being weak off the puck and a perimeter winger, so I'd make some type of change to that line. Probably putting LVV back in the middle if/when he returns and move Mooney to the wing.
He should stick based on what he's shown so far, but agree he'll be at wing. You could run Mooney-LVV-Humphreys and see how it goes.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I haven't seen him play in like a year, man has he gotten good. Quicker, faster, stronger.

This kid is going to be an absolute stud.

Reactions: 95snipes

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yeah, I don’t have a point of comparison cause this is my first time seeing him live but there’s a lot to like here, size will give some NHL GMs pause though

He definitely looks like he's grown, he started the year listed 5'7 150, but it looks like he's closer 5'8+ 160 right now.

I would expect him to end up listed around 5'8.5-5'9 160-165 by the time the combine rolls around. He just turned 17, lots of potential for growth.

Regardless, with the success of guys like Kane, Gaudreau, Hughes, Hughes, Bedard, Fox, Point, Caufield, Debrincat, Keller, Bratt, Cooley, Maccelli, Atkinson, Jarvis, Garland etc I think GM's should take any size concerns about a guy with Mooney's skating ability with a grain of salt. And yeah, I know some of those guys are "5'10", I think that's probably generous.

If you can skate and think fast, you can be an impactful NHL player, no matter your size.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
He definitely looks like he's grown, he started the year listed 5'7 150, but it looks like he's closer 5'8+ 160 right now.

I would expect him to end up listed around 5'8.5-5'9 160-165 by the time the combine rolls around. He just turned 17, lots of potential for growth.

Regardless, with the success of guys like Kane, Gaudreau, Hughes, Hughes, Bedard, Fox, Point, Caufield, Debrincat, Keller, Bratt, Cooley, Maccelli, Atkinson, Jarvis, Garland etc I think GM's should take any size concerns about a guy with Mooney's skating ability with a grain of salt. And yeah, I know some of those guys are "5'10", I think that's probably generous.

If you can skate and think fast, you can be an impactful NHL player, no matter your size.
Have heard some concerns about Mooney's size, but he's never been the kind of player to rely on it. If he works on his fitness and core strength, the speed will pop with his smooth stride. He already has the hands and brain of an NHLer, IMO.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad