F John "LJ" Mooney - Pittsburgh Penguins Elite, U16 AAA (2025 Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he's as fun as the warnings said he would be. His hands, skating, shooting release, stick-handling, passing (definitely more of a shooter though) is all elite.

But he's 5'6. He plays with good energy. Best case is probably that he ends up being Logan Stankoven, which I don't think is like a pipe dream.

I can't see him being a sure first round pick. He's too small, but if he grows a few inches to 5'8 or so and continues to do well you could potentially convince yourself that he's going to succeed in the NHL. Root for Stankoven to have success, if you want Mooney to get drafted higher.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
He reminds me a bit of how I viewed Daniel Sprong back in the day, albeit smaller.

I saw them as guys who didn't necessarily always make the smartest overall decisions offensively and did try to force things, maybe don't defer their line mates in certain times- but at the end of the day the skill level is just so high they still end up being a huge positive impact in the game.

I'm not really sure what to think for draft stock/future because of the size, but he obviously has a skill set that will keep him a star at every level pre NHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pre today (data hasn't uploaded yet), he's only 5th for forwards in points (2nd in goals). He was also 7th in TOI today. He's a good NTDP player, but he's not like the leading guy. I think he'll probably be drafted. It could be as high as 2nd or 3rd round if he shows good progress next season and grows a little more, but he's probably not as good as the early discussion.

A lot of that is the jump to junior is ginormous, and this is when you start playing a team with 10 players 6'2 or taller and 190+, yet I don't think the people that were saying he'd be great were wrong when it comes to shooting, puck skills, and skating. He's a standout in those areas, but thats not enough when you are 5'6 to be able to do the same thing to the same degree in junior.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Pre today (data hasn't uploaded yet), he's only 5th for forwards in points (2nd in goals). He was also 7th in TOI today. He's a good NTDP player, but he's not like the leading guy. I think he'll probably be drafted. It could be as high as 2nd or 3rd round if he shows good progress next season and grows a little more, but he's probably not as good as the early discussion.

A lot of that is the jump to junior is ginormous, and this is when you start playing a team with 10 players 6'2 or taller and 200+, yet I don't think the people that were saying he'd be great were wrong when it comes to shooting, puck skills, and skating. He's a standout in those areas, but thats not enough when you are 5'6 to be able to do the same thing to the same degree in junior.
To counter that, there are 5 forwards within 2 points of each other. So he was only 2 pts back of being 2nd in pts (he might even be after today I didn't check the boxscore) and being 2nd on the team in goals. while being 7th in ice - time. That's actually super impressive.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
To counter that, there are 5 forwards within 2 points of each other. So he was only 2 pts back of being 2nd in pts (he might even be after today I didn't check the boxscore) and being 2nd on the team in goals. while being 7th in ice - time. That's actually super impressive.
Right, I totally get your point. He's one of the better scoring forwards on the team. I think though what we heard was that he was "the guy" for this NTDP year before the season. He's clearly not "the guy" for this NTDP year after nearly a full season of games for the team.

But I agree he's good, and one of the better scorers on the team. Definitely a top 2-3 goal-scorer. Overall offense and all contributions for a forward he's top 6 (or no worse than 7th). Thats good and nothing to be ashamed of. Even at 5'6 I think he's on pace to be drafted.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I find him very likable.

At the junior level where size doesn't matter that much, he's very good. Could make an argument he's the best forward on the team purely against juniors.

His compete level is very good for such a small player. Never gives up on plays, gives up a lot of height and weight, but is always battling for the puck. Also very smart defensively. He could be a center at the NHL level, if the height ever becomes manageable. Right now, I can't see it. He's 5'6. He's a little weak on face-offs and the height is obviously a factor, but otherwise has the attributes of a very good shoot-first center.

I think Logan Stankoven is the very realistic hope of what he can become. Potentially Stankoven lights up the NHL next year, Mooney grows an inch or two, and has a great draft season and someone is willing to gamble on him late first, but round two makes the most sense to me. And I think realistically you are talking about a player who will likely be moving off center eventually.

Reactions: BKarchitect

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
Up with the U18s tonight!
79683A4B-AAA1-43A1-AA88-5ED7C570512B.jpeg

Reactions: clevelandcane

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I thought he was the most talented player on the '17s, but wasn't expecting this. I don't think it's underserved though. I would assume he's staying up for good if they were to make this move.

Still a long ways to go, but someone like Cole Caufield helps his draft prospects.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The U18s have two forwards (who shouldn't be at risk of a demotion) out with injury and the U17s don't play until tomorrow. Both NTDP teams are at home this weekend I wouldn't read this (yet) as a promotion, but obviously not a bad sign for when/if those happen.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is absolutely okay for junior hockey. He’s not the best NHL prospect on the 17’s, but best junior player? Yeah, you can make a good argument he is, although I don’t think it’s clear cut.

He’s already playing regularly against junior aged competition. This isn’t that different. I don’t love him at center for this team. I actually am not convinced it’ll stick the rest of the season because LVV and Humphreys are both out of the lineup right now and will probably play, if healthy, but this is a good opportunity for LJ and well deserved. Usually they make these promotions based on draft potential, but it’s okay to not factor it in once in a while.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Usually they make these promotions based on draft potential, but it’s okay to not factor it in once in a while.
I have never thought that. They are in the business of winning the U18 Worlds. It just so happens the U17s that can best contribute at Worlds are usually great draft prospects.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was back with the U17’s last night for their game. U18’s didn’t have a game. Both teams play on Friday, so we should know more then about what the plan is.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
With the 18's again tonight. At the same time as a 17's game. Safe to say he's getting a real chance to state his claim for a U18 Worlds spot. Playing RW on the second line with Eiserman and Bednarik tonight.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
With the 18's again tonight. At the same time as a 17's game. Safe to say he's getting a real chance to state his claim for a U18 Worlds spot. Playing RW on the second line with Eiserman and Bednarik tonight.
Did U18 team demote someone that is playing with the U17 team tonight, or are there injuries?

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
He's been excellent since being up with the U18s. Another goal and assist today. Feels whatever line he's on has been the most dangerous line. Mooney has showed a nice release, hands, good finishing touch, and good hockey sense. Looked good with Humphreys today. I'd keep those two together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad