F John "LJ" Mooney - Pittsburgh Penguins Elite, U16 AAA (2025 Draft)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Figured it’s time for his thread - one of the top ‘07’s out of America at this point in time. Has all the skill in the world and is a fantastic skater to boot. He is the cousin of Arizona Coyote 1st rounder Logan Cooley also.

It should be interesting to see how things play out for the kid.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He's '25 draft, not '24? Seems a step ahead of Cooley production wise at the same age though.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Does anybody know if he goes by LJ or John? His dad is John Mooney...I just find it amusing if he went by "Little John" as a youngster hence "LJ". No idea if that is true or not but would be funny.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I know he is an 06 but I think James Hagens is still going to be THE guy out of US for the 2025 draft
Maybe - I also really like Logan Hensler, another late birthday '06 - Hensler a defender could very well be the best defender of his age group right now.
Does anybody know if he goes by LJ or John? His dad is John Mooney...I just find it amusing if he went by "Little John" as a youngster hence "LJ". No idea if that is true or not but would be funny.
Good question, I'm going to change the title so there isn't any confusion. I have heard John as often as I have heard LJ.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Does anyone know when and where he might be playing in the next couple of seasons leading up to the draft?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Does anyone know when and where he might be playing in the next couple of seasons leading up to the draft?
Safe money is on the USNTDP for he next two years prior to the 2025 draft. I suppose the OHL is a possibility but I’d bet on him following the path of his cousin Logan Cooley from the Pens Elite to the US juniors team. He’s a stone cold lock to be selected and would arrive in Plymouth with the same kind of stature and expectations that Hagens and Eiserman had with the 06’s.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Safe money is on the USNTDP for he next two years prior to the 2025 draft. I suppose the OHL is a possibility but I’d bet on him following the path of his cousin Logan Cooley from the Pens Elite to the US juniors team. He’s a stone cold lock to be selected and would arrive in Plymouth with the same kind of stature and expectations that Hagens and Eiserman had with the 06’s.

That was my gut feeling on it as well but I'm not familiar with the US National team process when do players commit or is there a camp ect...?

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
There's a Pittsburgh Penguins 16U team playing at the Silver Stick this weekend. Pretty sure it's Mooney's team. There will be some good young hockey players in that event. Ryan Roobroeck's London Knights will also be there and playing Pittsburgh on Friday, Nov. 25. If I lived closer, I'd go check that out.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
There's a Pittsburgh Penguins 16U team playing at the Silver Stick this weekend. Pretty sure it's Mooney's team. There will be some good young hockey players in that event. Ryan Roobroeck's London Knights will also be there and playing Pittsburgh on Friday, Nov. 25. If I lived closer, I'd go check that out.
Where are the games? Any links to the schedule?

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
A little far for me. Thanks for any additional info!
Yeah, me too. That's a day-and-a-half of driving for me.

Found the tourney website, well the part for the 16U group with Mooney and Roobroeck. BK Selects are there, too.

EDIT: Sorry, my guess that it was Mooney's team was wrong. It is a 16U tournament and he is on Pittsburgh's 16U team, but it's the 15U team that is going to this tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: clevelandcane

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
I just find it hard to believe that he’s a better prospect than Hagens
He’s really elite. He’s as elite of a player at his age as I’ve seen last year. The biggest thing will be where he’ll end up with his size. I haven’t seen him play in person this year but I know he’s grown some, just not sure how much. I’m super high on Hagens so I don’t know if I’d say he’s a better prospect but he was right there with him last year. We’ll see how he does with the jump to U17 NTDP next year. I pretty much always temper all my expectations on players until I see them playing juniors. I think he’ll still be elite but we’ll see

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s really elite. He’s as elite of a player at his age as I’ve seen last year. The biggest thing will be where he’ll end up with his size. I haven’t seen him play in person this year but I know he’s grown some, just not sure how much. I’m super high on Hagens so I don’t know if I’d say he’s a better prospect but he was right there with him last year. We’ll see how he does with the jump to U17 NTDP next year. I pretty much always temper all my expectations on players until I see them playing juniors. I think he’ll still be elite but we’ll see

Was Mooney the best of the American 2007’s or was there anyone as good or better?

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Was Mooney the best of the American 2007’s or was there anyone as good or better?
FWIW, here's a September ranking of top 2007 North Americans from Puck Preps. It's the most recent ranking I've seen of 2007-born players in North America. You already know this, but for the benefit of those who don't, there is a graphic design error on this chart. Ryan Roobroeck is Canadian, not American.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Cullen Potter is up there, William Moore if he decides to represent USA internationally is up there.

Other notable kids include Cole McKinney, William Belle, Masun Fleeve, Gavin Kor, Conrad Fondrk, Lucas Sawchyn, Cooper Dennis, William Horcoff just to name a few

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00