Prospect Info: F Isak Rosen (14th Overall, 2021), Assigned to Rochester 12/10

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Ostlund is the highest-ceiling legit center in the organization, and it's not even close. Hell, get past him and Kozak and I'm not even sure who of our prospects even projects to center.

Gotta be a REAL good package to get Ostlund.
I agree. Ostlund is our most well-rounded forward prospect, period, at center or wing. Opinions may differ, of course, hence "*if* you prefer Savoie".

Any chance Rosen has a nagging injury that would explain the discrepancy in his pre- and post-callup play?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I'd love it if he went back to what he was doing up to his recall - solid 2-way game, using his speed, creating for linemates, finishing on open looks. And if he does that, it probably pumps his tires in trade value this summer.

What I saw near the end of the stint in Buffalo was a way better ability to protect the puck. Way better. Skating is probably the biggest issue for guys making the league, but I really watch closely how players protect (and steal) the puck. Unfortunately, the Granato system is designed around plays that don't focus on puck protection but the big-time pass. I hate that part of his system.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
If there's anything at all to the apparent difficulty in getting some of our current roster to adapt to a more defensively mindful system while at the same time maintaining the same offensive style/output as last year, Ostlund - who since he was drafted has been one of the top guys to trade by certain board members - has really shown himself to be an all around, 200 foot center. Wahlberg looks to be cut from the same cloth insofar as embracing defensive responsibility is concerned - with a considerable size advantage

I don't get to see Amerks games so I only know what I have heard and read about Rosen. And until his recent slump, it has been all good. Fast, smart, excellent shot, defensively responsible, not afraid of the dirty areas, reads the play well, always in the right spot on the ice defensively. In his recent call up with the Sabres, it was tough to see those attributes though. Seemed like he was always playing with Victor and maybe Jost? or Krebs? That made it kind of tough to see what he really can do. His slump since his return to Rochester has been somewhat disappointing as well. I hope he turns it around now that Kulich is back and starts playing like he did before the call-up. Seems like now that Ostlund has had his coming out party, Rosen is back as the number one player to be traded by posters. If he regains form and continues to play his 200 foot game while being productive offensively that might make him tough to give up unless the return is really worth it.

We all know that some of those top prospects that Buffalo has will likely be moved at the right time. I just hope it's the right one(s) for the right player coming back

Reactions: Faceboner

chi777

Feb 23, 2006
If there's anything at all to the apparent difficulty in getting some of our current roster to adapt to a more defensively mindful system while at the same time maintaining the same offensive style/output as last year, Ostlund - who since he was drafted has been one of the top guys to trade by certain board members - has really shown himself to be an all around, 200 foot center. Wahlberg looks to be cut from the same cloth insofar as embracing defensive responsibility is concerned - with a considerable size advantage

I don't get to see Amerks games so I only know what I have heard and read about Rosen. And until his recent slump, it has been all good. Fast, smart, excellent shot, defensively responsible, not afraid of the dirty areas, reads the play well, always in the right spot on the ice defensively. In his recent call up with the Sabres, it was tough to see those attributes though. Seemed like he was always playing with Victor and maybe Jost? or Krebs? That made it kind of tough to see what he really can do. His slump since his return to Rochester has been somewhat disappointing as well. I hope he turns it around now that Kulich is back and starts playing like he did before the call-up. Seems like now that Ostlund has had his coming out party, Rosen is back as the number one player to be traded by posters. If he regains form and continues to play his 200 foot game while being productive offensively that might make him tough to give up unless the return is really worth it.

We all know that some of those top prospects that Buffalo has will likely be moved at the right time. I just hope it's the right one(s) for the right player coming back

When Rosen was up, to me, he seemed like the kind of player that was either going to player on the top 2 lines or nothing at all. He was on the 3rd or 4th line then and he doesn't belong there. I don't seem him being able to adapt his game to the lunchpail style of 3rd or 4th liner. We seem to have an abundance of draftees that are in his exact same position.

If we don't have a place for him on the top 2 lines, then we should move on from him.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
When Rosen was up, to me, he seemed like the kind of player that was either going to player on the top 2 lines or nothing at all. He was on the 3rd or 4th line then and he doesn't belong there. I don't seem him being able to adapt his game to the lunchpail style of 3rd or 4th liner. We seem to have an abundance of draftees that are in his exact same position.

If we don't have a place for him on the top 2 lines, then we should move on from him.
Yeah I originally thought the idea with gathering all these skilled players was to move away from traditional lines and their roles but we did not, and now we oversaturated our pipeline

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Yeah I originally thought the idea with gathering all these skilled players was to move away from traditional lines and their roles but we did not, and now we oversaturated our pipeline
Thats where a skilled GM comes in. Trade away a prospect or two for players of need to build a winner.

You saw Tampa trade Drouin for Sergachev. Forward for defenseman. It would be awesome if Adams could make such a trade.
(The trade is an example. I am not suggesting our players are Drouin)

Last edited:

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
Thats where a skilled GM comes in. Trade away a prospect or two for players of need to build a winner.

You saw Tampa trade Drouin for Sergachev. Forward for defenseman. It would be awesome if Adams could make such a trade.
(The trade is an example. I am not suggesting our players are Drouin)
This absolutely HAS to happen. I dont expect it prior to this summer but Adams should be fired if he does not make this happen (i understand he's Terry's darling boy). I also understand it takes 2 to tango but we have the ammo to overpay and make it happen. screw picking #8 for the 12th time...

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Also sounds like he's not disheartened by the offensive lull. Appert's been going on and on about Rosen's PKing as their top pair (and their PK seems like it's been better at times, that's observational commentary as I haven't pulled the actual numbers over time for it).

He's looking forward to getting to the AHL ASG with Kulich.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So there seems like something wrong with Rosen - I don't see the burst he would show in tracking pucks or getting back into position. He's very upright in his stance and since going back to Rochester has 3-6-9 in the 29 games since going back from his uninspiring recall on the Slush Line in November. I haven't been worried about him before, but in the last week or so... I'm mildly concerned with whatever is going on there. It isn't just the production, he's not getting to pucks and isn't creating things.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

6. Isak Rosen, LW, 20 (Rochester Americans)
Rosen’s a slippery goal-scoring winger who just looks talented in possession. On the attack, he’s a crafty handler who sneaks through traffic to navigate in and out of space in control, drawing attention as he goes. A lot of the tools he hones are also the ones required of smallish players (he’s now listed at 6 feet and 173 pounds which is up an inch and five pounds for last year) in today’s game.

He’s inventive. He’s a light, fluid skater who changes directions in an instant and beats defenders off of cuts. And his ability as a marksman really can’t be overstated (though he’s still figuring out how to get to the inside more consistently in the AHL to go from productive to closer to point per game). His shot is pinpoint accurate (both his one-timer and his wrister) and he makes a ton of quick adjustments before he releases the puck to catch goalies and defenders off guard. Though his mentality is to look to attack the slot to score, he’s also got great touch with the puck when play breaks down and he has to improvise or make a play to a linemate.

He’s going to have to learn to play a little differently to build toward a scoring role at the next level but with patience and proper development, he’s going to inject skill into an NHL top nine and threaten on the power play in the long term. He’s got the threatening transition game, nifty release, perimeter speed and control, and shot shaping to become a 20-plus-goal scorer. He can run a little hot and cold (he was hot to start this season but has cooled of late in Rochester), but consistency will come with reps and maturity and you have to remind yourself of his age when considering he has already played two years in the AHL.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
So, on a developmental curve, this guy should be competing for a roster spot next season, correct? It sounds like he's gotten stronger. He is already mentally ready.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
So, on a developmental curve, this guy should be competing for a roster spot next season, correct? It sounds like he's gotten stronger. He is already mentally ready.
Rosen, Savoie, and Kulich should all be competing. Adams should secure vets anyways, and if the kids beat them out, waive the vets.

The roster construction must continue.

Reactions: KeepKane

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

His shot is ready. As you said, mentally he's ready. His traits say that he should be competing for a spot next year.

I still think he's another year out physically though. The Amerks list him at 5'11", 168 pounds. Maybe he can put on that extra 10ish pounds he'll need in the offseason.

But hey.....I didn't think Benson would be ready physically for the NHL this year, and he's held up mostly well.....even if he gets manhandled by defensemen a few times a game

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
His shot is ready. As you said, mentally he's ready. His traits say that he should be competing for a spot next year.

I still think he's another year out physically though. The Amerks list him at 5'11", 168 pounds. Maybe he can put on that extra 10ish pounds he'll need in the offseason.

But hey.....I didn't think Benson would be ready physically for the NHL this year, and he's held up mostly well.....even if he gets manhandled by defensemen a few times a game

Dev Tournie stats were posted as 6' and 173 lbs.

Reactions: MeenOlViks

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
He's just a solid hockey player but I just don't see the room for him (or others!). We have 3 guys minimum (Kulich, Savoie and Rosén) knocking on the door and based on everyhing Adams has said, not enough space for all 3 of these guys. Especially if we are planning to reshape our team a bit this off-season.

And that's not even getting into players like Ostlund, Neuchev, Wahlberg, if we use our 1st this year etc.

Last edited:

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Dev Tournie stats were posted as 6' and 173 lbs.
lie.jpg

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

Nearly doubled his primary points at 5-on-5 (12 up to 22) and was 4th among D+3's in primary and 8th in total points at 5-on-5 in the AHL this year. Other D+3's are guys like Stankoven (he lead with 25) and old friend Lysell (19).

Really solid production, should not be slept on.

That cut he made to shake the D was A+++

Reactions: Chainshot

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Rosen, Kulich and Savoie probably don't play in Prospect Tournament this year huh?
On the flip side, they're probably all competing for the same spot in camp, since I don't see moer than 1 of them making the opening night roster unless there's injuries. So maybe they each think "let me get a leg up on the competition"...I doubt they play all the games, but each of them might get 1 or 2. But they at least are in camp practicing and trying to make a good impression on the new coaching staff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad