Prospect Info: F Isak Rosen (14th Overall, 2021), Assigned to Rochester 12/10

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So it's been just over a month since he was sent back and it's not been going well. One goal and four assists in the 13 games since his time in Buffalo. It seemed like he was snapping out of the slump a bit with the five shot outing against Utica and then back-to-back games getting on the scoresheet against Cleveland with a goal and an assist. But back to zeroes in Charlotte.

chi777

Feb 23, 2006
I never liked this pick. With Benson already making the team, we don't really have any more roster spots for grossly undersized wingers. We could have taken Wallstadt with this pick but instead we chose this guy. I think we'll regret that.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I never liked this pick. With Benson already making the team, we don't really have any more roster spots for grossly undersized wingers. We could have taken Wallstadt with this pick but instead we chose this guy. I think we'll regret that.
I think he ends up a 20-20 middle 6 winger with decent two way play but yeah we need to package him for someone else also we have a penchant for choosing wingers that flame out over impact players last one was Nylander in 2016 over chych and mcavoy

Reactions: DJN21

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
He’s not undersized. He could get stronger but he looks pretty rangy when hes out there.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I've never been a big fan, but he's being written off a bit early. Maybe the real Rosen is the guy who earned the callup, not the guy who's been slumping ever since. Maybe he has a nagging injury?

A trade package featuring Savoie would be a lot more attractive. Or substitute Ostlund if you favor Savoie.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He's never going to develop into anything worth justifying the off board early pick we used on him.

It wasn't off board at all. Go look at some of the early posts in this thread -- most scouting services/talking heads had him in the teens/early 20s. Legit 1st round pick. Not off the board in any way, shape or form.

I remember being apoplectic in the chat when Wallstedt wasn't the pick (would have accepted Cossa, but I personally was clamoring for Jesper)

But yeah, Rosen was certain on-the-board.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Ostlund is the highest-ceiling legit center in the organization, and it's not even close. Hell, get past him and Kozak and I'm not even sure who of our prospects even projects to center.

Gotta be a REAL good package to get Ostlund.
He's above Kulich to me, by a touch...then Savoie...then Rosen. I don't write off Rosen but he's the oldest of those four and if he was going to show he was the best of the bunch I think it would show by now. He's not a bad prospect but like has been said, he's redundant and it might be better to trade him sooner while he might still have top-six potential in the eyes of other organizations.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
He's above Kulich to me, by a touch...then Savoie...then Rosen. I don't write off Rosen but he's the oldest of those four and if he was going to show he was the best of the bunch I think it would show by now. He's not a bad prospect but like has been said, he's redundant and it might be better to trade him sooner while he might still have top-six potential in the eyes of other organizations.

I thought Rosen was figuring things out a bit before he got sent down. He could be just a little salty after getting a taste and now back in the A

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I thought Rosen was figuring things out a bit before he got sent down. He could be just a little salty after getting a taste and now back in the A

He hasn't looked himself since returning. It reminds me of a couple of the recalls where the player sent back has to get un-f***ed by what he was doing at the NHL level before putting things back together again.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
He hasn't looked himself since returning. It reminds me of a couple of the recalls where the player sent back has to get un-f***ed by what he was doing at the NHL level before putting things back together again.
Reminds me if the pattern in Sweden where he did kind if well in HA but didn't get much time and then being mismanaged by Leksand. He pretty much lost a year of development.
I think the best way forward would be to keep him in the AHL until he truly dominates or fails.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Maybe we flip him for a d prospect which teams need forward prospects with an abundance of defense

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Maybe we flip him for a d prospect which teams need forward prospects with an abundance of defense

Prospect for prospect trades rarely happen. Use him as part of another deal for an established player? Sure.

That said, I'm curious if they've asked him to do something different. I haven't noted much applied speed out of him in the Amerk games I've watched since he went back down. He has a knack for having a very smooth burst to either close on his man or get separation that just isn't there. His play before the recall was excellent but since? Didn't like his usage nor how he's performed since going back.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Prospect for prospect trades rarely happen. Use him as part of another deal for an established player? Sure.

That said, I'm curious if they've asked him to do something different. I haven't noted much applied speed out of him in the Amerk games I've watched since he went back down. He has a knack for having a very smooth burst to either close on his man or get separation that just isn't there. His play before the recall was excellent but since? Didn't like his usage nor how he's performed since going back.
I had high expectations for him maybe it's just a bad stretch and trading him would be selling low at this point, with that said I hope he puts it back together because his skating is top notch and he has a ton of skill.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I had high expectations for him maybe it's just a bad stretch and trading him would be selling low at this point, with that said I hope he puts it back together because his skating is top notch and he has a ton of skill.

I'd love it if he went back to what he was doing up to his recall - solid 2-way game, using his speed, creating for linemates, finishing on open looks. And if he does that, it probably pumps his tires in trade value this summer.

Reactions: Faceboner

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I'd love it if he went back to what he was doing up to his recall - solid 2-way game, using his speed, creating for linemates, finishing on open looks. And if he does that, it probably pumps his tires in trade value this summer.
Yep, I have liked Joker so far this year as he has been better but hoping we can use Rosen to get a better rhd

yasky

Nov 29, 2021
Rosen isn't even legal drinking age so there still a fairly large window for him to develop. Still, the team has a logjam of forward prospects and Benson's early ETA certainty makes things interesting. Maybe Rosen and Buffalos second round pick get packaged for something at the draft? Maybe they get an offer they can't refuse for Savoie? Who can say?

If they weren't in the same division Montreal would be an interesting dance partner with their volume of defencemen on their system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad