F Danila Yurov - Metallurg Magnitogorsk, KHL (2022, 24th, MIN)

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I’ve always said Yurov’s comparable is Buchnevich. I don’t think that’s a knock on Yurov at all, and I certainly don’t think that means Yurov can’t play the middle of the ice.
Definitely fair. But his ceiling is not Buchnevich as Garl said. He’s already outperforming what PB did at the same age by a large margin.

At this point, Rantanen is probably the best ceiling I can think of when it comes to playstyle.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Definitely fair. But his ceiling is not Buchnevich as Garl said. He’s already outperforming what PB did at the same age by a large margin.

At this point, Rantanen is probably the best ceiling I can think of when it comes to playstyle.
Stats are just one metric. Development isn’t linear. Rantanen seems like a long sho, imo

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
How about Alex Tuch as a comp?
I think he’s less rugged and more toolsy. Buchnevich, Rantanen, Boldy seem like the best comps. Of course there is a good chance he never reaches that level, but the tools and pre-NHl production are encouraging

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think he’s less rugged and more toolsy. Buchnevich, Rantanen, Boldy seem like the best comps. Of course there is a good chance he never reaches that level, but the tools and pre-NHl production are encouraging

Yeah, and there is a chance he'll become better than some of those guys. Or all of them.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, and there is a chance he'll become better than some of those guys. Or all of them.
I mean, it's possible that he's better than Rantanen... it's also possible that he ends up a career fringe NHL'er. The odds on either happening are slim.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
As far as I understand american football is way more popular than hockey in Minnesota...

American football is almost always going to be more popular than any other sport just about anywhere you go in this country. In terms of kids playing it, it's going to have higher enrollment numbers because it's way more accessible than hockey is, and that's in terms of playing surfaces (it's much easier to find a place to play some version of football than it is to find a place to play some version of hockey) and cost of entry (with football you just need a football to start playing, with hockey you need the puck, but you also need a stick and skates or rollerblades).

But in terms of relative popularity, there is no other place in the country where hockey is as baked into the culture as it is in Minnesota. And that's especially true in the northern half of the state. In Minnesota hockey closes the gap by a hugely significant amount.

The only two states that even come close to Minnesota in terms of passion for hockey from bottom (kids just starting out) to top (the NHL team), are Massachusetts and Michigan, and there's a sizeable gap from Minnesota down to those two.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
As far as I understand american football is way more popular than hockey in Minnesota...
True. I am assuming the poster was being facetious. Nobody is going to be naming their kid Danila unless they are Russian.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
American football is almost always going to be more popular than any other sport just about anywhere you go in this country. In terms of kids playing it, it's going to have higher enrollment numbers because it's way more accessible than hockey is, and that's in terms of playing surfaces (it's much easier to find a place to play some version of football than it is to find a place to play some version of hockey) and cost of entry (with football you just need a football to start playing, with hockey you need the puck, but you also need a stick and skates or rollerblades).

But in terms of relative popularity, there is no other place in the country where hockey is as baked into the culture as it is in Minnesota. And that's especially true in the northern half of the state. In Minnesota hockey closes the gap by a hugely significant amount.

The only two states that even come close to Minnesota in terms of passion for hockey from bottom (kids just starting out) to top (the NHL team), are Massachusetts and Michigan, and there's a sizeable gap from Minnesota down to those two.

Add eastern North Dakota to that as well, which is basically an inter-state extension of the game’s popularity in Minnesota.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Add eastern North Dakota to that as well, which is basically an inter-state extension of the game’s popularity in Minnesota.

Do you mean just Grand Forks? Because otherwise I would not include it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, basically Grand Forks, though Fargo has decent numbers in youth hockey. North Dakota as a whole has a tiny population, so you can't compare it to the other three states.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Stats are just one metric. Development isn’t linear. Rantanen seems like a long sho, imo
As Avs fans, we thought rants would be a 2 way beast…he’s got great passing and goal scoring. But his defense leaves a lot to be desired

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I'd be happy to let him develop another year over there - he did just turn 20 in December.

That would mean no cap hell Wild for him.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Honestly, he probably is doing a right thing, one more year seems reasonable. He just turned 20, and had a first good pro season. He could have challenged for a spot already, but a good chance that he is not ready. I will try to catch more of Metallurg during the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad