3rd in goals in whole NCAA
13th in points in whole NCAA

Not bad for a 18yo freshman

7 of his 18 goals are on the power play
-5 on the year

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
He's 3rd in goals scoring (NCAA) and 8th in PP goals. Think about that

He also has massive red flags in the defensive zone. Game is 200 feet and too many times he doenst play all 200. If he scores a goal and is on the ice for opponent scoring two thats not promising IMO.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
When people are talking about Pastrnak, do they always say that almost half of his goals are on the PP (17 vs 21) ? No, because a goal is a goal.

Pasta is a +14 and is also protected by being on same line as Bergeron who covers defensively. Keep in mind Pasta is a pretty decent 200 foot player as well.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
In 2014-15 , Max Pacioretty led the league with +38. This is how useful this stats is.

I see where your coming from as an avid Habs fan. I am impartial and just going off the 50 times or so I have seen him play. Scroll up to see what the Wisconsin fans are saying.

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
He also has massive red flags in the defensive zone. Game is 200 feet and too many times he doenst play all 200. If he scores a goal and is on the ice for opponent scoring two thats not promising IMO.

7 of his 18 goals are on the power play
-5 on the year

This whole Wisconsin team have trouble defensively this season. Putting the blame on one player would be silly.

Even offensively they're not great, Caufield being the offensive catalyst of this team. He has more goals then the next 2 player on his team combined and he has a 9 points lead on the 2nd points leader.

He found a way to produce despite playing in a struggling team.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
This whole Wisconsin team have trouble defensively this season. Putting the blame on one player would be silly.

Even offensively they're not great, Caufield being the offensive catalyst of this team. He has more goals then the next 2 player on his team combined and he has a 9 points lead on the 2nd points leader.

He found a way to produce despite playing in a struggling team.

No one is blaming one player. It seems like they have a lot of players just interesting in putting up personal stats and not playing complete hockey.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
It's not his fault the rest of his team sucks. He is a goal scorer and that's what he does. I say 75% he's a 30 goal scorer in the NHL, 50% for 35 goals, and 25% for 40+.

Pretty sure any team would take that.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
If you are going to promote his promising stats then why not show the entire picture?

Because garbage stats like +/- are useless and our PP was horrible last year and mediocre this year, so why wouldn't we want someone who can score on the PP?

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
If any player can score 10+% of their team's goals on the season, defensive shortcomings can be tolerated. And nearly every 30+ goal scorer in the NHL is scoring at that rate, unless you are some sick offensive team like Tampa last year.

Now, can you be one of the worst defensive zone players in the league on a Julien-coached team? Doubtful, because you won't see the ice. But that's a problem for another day.

I'd like to see him give a bit more in all zones at the next level, and I expect he will, largely because of who our team is coached by. He simply won't last under Clode if he checks out defensively. And it doesn't look like Julien is going anywhere, anytime soon - unfortunate as that might be.

Reactions: shello

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If any player can score 10+% of their team's goals on the season, defensive shortcomings can be tolerated. And nearly every 30+ goal scorer in the NHL is scoring at that rate, unless you are some sick offensive team like Tampa last year.

Now, can you be one of the worst defensive zone players in the league on a Julien-coached team? Doubtful, because you won't see the ice. But that's a problem for another day.

I'd like to see him give a bit more in all zones at the next level, and I expect he will, largely because of who our team is coached by. He simply won't last under Clode if he checks out defensively. And it doesn't look like Julien is going anywhere, anytime soon - unfortunate as that might be.

I can't wait to see the Cousins Thompson Caufield line in action! :sarcasm::popcorn:

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

2-way play can always be corrected. He just needs to put the effort into it.

From my vantage point, his biggest impediment to NHL success is lack of strength on the puck.
Of course he's young and has lots of time to gain strength; but there's normal small, then there's 5-7 non-physical small. Caufield seems to be the antithesis of a DeBrincat, a player with the innate core strength to make physicality an integral part of his game.

Yes Cole is awesome at finding open space and darting in-and-out of traffic (especially on the big ice at the Kohl Center), but he needs to start engaging physically; at least to a level where he's not muscled off the puck every time someone touches him, which is not an uncommon occurrence at UW.
I don't care if you have Ovechkin goal-scoring prowess, you're not lasting 2 seconds in the show if you turnover the puck every time somebody lays a finger on you.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
2-way play can always be corrected. He just needs to put the effort into it.

From my vantage point, his biggest impediment to NHL success is lack of strength on the puck.
Of course he's young and has lots of time to gain strength; but there's normal small, then there's 5-7 non-physical small. Caufield seems to be the antithesis of a DeBrincat, a player with the innate core strength to make physicality an integral part of his game.

Yes Cole is awesome at finding open space and darting in-and-out of traffic (especially on the big ice at the Kohl Center), but he needs to start engaging physically; at least to a level where he's not muscled off the puck every time someone touches him, which is not an uncommon occurrence at UW.
I don't care if you have Ovechkin goal-scoring prowess, you're not lasting 2 seconds in the show if you turnover the puck every time somebody lays a finger on you.
Agree with this, but as you say, strength can improve, hopefully to the point where he isnt a liability anymore when reaching the NHL... I think if he is just ok physically, he will be fine, since you still can surround him with bigger linemates that will create room for him... One thing is for sure, he is going to be a beast on the PP...

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
No one is blaming one player. It seems like they have a lot of players just interesting in putting up personal stats and not playing complete hockey.

Turcotte is only interested in his personnal stats and not a complete player?

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
Turcotte is only interested in his personnal stats and not a complete player?

Earlier in this thread, there was one Wisconsin fan who stated that the big guns (Caufield, Turcotte. Miller, Holloway) are playing only for their personnal stats.

Since then, some posters have jumped on that for whatever reasons...

Reactions: Acadien86

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Earlier in this thread, there was one Wisconsin fan who stated that the big guns (Caufield, Turcotte. Miller, Holloway) are playing only for their personnal stats.

Since then, some posters have jumped on that for whatever reasons...

That's crazy, Turcotte was like one of the most complete player of the last draft. Always saw him as a team first kind of guy.

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
That's crazy, Turcotte was like one of the most complete player of the last draft. Always saw him as a team first kind of guy.

He's still one of the most complete player of the last draft, and IMO he's indeed a team first type of guy.

Wisconsin really has it's struggle, they oviously have some problems defensively and the system in general is deficient.

Caufield, Miller, Turcotte or Holloway are not the problem.

I'm still amaze at how Caufield still manage to put that kind of production with this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
It's not his fault the rest of his team sucks. He is a goal scorer and that's what he does. I say 75% he's a 30 goal scorer in the NHL, 50% for 35 goals, and 25% for 40+.

Pretty sure any team would take that.
If he has 75% chance of being a 30 goal scorer in the NHL, he would’ve gone top 5 :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad