F Cole Caufield - Univ. of Wisconsin, NCAA (2019, 15th, MTL) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He might get an ATO. I think it's too early, myself. I think he's a good skater, just not that fast. Good edges and imagination, though. A couple more years and his man muscles will kick in, hopefully, giving him an extra burst.

The guy has proven this year that he can score consistently at a higher level of hockey. It's not exactly a newsflash that many scorers don't pay attention to the other end of the ice. He can work on two way play, but MTL drafted him for his sniping ability, not to be the next Bob Gainey.
I don't see why he'd sign an ATO, and I don't really get the Habs incentive to offer him one. If he plays less than 9 games his ELC will slide anyway, but he'd get his 70k bonus this year. The Habs aren't going to be cheap over 70k that they are going to have to pay eventually (the bonus will just be taken out of his final year). This isn't like Luke Kunin, who was a late birthday (therefore signing in his 20th year), who the Wild wanted to sign an ATO because any AHL games would have counted as a burn year. For example looking at the 2018 draft, Oliver Wahlstrom and Quinn Hughes signed in March of last year. But, because Wahlstrom was an early B-day, his contract slid, whereas Q. Hughes burned a year regardless of the fact he played less than 9 NHL games (5 in total).

I mean, his college eligibility is done the second he signs an ATO, it makes no difference to the Habs if he signs an ATO or ELC, its not like they are going to not-sign him to an ELC, and it makes no difference if they sign him to one in March or July as long as they don't play him in 9 NHL games.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
What is very telling is that Caufield leads all Badgers by 9 points (33%). That is crazy separation in 28 games.

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
You mean one team. Philly traded back with Arizona, that was it. They both drafted d-men as well. He also could've been in their top -10, but the guys they drafted they just ranked higher.

That's how the draft works sometimes. You can have a guy that every team thinks is top-10, but if he's in the lower end of their top-10 and a guy they have ranked higher is there, they're obviously going to pick that guy.
Honestly haven’t heard anything about teams having him top 10 on their lists. Sometimes it’s just media over hyping certain players.

Fnysnipe77

Feb 5, 2018
Team USa never really got it together this year the fact that Cole whent back to Wisconsin after found the scoring with kind of really disappointing.

Fnysnipe77

Feb 5, 2018
Montreal had not be too happy at all with his showing at the world juniors.he never really turned it on to the last couple of games.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Montreal had not be too happy at all with his showing at the world juniors.he never really turned it on to the last couple of games.

Prospects have ups and downs. Just because he didn't have a good WJC at 18 years old, it doesn't mean anything. It's a short tournament and sometimes players don't gel. He's have a very good rookie season in the NCAA, the two games last weekend don't change that.

I think watching him this year, people are not as quick to think he should be in the NHL right away. He still needs some work to make himself a more complete player. The potential is there no doubt. Let him continue to mature as a player and don't rush him. It's not like the Habs need him to miss the playoffs, they can can do that by themselves.

Fnysnipe77

Feb 5, 2018
Prospects have ups and downs. Just because he didn't have a good WJC at 18 years old, it doesn't mean anything. It's a short tournament and sometimes players don't gel. He's have a very good rookie season in the NCAA, the two games last weekend don't change that.

I think watching him this year, people are not as quick to think he should be in the NHL right away. He still needs some work to make himself a more complete player. The potential is there no doubt. Let him continue to mature as a player and don't rush him. It's not like the Habs need him to miss the playoffs, they can can do that by themselves.
I agree with everything you just said. It's frustrating though because years when USA gels and Canada doesn't it's evident. Canada USA except for that tournament where Finland had that aho Liane line. That rivalry really is a Hallmark of the wjc.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Signing a 19 year old for the purpose of going to the AHL doesn't make much sense and could end up hurting the kid's development.

I really dont get the rush from the NHL teams on most young players. Is Caufield dominating the NCAA level so much that its a waste for him to play another season? Absolutely not. Cale Makar is a shining example of a player coming back, dominating and was clearly ready for the next level. Caufield aint at that point yet IMO.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I really dont get the rush from the NHL teams on most young players. Is Caufield dominating the NCAA level so much that its a waste for him to play another season? Absolutely not. Cale Makar is a shining example of a player coming back, dominating and was clearly ready for the next level. Caufield aint at that point yet IMO.
yeah until there are very few reservations about his ability at the next level (that being the AHL), I never think a guy should move on, whatever his draft position is. whether that's one year or three-four (which I'm sure won't happen), move the player on at the appropriate pace so he's ready to succeed at the next level. Josh Norris is a good example from the same league, 19th overall a few years back, did one and a half seasons of college (got injured) but he was an absolute force as a sophomore and even with the injury he was clearly ready for pro hockey even if that's not necessarily the nhl yet

Reactions: beaverjc

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004

It's usually a 19yo tournament. Of the 23 players with a PPG in the tournament, 17 of them are 19. And Lafrenière, Zegras and Cozens are part of these 6 other players, who are better prospects than Caufield.

Nothing to worry. He should go back in the NCAA next year and hopefully will go back to the WJC and fill that goal.

Reactions: Eegs

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Right, but Wisconsin is a flaming pile at the moment and Granato isn't challenging Caufield to improve anything he isn’t already good at, nor is Cole he making the effort himself.
Yea his point totals and highlight videos are impressive, but he avoids contact like the plague and is a turnover machine when he's challenged physically. Plus his defensive effort is atrocious.

Is another year of playing to strengths but completely ignoring weaknesses (on UW's big ice surface nonetheless) conducive to the development of a 5-7 player who wants to reach the NHL? I dunno.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steeler23

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Honestly haven’t heard anything about teams having him top 10 on their lists. Sometimes it’s just media over hyping certain players.
In an interview in fall, Bergevin said his agent, Pat Brisson, didn't understand why he was inviting Cole to dinner a few days before the draft to interview him. Brisson told him he wouldn't be there past 10... I assume atleast one team had him top 10. Perhaps a player higher on their list was available and that's why they didn't pick Caufield. Doesn't mean he was a conscencus top 10 either.

Reactions: Steeler23

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Right, but Wisconsin is a flaming pile at the moment and Granato isn't challenging Caufield to improve anything he isn’t already good at, nor is Cole he making the effort himself.
Yea his point totals and highlight videos are impressive, but he avoids contact like the plague and is a turnover machine when he's challenged physically. Plus his defensive effort is atrocious.

Is another year of playing to strengths but completely ignoring weaknesses (on UW's big ice surface nonetheless) conducive to the development of a 5-7 player who wants to reach the NHL? I dunno.

Valid points but dont mention that he struggles defensively because that gets Habs fans mad.

Reactions: Andrei79

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004

100% right. It's case by case when you talk about player development. I don't know how exactly they work, but I would guess that the Habs management talk with Caufield coach if they want him to work on some part of his game, or at least talk with him. So if they feel like he hasn't made any progress on the things he's supposed to work on, they might feel like they have to bring him to the AHL sooner to work with the staff there.

I don't think it's the right call to bring him to the pro next year, but you are totally right that it might be the better of 2 "bad" options (between Wisconsin and pro).

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I would keep him in Wisconsin, he's clearly not ready for pro hockey IMO

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
In an interview in fall, Bergevin said his agent, Pat Brisson, didn't understand why he was inviting Cole to dinner a few days before the draft to interview him. Brisson told him he wouldn't be there past 10... I assume atleast one team had him top 10. Perhaps a player higher on their list was available and that's why they didn't pick Caufield. Doesn't mean he was a conscencus top 10 either.
Yeah I can see that but media definitely overhyped him going into the draft.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I worry about the skating, I'll admit. I know it's cliche, but when you're that small if you don't have the skating and the grit you're going to have a tough time, no matter how much talent.

Another year at Wisconsin will do him good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad