F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
Well, according to eliteprospects.com, Lemieux had 124 points in 47 games (2.64ppg), Daigle had 110 points in 42 games (2.62 ppg) and Turgeon had 101 points in 41 games (2.46 ppg). Lafreniere has 57 points in 24 games (2.38 ppg). Not too sure if the eras that Lemieux, Daigle, and Turgeon had played in for midget hockey were more higher scoring than today though.

Yes, just like QMJHL, scoring was higher in QMAAA in the 80s and early 90s. Difficult to know how Lafrenière's linemates and teammates compare to those of the 3 aforementioned players but he is clearly leading the charge on his team like the others did.

Moreover, of these 3 players, only Lemieux was a late birthday like Lafrenière.

Clearly a dominant prospect like Québec has not produced for a long time. Poulin, Parent and perhaps Pelletier would have been very good to fine 1OA pick in any other Q drafts, but Lafrenière is in a class of his own.

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Who does his play style compare too? And also what's his potential level? Who do you guys think will be a better prospect for the future Lafreniere or Rasmus Dahlin? These players seem like the top 2 prospects on the horizon? Also curious to see if anyone has the stats for Lemieux, Turgeon, and Daigle when theu played in this same league?

Currently we do not see the faults he has , too dominant in every aspect of game . He have all tools you want : Vision/Shot/IQ/Physic . His father measure 6'4 .... He reminds me something like Rick Nash at long term

Reactions: Ranger Spice

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
3G 3A in 2GP this weekend. Now has 29G 42A 71PTS in 32GP.

For comparaison, Drouin at the same age: 22G 36A 58PTS in 38GP.

This kid will be something.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
With Moncton being a lock for last in the Q and having the best chance to land him, what are the chances he refuses to report to an English team as some French players are known to do? (And vise versa for English on French teams)? Any rumblings of this or him trying to pull the NCAA card?

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
With Moncton being a lock for last in the Q and having the best chance to land him, what are the chances he refuses to report to an English team as some French players are known to do? (And vise versa for English on French teams)? Any rumblings of this or him trying to pull the NCAA card?

I doubt it, who from Quebec ever turned down Moncton and the Irvings? He will get compensated in Moncton as much or more than any other team if that is what he seeks. Not to mention that Moncton isn't exactly "English" in the same sense that Halifax, Charlottetown, CB are you could get away with only speaking french and live there fine.

I also have no idea what he plans to do, but it hasn't been as much of a problem for the Wildcats to get french players as it has been for a few other teams.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I doubt it, who from Quebec ever turned down Moncton and the Irvings? He will get compensated in Moncton as much or more than any other team if that is what he seeks. Not to mention that Moncton isn't exactly "English" in the same sense that Halifax, Charlottetown, CB are you could get away with only speaking french and live there fine.

I also have no idea what he plans to do, but it hasn't been as much of a problem for the Wildcats to get french players as it has been for a few other teams.

Exactly, and he could have scholarship at the UdeMoncton which is a french University. I had an Economics course with Mark Barberio years ago.

jsperreault

Dec 20, 2016
Notre Dame Pontmain
Which is the best league to develop it. He will only be 15 years old at the beginning of the season in the lhjmq. Turn 16 in November I think.

With a talent like this he must look at all the options. One thing is certain the NCAA will be an interesting option because studies are important. In addition, the Ncaa develops players for the NHL

Moncton is all an organization to consider if they have the 1st choice

wein

Jul 2, 2013

I completely agree. I'm sure Moncton has been in talks with him for a while, they've been in last for almost the entire season and so even if he did have questions about reporting they could deal with them. Baie Comeau has the second best chance to get the first pick and Moncton is considerably more desireable an organization than BC (no offense intended to BC but Moncton is probably the richest or second team in the league and the players do benefit from that and Moncton will have a brand new arena by his 17 year old season which is another drawing factor).

As has been said above, Moncton has a large French population and so I doubt language is any concern at all.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I completely agree. I'm sure Moncton has been in talks with him for a while, they've been in last for almost the entire season and so even if he did have questions about reporting they could deal with them. Baie Comeau has the second best chance to get the first pick and Moncton is considerably more desireable an organization than BC (no offense intended to BC but Moncton is probably the richest or second team in the league and the players do benefit from that and Moncton will have a brand new arena by his 17 year old season which is another drawing factor).

As has been said above, Moncton has a large French population and so I doubt language is any concern at all.

Not saying he will at all as I don't think Moncton has ever had that problem before. Just wondering if theres been any rumblings of him playing the NCAA card so that he ends up on the team he wants.

penaltykiller

Feb 19, 2007
province of quebec
Well, Baie-Comeau may not be able to bring in superstars , but they do make the most of their situation. In last year's draft they had , in the 1st round, picks 4 5 9 and 16 and all of those guys reported to them.

Back on topic, Lafrenière had 4 points last night which gives him 71 pts in 32 games.

You guys should keep track of the league's 2nd scorer Samuel Poulin as well. 62 pts in 35 games.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
They have a good chance having their 1st (2nd last) + Gatineau's 1st (3rd last). The good question is would he come to Baie-Comeau?

They could have both Parent and Poulin and maybe staying teammates would be intriguing for them.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Nobody wanted to play in Erie until McDavid came along. Surely there's a silver lining for Baie-Comeau.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
and why is that? Especially if hes going with someone he knows like Parent.

They must think that the NCAA is a better option than having him go up to BC, not the first time a quality prospects family is selective with their son's destination.

Fair or not, they are entitled to explore their options. Remember that Poulin's dad was a bit of a dud after being the 1st overall pick in the Q and top 10 in the NHL. He may have a different perspective than most fathers.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
They must think that the NCAA is a better option than having him go up to BC, not the first time a quality prospects family is selective with their son's destination.

Fair or not, they are entitled to explore their options. Remember that Poulin's dad was a bit of a dud after being the 1st overall pick in the Q and top 10 in the NHL. He may have a different perspective than most fathers.

I'm not saying he won't report, because well most top prospects bail on BC.

But if his friend is going to the team, which in this scenario he was, you would have to think that helps the situation. Remember when Sprong wasn't going to show in PEI until his friend, Beau Rusk I believe, convinced him to come.

All it takes is one to get the dominos falling and Poulin, Parent, and Lafreniere all have the skill and ability needed to be that one in my opinion.

Either way this draft is going to be crazy with top end talent!

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
I'm not saying he won't report, because well most top prospects bail on BC.

But if his friend is going to the team, which in this scenario he was, you would have to think that helps the situation. Remember when Sprong wasn't going to show in PEI until his friend, Beau Rusk I believe, convinced him to come.

All it takes is one to get the dominos falling and Poulin, Parent, and Lafreniere all have the skill and ability needed to be that one in my opinion.

Either way this draft is going to be crazy with top end talent!

Yes but Sprong does not have a father with 600 NHL games to his name, been a top pick in the Q , world Jrs, etc. Patrick Poulin has the knowledge first hand of what it is like to be a top prospect and knows that not all top kids fulfill their billings as future superstars. A 15 year old kid, no matter how well he knows Samuel, is not going to convince him to go to Baie Comeau if he does not want his son there. Now I do not know for sure but if it is true that the family does not want him there, Parent's decision will not matter.

Back on the topic of Lafreniere, it is being said by some longtime followers of youth hockey in Quebec that he is the best 15 year old player the province has produced since Lecavalier, who was a legitimate Phenom at the time.

jsperreault

Dec 20, 2016
Notre Dame Pontmain
I have a hard time understanding that somebody is talking about a language problem.
The language never prevent anyone from playing the game.

Has his age English is learned in 2 months possibly faster.

If he chose the NCAA he will have the same challenges. English for a Quebecois is learned very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad