Post-Game Talk: Eyes blazing like a panther!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Off on a tangent - my wife watched the last 5 minutes of the game with me, first time she has ever watched hockey with me (she's usually in the same room but doing her own thing and not facing the TV). She predicted there would be OT and she was right. She didn't watch the shootout though, she couldn't handle the stress. I told her the game didn't really mean anything so there was no reason to stress but that didn't help the least bit.

She's always been like that, gets so nervous watching any competition that it may be a realistic health risk to keep watching like her heart might just not be able to handle it. I may have to send her out of town when the playoffs start. :laugh:

Reactions: MLSE

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Great game last night, I was one of the (very) few wearing green who was in attendance.

Quick question though: when did the Leafs hire cheerleaders? I was up in the greens and multiple times every period a team of staff would line up the stairs and get a chant going, or shout and get everyone else vocal.

It was my first game of the year but I've been to my share of games and I'd never seen that before. Crowd definitely didn't need them around last night. :laugh:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Never said we are a bad team but missing the playoffs is a real possibility with a hot Panther team on our tail. We go on any sort of losing streak and the Pathers stay hot then kiss the playoffs goodbye. Like I said no one should feel comfortable until we see that X.

If the Leafs simply go .500 in their last 12 (which includes 3xBuf, 2xMtl, & 1xDet) here's what the other teams need to do for us to miss the playoffs.

TeamGRWLOTLPTS
Leafs @ .50012660101
FLA151311102
NJD121110102
CBJ121101102
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

That's what all of them have to do, not just FLA. Let that sink in a moment...............ALL of them have to do that.

I'm not sure how you interpret the term a "real possibility" but IMO it's quite laughable.

I mean anything is possible, but how this could be described as anything but "very unlikely" is beyond me.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Great game last night, I was one of the (very) few wearing green who was in attendance.

Quick question though: when did the Leafs hire cheerleaders? I was up in the greens and multiple times every period a team of staff would line up the stairs and get a chant going, or shout and get everyone else vocal.

It was my first game of the year but I've been to my share of games and I'd never seen that before. Crowd definitely didn't need them around last night. :laugh:
They had it last year as well, I find it pretty annoying when the plays going on.

Reactions: al secord

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If the Leafs simply go .500 in their last 12 (which includes 3xBuf, 2xMtl, & 1xDet) here's what the other teams need to do for us to miss the playoffs.

TeamGRWLOTLPTS
Leafs @ .50012660101
FLA151311102
NJD121110102
CBJ121101102
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That's what all of them have to do, not just FLA. Let that sink in a moment...............ALL of them have to do that.

I'm not sure how you interpret the term a "real possibility" but IMO it's quite laughable.

I mean anything is possible, but how this could be described as anything but "very unlikely" is beyond me.

Its not a concern at all. I think if we scrounge 3-4 wins we are pretty much in.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The big story in the ugly win should be meathead Polak murders Andersen. Who the hell pushes an opponent onto your goalie?

Anyone remember when EDM basically forfeit the Cup series because of a similar meathead play?

Never play a brute with no brains over intelligence.

Reactions: highslot

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
That's fair.

If we take that line (Marner/JVR/Bozak), I think it's possible that they were all guilty of lack of effort at times and Marner got demoted to the 4th line because it was a teaching moment. JVR and Bozak on the other hand are old dogs incapable of learning new tricks.

I think that at 23, Marner will be scary good. And at 27, he will be the same.
This is what I've been saying for 2 years , anybody surprised by this kid and indeed all the tip in goals we're getting just needs to go look at the videos from his London Knights days , theres a reason he and his 2 linemates there racked up over 400 points combined their last season together .

Reactions: Gary Nylund

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Its not a concern at all. I think if we scrounge 3-4 wins we are pretty much in.
Probably..........even at only 4-8 the rest of the way the 3 trailers all need to post records like this:

TeamGRWLOTLPTS
Leafs @ .3331248097
FLA15113198
NJD1293098
CBJ1292198
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The big story in the ugly win should be meathead Polak murders Andersen. Who the hell pushes an opponent onto your goalie?

Hainsey did on Staurday......... and not only did it get a goal nullified, we scored on the PP and basically iced the win. :sarcasm:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I cannot get over that quote

"Eyes blazing like a panther!"

:biglaugh:
the best was Romanuk last night describing JvR's goal as a "short sharp shot," Pink Floyd fans will get it:nod:

James van had a decent game and things dropped for him, he looked a little more interested then his usual. Not going to dis 3 G's at all because we needed all of them, Bozzie stepped up and was good in both ends, we'll need that in the playoffs

Nylander has so much talent it's crazy, I can't wait for him to get his centre back in the line-up, he's skated really well lately and I'd like to see him save some of that for Matty

Gardiner yes!/oh no, yes!/oh no, yes!/oh no, oh no, oh friggin no what were you thinking....and the beat goes on

Mitch is....... well! Mitch may be the 2nd best RW in the game right now just a few ticks behind Kucherov

all in all love the win, the effort was spotty, but when they revved it up man can they play, killing that 4 on 3 was immense, thank dawg for Polak, I know bulldozing Radulov so close to the crease wasn't real good, but Radulov was digging into Freddie with his stick, going into the playoffs other teams need to see that getting physical with Leafs goalies isn't going to be allowed. Radulov was pretty damn quiet around the net after that which was the required result

any way onto the slugs and vengence

js2k6

Jan 15, 2017
Not to mention, Washington, Pittsburgh, and Philly would also ALL have to pass the Leafs as well. That's 6 teams that have to pass them. They play against each other too, so unless they are all 3 point games, there will some games where these teams get 0 points. It's not official until they clinch, but there's a very good reason all of the playoff odds websites have them at 99.9% or higher!

Probably..........even at only 4-8 the rest of the way the 3 trailers all need to post records like this:

TeamGRWLOTLPTS
Leafs @ .3331248097
FLA15113198
NJD1293098
CBJ1292198
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hainsey did on Staurday......... and not only did it get a goal nullified, we scored on the PP and basically iced the win. :sarcasm:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think it's cool to see how much work some people are putting into seeing if our odds of making the playoffs are 99.999% or only 99.993%. The passion of Leaf fans knows no bounds! :)

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Not to mention, Washington, Pittsburgh, and Philly would also ALL have to pass the Leafs as well. That's 6 teams that have to pass them. They play against each other too, so unless they are all 3 point games, there will some games where these teams get 0 points. It's not official until they clinch, but there's a very good reason all of the playoff odds websites have them at 99.9% or higher!

Good catch.....never even considered that. :laugh:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I didnt really notice johnsson much. Any thoughts on his 1st game?
very limited TOI so it's hard to say definitively, I've seen him a couple of times this year with the Marlies, but for what it's worth

skating is elite, very solid and balanced above average edges, doesn't quite have the Kapanen top end speed, but then again only a few do

tenacious on the puck and plays bigger then he is, has some real snarl in his game

he didn't really create a whole lot last night, but competed well and most importantly always got back in a real hurry...huge positive

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Lot of tip goals tonight. Maybe I'm misremembering but I feel like I see a lot more tip-ins these days, especially skilled, directed ones. I'm not sure if it's players valuing hand-eye more, or shooters looking for that slower, slap-pass-redirect-from-20-ft-out play. Maybe both.

You aren't wrong at all, the game has changed in the last few years. Seems like 80% of goals are now bang-bang plays close to the net or tips. The number of 6 foot passes on set plays is off the charts now too. Sometimes I feel like it's an entirely different game now than even 15 years ago. I would never be able to play the game the way it's played now.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
very limited TOI so it's hard to say definitively, I've seen him a couple of times this year with the Marlies, but for what it's worth

skating is elite, very solid and balanced above average edges, doesn't quite have the Kapanen top end speed, but then again only a few do

tenacious on the puck and plays bigger then he is, has some real snarl in his game

he didn't really create a whole lot last night, but competed well and most importantly always got back in a real hurry...huge positive

Yeah this was noticeable, solid first NHL game for sure.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

TeamGRWLOTLPTS
Leafs @ .50012660101
FLA151311102
NJD121110102
CBJ121101102
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Yeah but how many of them have to do that?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
i truthfully don't know.
i'm amazed we lead the league in it. but yay!!

We also lead the league in:
  • Tipped shots/goals.
  • Times Lou circumvented or attempted to circumvent the spirit of the CBA.
  • The color Blue on our Uni's
  • Times our coach said "I dunno its up to the sports science guys."
  • Times the fan base thought the world was ending because a 4th liner and or a Black Ace was relegated to the press box.
  • Times Daisy said "Good Golly Miss Molly".... :)

Reactions: BertCorbeau

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
We also lead the league in:
  • Tipped shots/goals.
  • Times Lou circumvented or attempted to circumvent the spirit of the CBA.
  • The color Blue on our Uni's
  • Times our coach said "I dunno its up to the sports science guys."
  • Times the fan base thought the world was ending because a 4th liner and or a Black Ace was relegated to the press box.
  • Times Daisy said "Good Golly Miss Molly".... :)

:laugh:

Reactions: Smif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad