Post-Game Talk: Eyes blazing like a panther!

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Lot of tip goals tonight. Maybe I'm misremembering but I feel like I see a lot more tip-ins these days, especially skilled, directed ones. I'm not sure if it's players valuing hand-eye more, or shooters looking for that slower, slap-pass-redirect-from-20-ft-out play. Maybe both.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It was funny watching the analysts ask what's wrong with Marner 20 to 25 games into the regular season. Meanwhile, he's easily going to surpass his points, assists and goals rookie totals from last season.

Maybe have patience.
It's ridiculous how quickly the panic spreads. Our media is poison. This kid will be a 70 point player by seasons end and he doesn't turn 21 for another few months. Marner is a beauty, I can't name 5 players in the world who have the vision he has.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Lot of tip goals tonight. Maybe I'm misremembering but I feel like I see a lot more tip-ins these days, especially skilled, directed ones. I'm not sure if it's players valuing hand-eye more, or shooters looking for that slower, slap-pass-redirect-from-20-ft-out play. Maybe both.
It's gonna be a huge part of the NHL going forward. Due to players fronting shots, coaches strategizing to implement systems to shut down offense, opposing players & coaches have had to get creative on finding new ways to score goals.

Whether that's getting it through 3 bodies, or through two different knees and in - hand-eye, poise, offensive awareness, and balance have never been as important in the NHL than within the past few years. I saw a stat recently, indicating the Leafs are #1 in goals by deflection this season - VERY impressive!

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
since you asked...

2kjTrsq.jpg

iRojFNb.jpg
iE3fGsR.jpg
Hell the Mathews face really does have lion features.

Anyway just another comeback win. Complete opposite of last year. We may be a leader in come from behind wins this year.

Reactions: nonikhanna

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Leafs lead the league in tip in's and tip attempts, its by design. :)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I didn't like the effort, they got lucky hopefully they have a better effort tonight
I turned off the TV when we were ahead 2-0 and I was thinking Dallas is going to come back. Even in the Pitts game we looked shaky to start the game. Chalk it up to rust for playing 1 game in 8 days.

Sure hope Andy is OK.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It was funny watching the analysts ask what's wrong with Marner 20 to 25 games into the regular season. Meanwhile, he's easily going to surpass his points, assists and goals rookie totals from last season.

Maybe have patience.

The criticism of his game for the first 40 games or so was fair, he was not doing the things on the Bozak line he is doing now. Difference is on the Kadri line he has 2 players who can cover for his defensive gaps, his lack of back check, Now he looks more complete because he learned from his struggles that you have to compete if you have or don't have the puck.

His early struggles are what I would expect for a 19 years old in his 2nd year in the league. His elite play the last 20 games or so is what I would expect from a 19 year old who has off the chart skills to do once he grows as a hockey player. Would not surprise me one bit if the struggles he had for the first 40 games this year replicates itself for a stretch of games next year. He is young and he is learning. He is also has potential to be an elite player with rare on ice vision. His size and passing ability reminds me of Savard (Boston not Chicago).

Reactions: wingman75

weems

Jul 3, 2008

The fact that theres not nearly as many slappers nowadays allows for more tips in front of the net.
Defencemen are just getting the puck thru to the net for a tip or rebound. Also many players are working with skills coachs like Adam Oates (JVR is one of his students) and hes teaching them alot on how to control the puck and hand eye skills.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Polak has been great lately. I think people get too caught up on what kind of player he is and assumes he can't be effective.

Favorite Polak play of the last few games was when he got pressure from both sides of him on the PK, and made a nifty little between the legs pass to Komarov that gave us an easy, easy exit. Of course, not a post about it*.

* Though I've realized that few people share my appreciation for smart solutions to forechecking pressure, so it's not just a Polak thing.

Rounding into form for the playoffs perhaps? I always suspected Polak was signed with the hope that he could help us in the playoffs considering he was pretty good in the playoffs last year. I doubt they were ever thinking we would play 82 games at a high level. I wouldn't be shocked if he was even told something to that effect when he was signed.

Now that you mention is, it does feel that way.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The criticism of his game for the first 40 games or so was fair, he was not doing the things on the Bozak line he is doing now. Difference is on the Kadri line he has 2 players who can cover for his defensive gaps, his lack of back check, Now he looks more complete because he learned from his struggles that you have to compete if you have or don't have the puck.

His early struggles are what I would expect for a 19 years old in his 2nd year in the league. His elite play the last 20 games or so is what I would expect from a 19 year old who has off the chart skills to do once he grows as a hockey player. Would not surprise me one bit if the struggles he had for the first 40 games this year replicates itself for a stretch of games next year. He is young and he is learning. He is also has potential to be an elite player with rare on ice vision. His size and passing ability reminds me of Savard (Boston not Chicago).

Maybe it was fair in that there were things to criticize but then again, no player is perfect so what's the point? It's as if people were expecting a polished finished product in Marner when it should have been obvious that it would take some time to get there. And relatively speaking, he's bee pretty great from day one.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
The fact that a player only shows up to work or whatever only for the playoffs is ridiculous. I wouldn't want that player on my team. They should perform regardless.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Another factor is that goalies are much bigger and better in net, and harder to beat cleaning with a shot. In order to beat the best goalies you need to get in his eyes and those deflections are hard to stop which prevents the goalies from getting too settled.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Maybe it was fair in that there were things to criticize but then again, no player is perfect so what's the point? It's as if people were expecting a polished finished product in Marner when it should have been obvious that it would take some time to get there. And relatively speaking, he's bee pretty great from day one.

That is exactly what was happening IMO. Maybe through their own ignorance or just not understanding that a players development is not on a constant liner path upwards. Humans can take 3 steps forward, 4 back, 2 forward, 1 back, 6 forward, 2 back.... that is life. No difference for Marner, he is going to have gains and set backs.

I do think that omissions of effort are legit areas you can criticize him for, early in this season. There were times when he really lally gagged his way on the back check, that is not a skill thing that is a will thing. In a competition sport lacking the will to compete is inexcusable, for anyone, no matter what age you are.

Onward and upward, he seems to have found line mates he clicks with , that compliment his skills and his warts, if this is how good he is at 19, how good will he be at 23? 27?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That is exactly what was happening IMO. Maybe through their own ignorance or just not understanding that a players development is not on a constant liner path upwards. Humans can take 3 steps forward, 4 back, 2 forward, 1 back, 6 forward, 2 back.... that is life. No difference for Marner, he is going to have gains and set backs.

I do think that omissions of effort are legit areas you can criticize him for, early in this season. There were times when he really lally gagged his way on the back check, that is not a skill thing that is a will thing. In a competition sport lacking the will to compete is inexcusable, for anyone, no matter what age you are.

Onward and upward, he seems to have found line mates he clicks with , that compliment his skills and his warts, if this is how good he is at 19, how good will he be at 23? 27?

That's fair.

If we take that line (Marner/JVR/Bozak), I think it's possible that they were all guilty of lack of effort at times and Marner got demoted to the 4th line because it was a teaching moment. JVR and Bozak on the other hand are old dogs incapable of learning new tricks.

I think that at 23, Marner will be scary good. And at 27, he will be the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->