Player Discussion Expectations for Ryan Strome

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Strome will eventually replace RNH for half the price. I think he will be Oilers' Kadri. Maybe not as good

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I’d be happy if he finished around 30-45 points and wasn’t a liability.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Strome will eventually replace RNH for half the price. I think he will be Oilers' Kadri. Maybe not as good
RNH is on the same career trajectory as Kadri, Strome not really.

I think Strome at best is a 50 pt player and as long as we can keep him cheap thats valuable.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Depends on how they use him. If they continue to pigeonhole him as the third-line center, he'll probably be hard-pressed to hit 25 points. If he gets properly utilized in the top six, he could get 40 points.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

I think Strome at best is a 50 pt player and as long as we can keep him cheap thats valuable.
Kadri has been more physical and better on the dot for a while now. Nuge is not the same type of player at all.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Oilers are looking for their Kadri. Neither RNH and Strome are Kadri. However, Strome is in a better situation because of his contract. If he can improve in different area of his game and can be signed to a sweet deal like 3M avv long term, then he's our Kadri or Kadri-lite. The Oilers simply cannot afford to pay RNH 6M to play 3C.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Oilers are looking for their Kadri. Neither RNH and Strome are Kadri. However, Strome is in a better situation because of his contract. If he can improve in different area of his game and can be signed to a sweet deal like 3M avv long term, then he's our Kadri or Kadri-lite. The Oilers simply cannot afford to pay RNH 6M to play 3C.
They aren't. Todd loves Drai on the first line. We are paying 6 mill for a 2c

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
For Strome, I get the feeling that he's a 45-55point guy in the top 6, or like a 20point guy on the 3rd line. We have, and have had, forwards like him that can produce points, but only when given offensive minutes. Benoit Pouliot comes to mind in his first two seasons with the Oilers - produced basically nothing when on the 3rd line, but around 50 point pace in the top 6. That was why I wasn't being that hard on Strome in the first 4 games - there is nothing about the composition and personnel on our 3rd line that makes me feel like anyone on it will produce much. Ideally, we would have a real 3C for $3-4M.

Last edited:

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Speaking of longterm, Drai is not a winger. He's only there temporary. Drai is our #2C. Even Flames fans will tell you this

I agree. With that massive contract of his, the best version of this team long-term SHOULD be the one where he plays 2C. He has to be able to live up to that deal without Connor, and if he does, we're a much better team with them apart.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Too soon to know with Strome (imo). I know people are jumping all over him because he hasnt been contributing, but have sorta eased off of him after his 1 goal, 1 assist game. Last game was basically the first time he got to play in the top 6. I think hes a complimentary player and hes going to produce best with a talented center/wingers. Also a lot of times, a player just needs a year to feel comfortable with a team.

My personal expectation would be something like 15 G and 20 A. But hard to say without knowing where hes playing. If hes going to play top 6 (especially if he plays with McDavid then I would hope that his numbers are better than 15G-20A). If hes running 3C and not playing impact wingers, I dont know how people can expect too much.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I asked for predictions on pts for (almost) every Oiler prior to the season and the median prediction for Strome was 49 pts.

I'd say if he were to put up in that range, people would have to be pretty happy with his season as long as he wasn't a complete liability defensively.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I asked for predictions on pts for (almost) every Oiler prior to the season and the median prediction for Strome was 49 pts.

I'd say if he were to put up in that range, people would have to be pretty happy with his season as long as he wasn't a complete liability defensively.
Thats a high estimate. His career PPG is 0.486. Over a full season that's 40 points.
If you take his last 2 years average for a full season thats 34 points. So I think a 34-40 point season is more likely if he stays fully health.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Thats a high estimate. His career PPG is 0.486. Over a full season that's 40 points.
If you take his last 2 years average for a full season thats 34 points. So I think a 34-40 point season is more likely if he stays fully health.

That's probably fair, but I think pre-season assumptions were that he would have a bit of a "McDavid bump" from getting some playing time with McDavid at evens and potentially on the PP.

Obviously his slow start has tempered expectations but it isn't out of the question that he could hit 45-50 pts if he and the Oilers start to develop some finish and turn it around offensively.

Optimistic numbers... but possible.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That's probably fair, but I think pre-season assumptions were that he would have a bit of a "McDavid bump" from getting some playing time with McDavid at evens and potentially on the PP.

Obviously his slow start has tempered expectations but it isn't out of the question that he could hit 45-50 pts if he and the Oilers start to develop some finish and turn it around offensively.

Optimistic numbers... but possible.
Completely possible! But not likely.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Would like to see ~40 points. I would guess he does get some looks over time with McDavid as the season goes on. He should get some chances with good ice time to get some points. Just gotta hope he can take advantage when those times come.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hard to gauge. I think last game showed he is capable of putting up some points as he had a nice goal on a slap pass, and made a nice pass from his knees to set up Lucic's goal. He definitely is not a great skater, and doesn't possess any elite tools, but he's alright to good in most areas. He's a pretty non-flashy positional player with enough attributes to be a depth scorer.

I'll just make a random prediction and say 15G-24A-39P

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I think he looks better on the wing. He can surpass 40 pts if he stays there. I like that he's dropped the mits already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad