Player Discussion Expectations for Ryan Strome

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
RNH is on the same career trajectory as Kadri, Strome not really.

I think Strome at best is a 50 pt player and as long as we can keep him cheap thats valuable.

How is strome at best a 50 point player? He scored 50 as a 21 year old

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
yeah Strome is only a so-so skater himself but seems to play harder than Eberle did, though Strome still seems to be a little lost. too bad. 5th overall and has only had a 50 point season and that's all. not sure if he's going to get anywhere near 50 this year with us or not?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
yeah Strome is only a so-so skater himself but seems to play harder than Eberle did, though Strome still seems to be a little lost. too bad. 5th overall and has only had a 50 point season and that's all. not sure if he's going to get anywhere near 50 this year with us or not?
Seems to dust it off too much when he was a chance to make a play. A little too passive at times offensively. Both his points the other night he was challenging guys and making quick plays. Needs to be more aggressive.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Sample sizes bud. Needs to hit over 50 in a season to make me a believer. Huge two wins again Toews there at the end.
Was actually a honest question. I know he was good a few games ago. It no idea how he's been on the season as a whole.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Was actually a honest question. I know he was good a few games ago. It no idea how he's been on the season as a whole.
I think he’s been good. I’ll look it up. I know last game and this game he’s been solid.

Edit: 57% so far.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think he’s been good. I’ll look it up. I know last game and this game he’s been solid.

Edit: 57% so far.
Cool thanks. Im on my phone and lazy :D

If the new faceoff rules are going to benefit anyone it'll be Nuge who doesn't rely on the physical/sneaky tactics it used to take to be good at faceoffs.

As for Strome. Hoping for around 40 points and decent gritty two way play. Then sign him to a cheap 3 year deal and have him put up 50-65 points on either Drai or Connor's wing

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Strome is really not a very good NHL player.
will be an after thought after this season....maybe go to Europe, or Vegas.
He's looking like a smart player so far. Had a great 3rd period the previous game, did some good things coverage wise last night, and was part of a line that I thought got going at times.

Theres a ton of impatience for new players here presently. Its harder to play your way into lineup and favor on a good club. So Strome and Joki are playing it careful and trying to feel it out, pick their spots, and not make mistakes. When you are on a competitive club as a vet you know you are only some bad mistake away from being in a dog house.

Conversely when the Oilers were a bad club it was easy for vets to come in here and look good in comparison.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Cool thanks. Im on my phone and lazy :D

If the new faceoff rules are going to benefit anyone it'll be Nuge who doesn't rely on the physical/sneaky tactics it used to take to be good at faceoffs.

As for Strome. Hoping for around 40 points and decent gritty two way play. Then sign him to a cheap 3 year deal and have him put up 50-65 points on either Drai or Connor's wing

Strome will never be a 50 to 65 point player. Let's get real here. He's too slow and doesn't have the skill to challenge NHL defenders on a consistant basis. Rather the Oilers spend that 2 to 3 million on a better winger with upside.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Strome is really not a very good NHL player.
will be an after thought after this season....maybe go to Europe, or Vegas.
I'm not sure where you think the depth is coming from that will push him out of Edmonton.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I have zero complaints about Strome. He is way better than some were saying and plays a simple solid 2 way game. I prefer him at center from what I have seen so far.

If the Oilers can win on the backs of McDavid and Leon scoring at an unbelieveable rate while guys like Strome play solid but unspectacular 2 way hockey... That gives me serious hope our cap situation will be ok moving forward. Strome puts up 35 points and we still make the playoffs and do damage... His salary will be very affordable moving forward.

Maroon in the first 6 games certainly looks like he relied/relies heavily on McDavid to produce and may end up signing for even less than I had anticipated as well. Also makes it seem like we can put anyone on Mcdavids line that plays a simple game and have success whether he signs with the Oilers or not.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Strome hasn't been amazing, but he is far from useless as some have stated. He is playing ok hockey, nothing that will blow you out of your seat but it is steady. He needs more time to get used to the team. Just look at Sekera and Lucic, it will take some time for him, he just doesn't have the luxury of having a longer term contract.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Strome will never be a 50 to 65 point player. Let's get real here. He's too slow and doesn't have the skill to challenge NHL defenders on a consistant basis. Rather the Oilers spend that 2 to 3 million on a better winger with upside.
A 50 point player will never be a 50 point player...:huh:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He was that for a single year and has been 30 or less every other year.

Reminds me of the times when all the Gagner fans insisted he was a 50 point player with the Oilers, yet he had never hit 50 points as an Oiler. Now we have Strome and his detractors say he isnt a 50 point player and never could be, when its pretty easy to see that he has had a 50 point season in the league.

I guessing we wouldnt even have these discussions if the team was winning, as fans usually like to hunt for a scapegoat during losing times. Strome is a natural candidate because he was dealt for a high profile player who many fans loved and also loved to hate. Im sure he'll go on a good run for a while and people wont say F all, then as soon as he makes one mistake they be right down his throat. Happens with Nurse and Nuge all the time, as they seem to be the popular choices for scapegoats this year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Reminds me of the times when all the Gagner fans insisted he was a 50 point player with the Oilers, yet he had never hit 50 points as an Oiler. Now we have Strome and his detractors say he isnt a 50 point player and never could be, when its pretty easy to see that he has had a 50 point season in the league.

I guessing we wouldnt even have these discussions if the team was winning, as fans usually like to hunt for a scapegoat during losing times. Strome is a natural candidate because he was dealt for a high profile player who many fans loved and also loved to hate. Im sure he'll go on a good run for a while and people wont say F all, then as soon as he makes one mistake they be right down his throat. Happens with Nurse and Nuge all the time, as they seem to be the popular choices for scapegoats this year.

So does that mean Eberle is a 70 point player?

I think the mean is what it is. He's been a 30 point player for most of his career and that's likely what he'll hit this year. I really wish this kid would score 30 goals but it isn't likely to happen. Chia really needs to stop these NYI reclamanation projects.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I have zero complaints about Strome. He is way better than some were saying and plays a simple solid 2 way game. I prefer him at center from what I have seen so far.

If the Oilers can win on the backs of McDavid and Leon scoring at an unbelieveable rate while guys like Strome play solid but unspectacular 2 way hockey... That gives me serious hope our cap situation will be ok moving forward. Strome puts up 35 points and we still make the playoffs and do damage... His salary will be very affordable moving forward.

Maroon in the first 6 games certainly looks like he relied/relies heavily on McDavid to produce and may end up signing for even less than I had anticipated as well. Also makes it seem like we can put anyone on Mcdavids line that plays a simple game and have success whether he signs with the Oilers or not.
to me, him looking good at center is making this trade a success. 3C was a big need for us, and if Strome can progress and really grab that role, we will be a force. Right now he's got a good back and forth with Jokinen and he's learning the team. This is an exciting project imo

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
None of Lucic-RNH-Eberle/Strome really are the answer here IMO.

You can't rely on these players for regular production, when they score it's basically like a bonus.

Our secondary scoring will have to be retooled heavily over the next 2-3 years IMO. This was the risk we took in trading Taylor Hall (someone who could legitimately drive a 2nd line). We got better defensively, but we harmed our offensive attack by removing our only reliable 2nd line offensive driver.

Yamamoto and Puljujarvi pan out and we're good, and if Chia can find another Maroon-type add for the top six, then we're good. Right now though IMO outside of McDavid and Draisaitl a lot of our other top six pieces are merely temporary fits.

Right now this is the difference between us and the Leafs. Until Yamamoto/Puljujarvi pan out, we are much more one dimensional, we don't have that kind of secondary firepower.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I actually see him looking comfortable out there. For sure he's not the fastest or most skilled guy, but he's one of the guys on our team that actually looks like he is moving with a purpose out on the ice the majority of the time. Hopefully he can build some chemistry with some linemates and get to that ~40 point mark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad