Expansion Draft Thread II

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
NHL is about as amateurish with this stunt as the Bachelorette.

NHL the Carnival Barker....and we wonder why these gas bags don't care about the officiating.

Haha. Yeah this whole idea is garbage. Why try to create all this artificial drama. You're not going to be the NFL or the NBA. People don't care to watch awards being handed out and speeches and all that nonsense.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Why is Pitt trading with Vegas? I thought fluery was a sure thing

Why would Vegas do the favor of taking that specific player and contract for nothing?

It's great he waived. And that he's willing to go.

But Vegas could tell them "yeah we're taking someone else" and Pitt doesn't want that

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Yes, I'm sure Vegas is dying to do the Pens a favor for nothing in return

It's a favour taking a starting goalie ? You're saying the contract is bad so Pitts adds ? Was wondering why Rust would not get picked so that makes sense

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
NHL is about as amateurish with this stunt as the Bachelorette.

NHL the Carnival Barker....and we wonder why these gas bags don't care about the officiating.

Who gives a ****, ESPN had a Lebron's destination show and the NFL combine is televised on 2 networks. People will watch and advertisers will pay. (albeit not that many and not that much)

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It's a favour taking a starting goalie ? You're saying the contract is bad so Pitts adds ? Was wondering why Rust would not get picked so that makes sense

Teams were tip-toeing around asking players to waive their NMC's. I wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh would give something small to ensure that Vegas would take him if Fleury agreed to waive.

It's also easier to get him to waive if you can tell him that he'd definitely be taken and would get a chance to be their #1 starter for the next few seasons.

That would explain why Fleury's wife was in Vegas shopping for houses a few weeks ago.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Why do people think taking fluery is automatic but making a deal with ANA is stupid to not take their D? Vegas knows Pitt needs to get rid of Fluery so make them pay a little...

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Why do people think taking fluery is automatic but making a deal with ANA is stupid to not take their D? Vegas knows Pitt needs to get rid of Fluery so make them pay a little...

I think you are right.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Man VGJK are going to be closer to All-Stars when compared to CBJ/Nashville expansion era teams.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

This would be a Minnesota Wild miracle! If Vegas signs Haula, he's their pick from the Wild!

We'd keep Dumba, Scandella and Staal!

Last edited:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Why would Vegas do the favor of taking that specific player and contract for nothing?

But Vegas could tell them "yeah we're taking someone else" and Pitt doesn't want that

pitt would then easily move maf to someone else.......no big deal.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

This would be a Minnesota Wild miracle! If Vegas signs Haula, he's they're pick from the Wild!

We'd keep Dumba, Scandella and Staal!

OK seriously is there some sort of unwritten rule thing going on here like when teams got upset about offer sheets?

This makes no sense. They pass on Dumba for ______, but they also pass on Scandella, Staal who they could flip for assets.

Same thing with Anaheim and NYI for that matter.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Fleury is a top-10 goalie in the NHL, and on top of that what seems like the ultimate teammate.

Why would Vegas take anyone over him?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Despite all the beatings that McPhee took from Dave Brown, he's a smart cookie. He prob told the Pens that he'll pass on Fleury unless that ante up a 3rd or 4th. Although Fleury is a good pick for Vegas, they don't have to bite on him with Mrazek, Raanta, Dallas Gs, Neuvy, Grabs out there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Teams were tip-toeing around asking players to waive their NMC's. I wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh would give something small to ensure that Vegas would take him if Fleury agreed to waive.

It's also easier to get him to waive if you can tell him that he'd definitely be taken and would get a chance to be their #1 starter for the next few seasons.

That would explain why Fleury's wife was in Vegas shopping for houses a few weeks ago.

This is the reasonable opinion to have. Not "Vegas isn't going to do the Penguins a favor for free", it's "the Penguins would just be making sure Vegas takes him by offering something small".

Despite all the beatings that McPhee took from Dave Brown, he's a smart cookie. He prob told the Pens that he'll pass on Fleury unless that ante up a 3rd or 4th. Although Fleury is a good pick for Vegas, they don't have to bite on him with Mrazek, Raanta, Dallas Gs, Neuvy, Grabs out there.

I really don't think McPhee would do that, because McPhee is rumored to really want Fleury. If the Penguins give up something to get Vegas to take Fleury, my guess is it's either a part of a bigger deal where someone picked in the expansion draft goes back to the Penguins or it's more of a "let me just be sure you take him" move by Rutherford.

The Penguins don't need to get rid of Fleury.

I really don't think losing any forward exposed would be a problem, and I can't see Vegas taking Cole due to him being a UFA in a year. The thing that would hurt with Vegas taking someone else is Vegas wouldn't be taking Fleury, not that they'd be taking someone else. Almost anyone Vegas would take could be replaced internally by the Penguins.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
OK seriously is there some sort of unwritten rule thing going on here like when teams got upset about offer sheets?

This makes no sense. They pass on Dumba for ______, but they also pass on Scandella, Staal who they could flip for assets.

Same thing with Anaheim and NYI for that matter.

Vegas could still accept a deal with Minny that includes Haula going to Vegas. I see no way Vegas would sign Haula as their ED pick though.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Who gives a ****, ESPN had a Lebron's destination show and the NFL combine is televised on 2 networks. People will watch and advertisers will pay. (albeit not that many and not that much)

Someone should do a mock interview with like Jamie McGinn where he tells a baited audience that he's taking his talents to Vegas

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I doubt it's a matter of the contract being awful. It's just a very limited market for starting goalies right now. If Vegas were to decide to go a different direction then MAF what other suitors are there for MAF? Arizona? Philly?

No Pitt doesn't have to lose MAF, but I can understand how they might prefer to put the cap space to other use if they're sold on Murray. Adding a small sweetener to ensure a MAF selection isn't crazy talk.

Fleury is a top-10 goalie in the NHL, and on top of that what seems like the ultimate teammate.

Why would Vegas take anyone over him?

You'd be hard pressed to find agreement MAF is a top 10 goalie. Legit starting goalie, probably slightly below average as starters go.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You'd be hard pressed to find agreement MAF is a top 10 goalie. Legit starting goalie, probably slightly below average as starters go.

Fleury was pretty unanimously a lower top-10 goalie a year ago (I had him in the 9-12 range), although he definitely had a poor season this year. I still think he's slightly above average.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad