Expansion Draft Thread II

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Are you kidding? That's what you point to? Really substantiated your claim... so it your your stance that players can simply point to an injury they played on to not be bought out? worked well for Jared cowen.

The spirit of the unwritten rule is that you cannot buy out a player whose injury could prevent him from finding NHL work - That obvioulsy is not the case for Bieksa

Or Despres.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Could we please not duplicate the Anaheim thread in here. There's a whole huge ongoing thread in the trade forum if you want to participate.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If reports are correct that's likely just protection trades. Supposedly McPhee is handling the "auction" phase of unprotected players today.

wouldn't it be great if he gave an auction and nobody came? Honestly, for the most part the guys available have flaws...too expensive, too old, just not very good, etc. I can see selective demand for certain players but bidding wars? Not so much.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Or you know, actual reasons if you could comprehend them. I do think Anaheim (like most teams) will lose something of value - but if you think it will be something like Manson or Theodore and two 1sts, you have clearly don't have a clue.

IMO Vegas was smart. They could have played hard ball, but what would have happened is what many expected to happen. Before the expansion there would be a ton of horse trading - say the ducks trade Sami to a team with a weak D and protection space for a 2nd round pick. That is not ideal for the ducks, and not ideal for vegas as they get nothing of value for that. Instead, Vegas can be flexible and not force teams to horse trade prior to the ED, while collecting a smaller bit of value just for showing up.

Yeah this is how I'm calling it. I think we didn't see barely any trades because Vegas undercut the market and was very reasonable on 'protection' trades. This way may hurt them in the quality of players they can select, but with the trade off of building up a huge draft haul for them.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
wouldn't it be great if he gave an auction and nobody came? Honestly, for the most part the guys available have flaws...too expensive, too old, just not very good, etc. I can see selective demand for certain players but bidding wars? Not so much.

Dunno, I thought the Vegas auction thread I started has been enlightening.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2358619

Obvious a lot of the players being bid on are going to end up being protected due to a deal with Vegas. But there are still quite a lot of "lesser" players with bids of 2nd round+ values. Many of the bids have been kinda light on exemption free players/prospects that Vegas may seek out in the real auction.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yeah this is how I'm calling it. I think we didn't see barely any trades because Vegas undercut the market and was very reasonable on 'protection' trades. This way may hurt them in the quality of players they can select, but with the trade off of building up a huge draft haul for them.

I think that's the best approach for Vegas. They will build a better team in the long-term with picks and prospects, and playing the long game, than (I think) they would just grabbing current NHL depth players. There is some pretty decent talent available, but just not enough. Build from the prospect pool out.

Edit: I see you added that. :thumbu: I know some people think McPhee would be stupid to pass up some players, but I think he's taking the smarter approach. He needs young talent. Players who could be gone in a few years aren't going to help much.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Dunno, I thought the Vegas auction thread I started has been enlightening.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2358619

Obvious a lot of the players being bid on are going to end up being protected due to a deal with Vegas. But there are still quite a lot of "lesser" players with bids of 2nd round+ values. Many of the bids have been kinda light on exemption free players/prospects that Vegas may seek out in the real auction.

Yeah, only so many players can be flipped for draft picks or prospects who are years away. Ultimately, LV has to field a team and stock a minor league team as well. They'll need to find 40-50 guys to get under contract by September.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

completely agreed.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I think that's the best approach for Vegas. They will build a better team in the long-term with picks and prospects, and playing the long game, than (I think) they would just grabbing current NHL depth players. There is some pretty decent talent available, but just not enough. Build from the prospect pool out.

Edit: I see you added that. :thumbu: I know some people think McPhee would be stupid to pass up some players, but I think he's taking the smarter approach. He needs young talent. Players who could be gone in a few years aren't going to help much.

Right, and most of the people saying that Mchphee is an idiot for not taking the better players, doesn't realize that those players would likely never be made available to him if they played hard ball.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

My only hesitation is that they're building up in (presumably) the 2017 draft. With 5 first round picks, I'd anticipate that ~2 of them would become solid NHL'ers.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
My only hesitation is that they're building up in (presumably) the 2017 draft. With 5 first round picks, I'd anticipate that ~2 of them would become solid NHL'ers.

they won't all be for 2017 draft

scrappylilnobody

Feb 11, 2006
So what time do we have to wait to for the team to be announced? 10am? Noon? Or sometime during the NHL awards?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Could we please not duplicate the Anaheim thread in here. There's a whole huge ongoing thread in the trade forum if you want to participate.

Sorry about contributing to that. It's a moot argument anyways, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
So McPhee has confirmed he's made 6 deals. Who are the likely candidates? Ducks, Isles, Columbus, Minny are probables, Florida? Who else? Apologies if this has been asked already.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
So McPhee has confirmed he's made 6 deals. Who are the likely candidates? Ducks, Isles, Columbus, Minny are probables, Florida? Who else? Apologies if this has been asked already.

According to speculation by Bob McKenzie, the six teams are Anaheim, NY Islanders, Columbus, Chicago, Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh.

At least, for the 'protection' portion of this process.

Perhaps tomorrow we will hear about more deals for the 'auction' portion of this process.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Does anyone know when the trades will be announced with Vegas? is it at 10 am tomorrow?

Read the thread. Selections and trades are announced throughout the award show tomorrow night. The NHL isn't going to spill the beans when they have an opportunity to increase viewership for their boring awards show.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Any new on the Nashville/James Neal situation? I'd assume they try and do a trade around Craig Smith+ if possible.

You'd have to think the price would be high, higher than Nashville would want to pay. If Nashville really wanted to keep both Jarnkrok and Neal they messed up by not selecting the one with more value/demand around the league, because McPhee is just going to say "you have to give me more than I could get in a trade". Neal is easily a 1st, Jarnkrok? Maybe a 1st, more likely like a 2nd and 3rd.

To Vegas the value would be:
1. Likely bottom 10 1st round pick at the deadline for Neal.
2. Value of having a quality player before the deadline so at least you can put a decent product on the ice.
3. Having to take Smith's bad contract

That probably puts you in pick 10-15 territory, I'm guessing the asking price for McPhee would be 31 this year and 1st next year, that's probably similar value. I can't see Nashville paying that unless Neal re-signs at a decent rate, which he probably won't unless Nashville acquires a center for Neal, which will cost you another 1st probably. Doubtful poille wants to pay that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad