Expansion Draft Thoughts and Disappointments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
As much as I like Stanley DeMelo should of been protected instead of Stanley. That said the Jets should suck it up and lose either Apple or DeMelo and not waste any other assets trying to protect them. If Apple is picked the Jets can easily replace him. If we lose DeMelo the Jets horrible D just gets worst.

As a fan of Chevy I have to say protecting Stanley over DeMelo is a idiotic move.

Unless Chevy knows SEA will take Appleton or has a side deal lined up. I think it's premature to call it idiotic until we see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: libertarian

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It very well could be that they have something bigger lined up for Copp or they just really want to keep him.

My thoughts on this remain the same, I have no idea what is going to happen with Copp.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
As a fan of Chevy I have to say protecting Stanley over DeMelo is a idiotic move.

Too early to judge that. DeMelo would sink to third pairing IF Chevy delivers and gets an upgraded RHD. Having a $3M third pairing D is a luxury in that context.

I think we need to see this play out over the next 10 days. Will we be celebrating his moves or do we want to fire his arse for screwing this offseason up? This is a pretty intense and exciting few days.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I agree. I do think that if Chevy protected him he knows something we don’t. I think the time to trade him would of been before the expansion draft imo.

Then we could of protected apples depending on the return

Keep in mind you'd also likely have to protect the return from a Copp trade.

Chevy tried to move him before the deadline. Didnt seem like he had many takers.

I saw that he apparently tried to move Appleton but I was talking about Copp.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I think fans would be completely justified in calling for Cheveldayoff to be fired if we lose Demelo and enter next season with the same "aw shucks, we couldn't make the deal we wanted" nonsense. Exposing Demelo and losing him is entirely self inflicted.
Holding on to Demelo doesn’t change that. He is a fine player but he isn’t a difference maker.

do you really think if the Jets lose Stanley and do nothing else there wouldn’t be a different or even the same group of fans getting all angry online? C’mon

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
My main argument for the entire situation always was that Enstrom was never going to be the guy they took anyways, they bluffed Chevy and he fell for it. So being scared of losing him was rather asinine in the first place. We should have asked him to waive, not made any side deals and called McPhees bluff on it and went 7-3 like we did anyways and just lost who we lost.

I was digging around for my take on this: Expansion draft

Something will get done with Enstrom (waive or bought out) and Jets go 7-3-1. In terms of eligible forwards, of course Scoreburn will be resigned as a PB guy (just like the role he had this year...ahem).

Vegas would take Dano. If Enstrom does waive, Jets may give a sweetener (3rd rounder, or B prospect) to direct Vegas to take Dano.

It seems like a better option for Vegas. Why would they want an older, declining d-man with 1-year left on an expensive contract? I assume Chevy works this out with Vegas beforehand so that there is no risk to Enstrom to waive.

This is my strong feeling of how this will shake down.

What the Jets gave up to protect both Dano and Enstrom (dropping from 14 to 24, and a third round pick) was equivalent to a mid second round pick from a draft value perspective.

I thought Dano was trash (even though he was loved by the excel spreadsheet crowd) but giving up a second to respect Enstrom’s sacrifice and keep our roster intact wasn’t a big cost.

Hindsight says that if we didn’t give up compensation, we technically could have had Suzuki and some would say what a bad deal Chevy made but I don’t think that was a fair way of looking at it.

From what I recall, it sounded like the Jets did not guarantee Enstrom that they work out a deal to protect him if he waived but I would think they told him they would reasonably try. Without any assurance, does Enstrom even waive in the first place and then we lose someone more valuable?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Something to consider... the Jets deciding to protect Stanley (and not DeMelo) is a pretty strong indicator that they thought there was a relatively high likelihood that the Kraken would have selected Stanley over Appleton. Now, maybe they are wrong about that, but it's the only logical explanation for protecting Stanley at all. My guess is that Stanley's value around the NHL is quite a bit higher than many around this board would estimate.

I think is his value might be both higher than many on our board think and also lower than many on the board think. One thing we do know is he valued by our org and they don’t want to risk losing him.

buyinnow

Mar 7, 2010
Dano was protected because there was an available slot to protect him. Window dressing. The Jets would've been very happy to give Vegas Dano. they weren't interested.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Maybe. I think the Jets genuinely wanted to keep Appleton, or at least get some value for him on the trade market. But few teams had protection space, or weren't willing to give enough to make it worthwhile for the Jets, I guess.

Regardless, the only reason to protect Stanley is the concern that the Kraken might select him over Appleton.

I could see the Kraken taking Stanley over Appleton. We do know our org didn’t want to take that risk.

Reactions: Flair Hay

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Listening to Cheveldayoff on the Fly By podcast. Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but he mentioned in the last expansion draft they had a side deal so they knew who Vegas would select. He said it’ll be different watching it this time. Perhaps he’s suggesting there was no side deal?

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
It still amazes me some ppl think losing our 4th best D or 8th best forward is gonna cripple us. Way to much is being made of this here. Everyone but vegas loses 1 player. So be it.
To be clear I don’t think DeMelo is our 4th best D, I think he is our 3rd best D and better than Stanley. If Stanley were better than DeMelo don’t you think he’d at least be paired with Pionk on the 2nd pair last season. My concern over losing DeMelo is how thin the Jets are at RHD. If the Jets had RHD like Hienola and Samberg on the cusp of making the team I would be less concerned about DeMelo’s potential loss.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Listening to Cheveldayoff on the Fly By podcast. Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but he mentioned in the last expansion draft they had a side deal so they knew who Vegas would select. He said it’ll be different watching it this time. Perhaps he’s suggesting there was no side deal?

Well at the end of year he didn't seem all that interested in moving picks so yeah he likely doesn't have a deal in place.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I’ll have to remember to use the “I was being sarcastic” line when I’m wrong.
Heaven forbid you acknowledge you were incorrect.

Oh Jeesus! I thought the sarcasm was so obvious there no one could possibly miss it. Chevy doing a thing, anything, doesn't make it right. Just makes it what he did.

The debate was never about what Chevy would do. Or is that what you thought it was? It was about what he should do and all of the context surrounding that decision. Whether he has done the right thing or not is going to depend on how it plays out from here.

It could be that Seattle will pass on DeMelo and take Appleton but would have taken Stanley if he had been exposed. That would make exposing DeMelo to have been the right choice. But not because Stanley is better and certainly not because Stanley is bigger.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't know how generous you are being when Nuge and Eriksson-Ek just signed for over $5 million, and Copp had more points last year than either.

They both signed 8 year deals.

Term plays the keys role in the value of the signing. No way its $5 million for Copp's last RFA year.

Neither Nuge or Eriksson-Ek get anywhere near that money if they hadn't signed max term deals.

So while its' possible Copp signs a long term $5 million deal, it's just as possible Chevy walks him to free agency on a one year $3.5 deal.

As for the rest, my takeaway from your comment is we are basically on the same page, simply quibbling about a $0.8 million total over 3 players.

Last edited:
Reactions: voyageur

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There's some offense there - but it wouldn't be the only reason you keep him.
I think size has come up a couple of times - along with his ability to move the puck and defend.
and don't forget "potential" :naughty:
I'd keep him for those reasons - not to put words in the mouth of the poster you responded to.

I hope we haven't been forced to choose between them. No matter how good Stanley may be, or how much potential he may have, we need DeMelo. At least until we have a replacement.

We don't need Stanley. We may need size on the back end. That is debatable. But size is easily available elsewhere. But we have other options for his position. We don't for DeMelo's position - as far as we know right now.

We can only hope that either Seattle doesn't take DeMelo (I think they should), or that Chevy has a good replacement all lined up.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lol… veteran presence on a young D core… any bottom pairing RHD vet at no more than 1250000 would work

jk
Mostly, I like your plan. Unfortunately I don't think those trades fly. And I don't want Hamonic. We could do better there.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Demelo was our 3 rhd last season until the playoffs pretty much just the 1st round so the idea we need him is odd. We need size and youth and cheap contracts... Stanley provides the Jets with something they don't have. Size and grit on D.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think you absolutely take Gourde. Arguably the best player of the bunch signed to a great contract for 4 years. Can play center or either wing. Foote is a nice piece and the RHD field is light but if you want to build a decent team Gourde is solid and has incredible value if you want to move him.

Not disputing Gourde's ability, but if I'm building a team I look for young guys who will still be around when the team gets good.

Seattle drafting players to flip is something that will likely affect at least some of their picks. They might take some older guys, like Giordano, who won't fit their timeline but who will return good assets from some other team. That is a factor that is hard to predict.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad