Expansion Draft Thoughts and Disappointments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I think he's a more valuable trade asset and losing him for nothing isn't as desirable as trading him. We'll see what happens in the next week or so.

I agree. I do think that if Chevy protected him he knows something we don’t. I think the time to trade him would of been before the expansion draft imo.

Then we could of protected apples depending on the return

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think he's a more valuable trade asset and losing him for nothing isn't as desirable as trading him. We'll see what happens in the next week or so.

Chevy tried to move him before the deadline. Didnt seem like he had many takers.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I agree. I do think that if Chevy protected him he knows something we don’t. I think the time to trade him would of been before the expansion draft imo.

Then we could of protected apples depending on the return

It very well could be that they have something bigger lined up for Copp or they just really want to keep him.

Reactions: Teemusalami204
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Who do you think they would have taken?

The major takeaway that many (including myself) forgot about was we were in danger of losing Lowry.

Enstrom waived his NMC so that the 7-3-1 was possible. The Jets were poised to go 4-4-1 otherwise.

Enstrom & Buff had full NMC's & Trouba was a no brainer. Myers being exposed had been debated to death but in the end the Jets protected him.

Since we're ripping scabs open - I wanted Foote or Valimaki. Either would be regulars in our lineup by now - maybe top 4... or riding the pine and waiting for Beaulieu to get injured... tossup.

Speaking of ripping scabs open, in the end the same player (Enstrom) that was the source of that all the Vegas expansion kerfuffle was a healthy scratch against that same team (Vegas) in game 5.

Has Enstrom ever been interviewed since? I recall he took no exit interview & walked out on the team before lockers were even cleared out.

Last edited:
Reactions: voyageur
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Me neither that’s why I thought losing him to Seattle wouldn’t be too bad

Term plays the keys role in the value of the signing. No way its $5 million for Copp's last RFA year.

With that said if a season ever existed to sign him at $5 million long term it's this one. Jets can easily afford a $5 million hit, pay Pionk $6 million, sign Stanley to $1.2 million & still have nearly $8 million in cap space to go big game hunting all while still having Little's LTIR money in their back pocket.

Further all these numbers are being highly generous. Highly likely if these three sign it'll be for $1 million less in total.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The major takeaway that many (including myself) forgot about was we were in danger of losing Lowry.

Enstrom waived his NMC so that the 7-3-1 was possible. The Jets were poised to go 4-4-1 otherwise.

Enstrom & Buff had full NMC's & Trouba was a no brainer. Myers being exposed had been debated to death but in the end the Jets protected him.

Speaking of ripping scabs open, in the end the same player (Enstrom) that was the source of that all the Vegas expansion kerfuffle was a healthy scratch against that same team (Vegas) in game 5.

Has Enstrom ever been interviewed since? I recall he took no exit interview & walked out on the team before lockers were even cleared out.

If I recall correctly his wife had cancer back in Sweden so the moment the season was over he hopped on a plane to get back there to be with her. There was also some murmurs he was a little ticked at the coaching staff for scratching him against Vegas.

All in all I think the real issue a lot of people had was we made a side deal for a good draft pick to protect a declining 33 year old defencemen with 1 year left on his contract that should have agreed to waive for the betterment of the team anyways as I don’t think he was the likely target either way. I said it then and Ill say it again they were likely taking Chiarot or Dano with Esntrom on the table and Chevy got outplayed by McPhee who got what he really wanted in the end which was our draft pick.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Yeah that didn’t end well. But we weren’t worried because Niku was tearing up the AHL

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Something to consider... the Jets deciding to protect Stanley (and not DeMelo) is a pretty strong indicator that they thought there was a relatively high likelihood that the Kraken would have selected Stanley over Appleton. Now, maybe they are wrong about that, but it's the only logical explanation for protecting Stanley at all. My guess is that Stanley's value around the NHL is quite a bit higher than many around this board would estimate.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Something to consider... the Jets deciding to protect Stanley (and not DeMelo) is a pretty strong indicator that they thought there was a relatively high likelihood that the Kraken would have selected Stanley over Appleton. Now, maybe they are wrong about that, but it's the only logical explanation for protecting Stanley at all. My guess is that Stanley's value around the NHL is quite a bit higher than many around this board would estimate.

very true. Also demelo is a very replaceable player.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Huh?
You're saying Seattle wouldn't take Appleton?
His 900K for his level of play and team control isn't worth something?
DeMelo, when the options for RD are thin for Seattle isn't worth grabbing?
Did I miss an earlier post that would make your statement make sense?
Idk, you probably just didn't look at the eligibility list.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
This was my mock draft today:

78.4m - Seattle Kraken
Dadonov - Johansen - Tarasenko
McCann - Danault - Bailey
Namestnikov - Compher - Blackwell
Joseph - Girgensons - Lemieux
(Pitlick/Bastian/Kahun/Lafferty)

Giordano - Shattenkirk
Zadorov - Demelo
Simek - Kukan
(Lauzon/Bean
Bowey/Hagg)

Driedger
Kahkonen/Vanecek
Bishop traded for assets

Seattle already has a ton of deals in place which it makes it hard to predict, but thought I'd take a swing at it.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Just seems a bit weird - I guess they didn’t know the lists but Oleksiak and Zadorov are available - would take both over Stanley... Hakanpaa is a Stanley type as well

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Term plays the keys role in the value of the signing. No way its $5 million for Copp's last RFA year.

With that said if a season ever existed to sign him at $5 million long term it's this one. Jets can easily afford a $5 million hit, pay Pionk $6 million, sign Stanley to $1.2 million & still have nearly $8 million in cap space to go big game hunting all while still having Little's LTIR money in their back pocket.

Further all these numbers are being highly generous. Highly likely if these three sign it'll be for $1 million less in total.

I don't know how generous you are being when Nuge and Eriksson-Ek just signed for over $5 million, and Copp had more points last year than either. Heiskanen just hit the jackpot, and Pionk has a higher PPG average (at least regular season, the bubble playoffs might have given Heiskanen some extra value). I don't know what any of the negotiations this offseason are going to be like, I don't think you will get team friendly Scheif and Ehlers contracts though. Stanley's bridge will be interesting, because he earned over 1.25 million with bonuses last year, and I suspect that since Beaulieu earns 1.25 that the standard might be higher.

If you are spending $13 million on 3 players, well assuming Apples gets taken, that leaves about $7 million to fill 6 or 7 roster spots, with some LTIR wiggle room with Little, but as we saw last year the Jets played by the book. I wouldn't expect any big game hunting, but some more bargain hunting this offseason, especially since the actual payroll is considerably higher than the Cap Hit, which hasn't been the case for many years now.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just seems a bit weird - I guess they didn’t know the lists but Oleksiak and Zadorov are available - would take both over Stanley... Hakanpaa is a Stanley type as well
It does seem unusual, but unless Chevy is completely out to lunch, he and his staff must have gotten a read that Stanley's value around the NHL is higher than Appleton's (at least).

Oleksiak is a UFA, and no assurance that Seattle would / could sign him.

Zadorov is an RFA with arbitration rights and a qualifying salary of $3.2M. He could walk to UFA in a year.

Hakanpaa is a 29-year old UFA.

Stanley is an RFA without arbitration rights, likely to be on another cheap contract.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

None

Feb 22, 2012

The talk about shopping Appleton may have just been the Jets gauging value.

(Edit: Relative to what Seattle was asking to protect a player outside of the protection lists?)

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

Stanley is under our control. Very good chance both those players you mentioned sign somewhere else. Im glad Chevy wouldn’t take that risk.

What would be the harm of having Stanley and one of those big players you mentioned as well ?

Demelo is an easily replaced player. Almost dime a dozen imo. A lot of us over value him because we have no one else. If we upgrade our defence he’s third pairing

also there is a very very high chance Seattle has told Chevy they are taking apples. Francis is going to want to build positive relationships for future business and probably had worked with many teams on who he would take.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The talk about shopping Appleton may have just been the Jets gauging value.
Maybe. I think the Jets genuinely wanted to keep Appleton, or at least get some value for him on the trade market. But few teams had protection space, or weren't willing to give enough to make it worthwhile for the Jets, I guess.

Regardless, the only reason to protect Stanley is the concern that the Kraken might select him over Appleton.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Stanley is under our control. Very good chance both those players you mentioned sign somewhere else. Im glad Chevy wouldn’t take that risk.

What would be the harm of having Stanley and one of those big players you mentioned as well ?

Demelo is an easily replaced player. Almost dime a dozen imo. A lot of us over value him because we have no one else. If we upgrade our defence he’s third pairing

also there is a very very high chance Seattle has told Chevy they are taking apples. Francis is going to want to build positive relationships for future business and probably had worked with many teams on who he would take.

It seems like hes going for the jugular mostly. 1st and a 3rd to protect Jake Allen? That to me doesnt seem like a GM willing to build positive relationships. Seems like Francis decided he would rather make it hurt than build any goodwill.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This was my mock draft today:

78.4m - Seattle Kraken
Dadonov - Johansen - Tarasenko
McCann - Danault - Bailey
Namestnikov - Compher - Blackwell
Joseph - Girgensons - Lemieux
(Pitlick/Bastian/Kahun/Lafferty)

Giordano - Shattenkirk
Zadorov - Demelo
Simek - Kukan
(Lauzon/Bean
Bowey/Hagg)

Driedger
Kahkonen/Vanecek
Bishop traded for assets

Seattle already has a ton of deals in place which it makes it hard to predict, but thought I'd take a swing at it.

I have another Ive been working on in my mind with some side deals and UFA signings. The how I would do it method. I'll post it tomorrow when I have some time.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
As much as I like Stanley DeMelo should of been protected instead of Stanley. That said the Jets should suck it up and lose either Apple or DeMelo and not waste any other assets trying to protect them. If Apple is picked the Jets can easily replace him. If we lose DeMelo the Jets horrible D just gets worst.

As a fan of Chevy I have to say protecting Stanley over DeMelo is a idiotic move.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I did.
You think Appleton isn't in the top 12 for the Kraken?

Depends on how you draft from the players available. If you take a more pick em and trade em approach he could end uo being in their top 6. If you take a lets compete now approach he is likely battling it out with a number of guys for a bottom 9 spot. Unless he takes a giant leap forward this offseason.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
As much as I like Stanley DeMelo should of been protected instead of Stanley. That said the Jets should suck it up and lose either Apple or DeMelo and not waste any other assets trying to protect them. If Apple is picked the Jets can easily replace him. If we lose DeMelo the Jets horrible D just gets worst.

As a fan of Chevy I have to say protecting Stanley over DeMelo is a idiotic move.
Losing Stanley would have been an idiot move. That being said, I agree our D is weak regardless of what happens. What we really need is a number one

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

Demelo and Stanley have both been overrated and underrated by ppl on here. Demelo is a fine 3 RD but he's not a legit top 4 on a contender. Stanley might be a 3 LD but his size and youth means you protect him over the guy who has reached his ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad