Expansion Draft Thoughts and Disappointments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Is it only me that thinks the Expansion Draft is something that is very disruptive to our team and others in advancing their plans to be better until after the ED. Yes the owners get money and split revenues with this new team but the fans are negatively effected by the follow due to the length of time between announcing and awarding expansion teams and the date that the ED takes place:
1.) That we are going to lose a very valuable player after years of suffering through the draft and develop phase.
2.) That the Expansion Draft curtails/handcuffs our teams plan to enhancing our talent levels prior to the ED via trading.

Yes this may seem self-centred as we have a team already but why so long between announcing the team and that teams draft. GM's have had this potential issue on their plates for two plus years.

There are few positives to be had via expansion. This is not aimed at the fans of the Kracken.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
The game itself is an exciting way to spend three hours. As a pretty passionate hockey fan, I get almost as much enjoyment following the managerial strategy and maneuvering of team building.

The expansion draft simply expands my interest and now I have another city to visit and cheer on my Jets.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
There's no practical way to shorten the time between announcing an official expansion and an expansion draft:

- The new ownership group and market isn't going to spend all that money on new infrastructure, developing the team's brand, etc without knowing the team is going to happen.
- The team won't realistically be ready to play after just one off-season.
- The players wouldn't want to have the draft happen a year before the team is ready to go and then just not play for a season.

It is very disruptive to forward planning but the NHL is a billion dollar industry, the teams should be able to find someone to figure out how to make it as painless as possible for their team. Every team is in the same boat so it's not that unfair.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
There's no practical way to shorten the time between announcing an official expansion and an expansion draft:

- The new ownership group and market isn't going to spend all that money on new infrastructure, developing the team's brand, etc without knowing the team is going to happen.
- The team won't realistically be ready to play after just one off-season.
- The players wouldn't want to have the draft happen a year before the team is ready to go and then just not play for a season.

It is very disruptive to forward planning but the NHL is a billion dollar industry, the teams should be able to find someone to figure out how to make it as painless as possible for their team. Every team is in the same boat so it's not that unfair.
Except vk they should share in the money and player lose they are so good already as a fan it’s not fair as a fan that they keep their roster completely intact.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Is it only me that thinks the Expansion Draft is something that is very disruptive to our team and others in advancing their plans to be better until after the ED. Yes the owners get money and split revenues with this new team but the fans are negatively effected by the follow due to the length of time between announcing and awarding expansion teams and the date that the ED takes place:
1.) That we are going to lose a very valuable player after years of suffering through the draft and develop phase.
2.) That the Expansion Draft curtails/handcuffs our teams plan to enhancing our talent levels prior to the ED via trading.

Yes this may seem self-centred as we have a team already but why so long between announcing the team and that teams draft. GM's have had this potential issue on their plates for two plus years.

There are few positives to be had via expansion. This is not aimed at the fans of the Kracken.

I disagree, I think the Jets are in a good position for the draft, maybe some other teams will have a lot tougher time I'm not sure.

1)It's looking like the Jets will lose someone like Demelo, Stanley, Appleton, Harkins, Berdin. None of those guys are "very valuable", probably worth a mid round pick or two

2)If the Jets add a Dman, that means that both Demelo and Stanley will be exposed, but they'll still just lose one of them, and as I see it is still a toss up about which one of them will be protected and/or selected as it is. Having to expose them both won't stop Chevy from upgrading on them as much as the cost of the trade and cap space issues will.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

We'll lose a valuable player. So will most other teams. Some will lose a more valuable player than we will.

To quite a large extent, timing is dictated by construction/renovation schedules.

Even though the competitive impact is roughly the same for all teams, fans patience is tested because of the roadblock imposed by expansion. But that infusion of cash is very important to most teams.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I disagree, I think the Jets are in a good position for the draft, maybe some other teams will have a lot tougher time I'm not sure.

1)It's looking like the Jets will lose someone like Demelo, Stanley, Appleton, Harkins, Berdin. None of those guys are "very valuable", probably worth a mid round pick or two

2)If the Jets add a Dman, that means that both Demelo and Stanley will be exposed, but they'll still just lose one of them, and as I see it is still a toss up about which one of them will be protected and/or selected as it is. Having to expose them both won't stop Chevy from upgrading on them as much as the cost of the trade and cap space issues will.
Appleton and Demelo are worth a mid round pick. That is a hot take if I’ve ever heard one.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
The game itself is an exciting way to spend three hours. As a pretty passionate hockey fan, I get almost as much enjoyment following the managerial strategy and maneuvering of team building.

The expansion draft simply expands my interest and now I have another city to visit and cheer on my Jets.
Good post! We ex-pats will see you at Kraken’s new arena for the Jets’ visit..easily identified by our mini-White-out!

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

There are zero positives for existing teams. The Jets have a history of being screwed by these types of situations. Those of us old enough (I was barely into my teens but I remember) can recall how the Avco Cup winning Jets were totally fleeced by the NHL in 1979 for the honour of joining their exclusive club. The only positive was that it led to us eventually landing Dale Hawerchuk.

Am I the only one who was pissed off at how quickly Vegas became a major contender in the NHL? We were beaten in the playoffs - and a very realistic shot at winning the Stanley Cup - by a franchise that was spoiled like a rich single child on Christmas. Now, Seattle will have an even better shot at becoming a force at the expense of existing clubs. Yeah, you still need talent in the front office to make the right choices, but let's be realistic...they get a huge boost.

As mad as I am as a Jets fan, Red Wings, Sabres and Sens fans have to be even angrier. They're struggling to be competitive, and they'll get to see a brand new club take someone valuable off their roster and be a much better team than they are in a matter of months.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

I could not disagree more. Any one of the five you mentioned are either valuable now, or have a very high ceiling. Stanley will be a force in this league, don't kid yourself. Demelo will be necessary until our Moose d-men are ready. Appleton is an important reason why we may have the best third line in the league. Harkins proved that he is an opportunity away from becoming the next Appleton.

... either way, it will sting.

Reactions: kellhunter

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
There are zero positives for existing teams. The Jets have a history of being screwed by these types of situations. Those of us old enough (I was barely into my teens but I remember) can recall how the Avco Cup winning Jets were totally fleeced by the NHL in 1979 for the honour of joining their exclusive club. The only positive was that it led to us eventually landing Dale Hawerchuk.

Am I the only one who was pissed off at how quickly Vegas became a major contender in the NHL? We were beaten in the playoffs - and a very realistic shot at winning the Stanley Cup - by a franchise that was spoiled like a rich single child on Christmas. Now, Seattle will have an even better shot at becoming a force at the expense of existing clubs. Yeah, you still need talent in the front office to make the right choices, but let's be realistic...they get a huge boost.

As mad as I am as a Jets fan, Red Wings, Sabres and Sens fans have to be even angrier. They're struggling to be competitive, and they'll get to see a brand new club take someone valuable off their roster and be a much better team than they are in a matter of months.
The NHL had to spoil Vegas.

Once Vegas enters a rebuild they’ll have attendance and financial issues. Not a good look for the NHL — but Bettman’s obsession with southern U.S. markets trumps all.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Good post! We ex-pats will see you at Kraken’s new arena for the Jets’ visit..easily identified by our mini-White-out!

I'd love to get back to Seattle to see the Seahawks and the Kraken, preferably against the Jets.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
The NHL had to spoil Vegas.

Once Vegas enters a rebuild they’ll have attendance and financial issues. Not a good look for the NHL — but Bettman’s obsession with southern U.S. markets trumps all.
I would add that Vegas had some luck in teams over thinking things like Anaheim and Florida and some luck of their own like Peron and Neil. They would never admit it but I’m convinced they took both those guys to flip the am at the deadline being UFAs.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Just find a way for Seattle to take DeMelo. He's not bad now, but he's bound to be terrible for us.

Probably trade Harkins away for Seattle to take DeMelo, other than that we don't have bad contracts as he's as bad as it gets as getting rid of him makes room to possible sign Pionk or worst-case-scenario we're forced to trade him. Would've said Appleton last year but since Laine is gone Appleton has been flourishing with his opportunity to prove himself which he has been doing very well.

Reactions: GNP

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I'm guessing Chipman sees $21.67 M US currency as a positive, especially following a season when everyone bled money.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I could not disagree more. Any one of the five you mentioned are either valuable now, or have a very high ceiling. Stanley will be a force in this league, don't kid yourself. Demelo will be necessary until our Moose d-men are ready. Appleton is an important reason why we may have the best third line in the league. Harkins proved that he is an opportunity away from becoming the next Appleton.

... either way, it will sting.

So if we lose Appleton we have Harkins waiting. Demelo was a UFA signing. I don't see Stanley being a top 4 guy but I'm happy you are excited about him.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Seriously what's the problem?
The Jets are only losing one player and whoever they lose ... they can be replaced from the Moose or cheap FA.
This thing about trading a second player to Seattle if they take player A is insane ... it means you are losing TWO players.:huh:
How do you think Vegas got so good so fast. If the other GMs just would have let Vegas take one player they would not be a power house today and Nick Suzuki would have been a Jet. I think the GMs learned a lesson and Seattle won't be stockpiling picks.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
The Jets are only losing one player and whoever they lose ... they can be replaced from the Moose or cheap FA.
This thing about trading a second player to Seattle if they take player A is insane ... it means you are losing TWO players.:huh:
How do you think Vegas got so good so fast. If the other GMs just would have let Vegas take one player they would not be a power house today and Nick Suzuki would have been a Jet. I think the GMs learned a lesson and Seattle won't be stockpiling picks.
Completely agree.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I agree. We are loosing a third line forward or a number 4-6 dmen. A lot of people are overrating what Stanley has accomplished and what he is likely to be in this league.

If Stanley is selected We have an in house replacement that is likely to be a better player in Samberg. If Harkins is selected We have an in house replacement in Vesalainen.

I am not worried one bit with what we will loose in the expansion draft. Best not to overthink the situation and just let Seattle choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad