Post-Game Talk: Expansion Draft Results - Poll

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Copp i dont think was signed yet so he couldnt have been exposed. Would have been mathias who i believe is better dano. The cost they paid was also not to take mathias and a few others too.

Are you allergic to doing even the tiniest bit of research before posting? Google "NHL expansion draft protected lists". Click on first result.

Winnipeg Jets

Protected players
Joel Armia (F)
Andrew Copp (F)
Bryan Little (F)
Adam Lowry (F)
Mathieu Perreault (F)
Mark Scheifele (F)
Blake Wheeler (F)
Dustin Byfuglien (D)
Tyler Myers (D)
Jacob Trouba (D)
Connor Hellebuyck (G)

In about 7 months, people will say we either traded #13 for #24 so Vegas wouldn't select Bryan Little, or we traded Dano straight up for #13. Depending on who you ask. Short memories.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Are you allergic to doing even the tiniest bit of research before posting? Google "NHL expansion draft protected lists". Click on first result.

In about 7 months, people will say we either traded #13 for #24 so Vegas wouldn't select Bryan Little, or we traded Dano straight up for #13. Depending on who you ask. Short memories.
Whilee said copp was exposed in the xd with dano and enstrom at least thats the way i read it.. That didnt happen.Yes i know he was protected. But all i said was copp wasn't signed so he couldnt have been exposed. Is that statement untrue.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Don't get the Dano love. Guy has shown nothing since he's been here. Might not even make the 4th line. There's no way Vegas would have taken him over Enstrom. Enstroms cap hit is a non factor as they are not near the cap limit.

Well the Jets didn't want to give up Toby who is a big part our defense still. I dont get the handwringing. We want to win this year so keeping our key guys was worth the price to trade down.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Whilee said copp was exposed in the xd with dano and enstrom at least thats the way i read it..
No, he didn't.
That didnt happen.Yes i know he was protected. But all i said was copp wasn't signed so he couldnt have been exposed. Is that statement untrue.
Of course it's untrue. Unsigned RFAs (e.g. Pulkkinen) and unsigned UFAs (e.g. our very own Thorburn) could be, and have been, selected

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
No, he didn't.

Of course it's untrue. Unsigned RFAs (e.g. Pulkkinen) and unsigned UFAs (e.g. our very own Thorburn) could be, and have been, selected

I understand the rules well. thanks. but if you look at what whileee wrote.
"enstrom waives his nmc."
"jets protect 3d 7f, leaving vegas to choose from enstrom and copp or dano".
what I think he means and if I'm wrong so be it. so either copp or dano would be the 7th f protected leaving the other one exposed. so if the jets were to protect dano lets say copp needed a contract. because they needed to expose 2 forwards under contract. it ended up beng mathias and dano. so copp wasn't under contract so he couldn't have been exposed. I know full well he was protected. and that's the only point I was trying to make. if I read it wrong . my mistake.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Still in denial that Chevy was played at the expansion draft? He should've dared McPhee to take Toby and his 6mill cap hit over the much younger Dano (maybe include a small add). Methot was flipped for a future 2nd, fair to say Toby would've returned less/no better. Trading down was an act of weakness.

You might be right and maybe Chevy could have called a bluff, but that's not really the point. The motivation wasn't to protect Dano as some continue to claim, it was to protect Enstrom or Lowry / Armia.

All I know is that if Chevy hadn't made the deal and lost either Enstrom or Lowry, the Jets would be considerably weaker this season, and everyone in the organization clearly feels that now is the time to compete. After years of carping about Chevy not making short term moves to improve the team, it seems odd to expect him to weaken a team that looks like the best contender yet so that they could draft higher and maybe benefit a few years down the road. Chevy was maybe not in the mood to gamble about this team this year, despite your speculation about McPhee.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I understand the rules well. thanks. but if you look at what whileee wrote.
"enstrom waives his nmc."
"jets protect 3d 7f, leaving vegas to choose from enstrom and copp or dano".
what I think he means and if I'm wrong so be it. so either copp or dano would be the 7th f protected leaving the other one exposed. so if the jets were to protect dano lets say copp needed a contract. because they needed to expose 2 forwards under contract. it ended up beng mathias and dano. so copp wasn't under contract so he couldn't have been exposed. I know full well he was protected. and that's the only point I was trying to make. if I read it wrong . my mistake.

It's pretty straightforward. Vegas could select any eligible player that wasn't protected, and Copp was eligible to be selected, as was Dano. When Enstrom waived his NMC, he also became eligible to be selected.

By the way, the Jets had to give a "tell" about their forward preference before the draft, because they only had one forward (Matthias) signed for this season, and each team was required to expose at least two eligible forwards that were signed for the following season. By signing Dano to a one year deal, the two forwards that they were required to expose became Dano and Matthias. Vegas could have still selected Copp or Armia if they were exposed, but it was clear that without a deal that the Jets preferred to protect them over Dano.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
It's pretty straightforward. Vegas could select any eligible player that wasn't protected, and Copp was eligible to be selected, as was Dano. When Enstrom waived his NMC, he also became eligible to be selected.

By the way, the Jets had to give a "tell" about their forward preference before the draft, because they only had one forward (Matthias) signed for this season, and each team was required to expose at least two eligible forwards that were signed for the following season. By signing Dano to a one year deal, the two forwards that they were required to expose became Dano and Matthias. Vegas could have still selected Copp or Armia if they were exposed, but it was clear that without a deal that the Jets preferred to protect them over Dano.

I get it. But I'll bite how was copp eligible to get selected along with dano and enstrom when copp was 1 of the 7 forwards protected.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I get it. But I'll bite how was copp eligible to get selected along with dano and enstrom when copp was 1 of the 7 forwards protected.

See my earlier post. I wrote that the Jets would have had to expose Enstrom and Copp or Dano. So maybe they would expose Enstrom and Dano, risking losing Enstrom and going back to very weak LHD depth for this season.

My point was that by signing Dano they showed Vegas that they were prepared to lose him. Vegas was then in a better position to negotiate. They could have directly threatened to take Enstrom as part of the negotiation and blown off any deal for Dano, knowing the Jets were prepared to lose him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
See my earlier post. I wrote that the Jets would have had to expose Enstrom and Copp or Dano. So maybe they would expose Enstrom and Dano, risking losing Enstrom and going back to very weak LHD depth for this season.

My point was that by signing Dano they showed Vegas that they were prepared to lose him. Vegas was then in a better position to negotiate. They could have directly threatened to take Enstrom as part of the negotiation and blown off any deal for Dano, knowing the Jets were prepared to lose him.

Something that also gets lost in is that Thor was likely attractive for them in the sense they didn't have to waste a roster spot on him as he was a FA.

They where looking for picks More so than players so they got to move up, not waste a roster spot on a player they likely didn't rate very high.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Something that also gets lost in is that Thor was likely attractive for them in the sense they didn't have to waste a roster spot on him as he was a FA.

They where looking for picks More so than players so they got to move up, not waste a roster spot on a player they likely didn't rate very high.

Agree. One logical conclusion is that Vegas had very little interest in Dano.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Agree. One logical conclusion is that Vegas had very little interest in Dano.

Who knows, the whole thing was a disaster. Vegas picked Bellemare, Engellamd, Emelin and Griffin Reinhart in exchange for nothing. Traded Schlemko to MTL for a fifth. Florida gave up Marchesschault and the condition was that Vegas had to take Rielly Smith as well? I'd have been tempted to see if McPhee would have taken Mark Stuart just for the LOLs.

As for the Jets, it's strange the way it worked out. I personally value Dano + 24th pick > 13th pick. Lowry and Copp have nowhere near that value to me. So if Dano isn't a big part of our lineup and future, and I don't think he is, the XD will have been botched, IMO.

Last edited:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
The also protected mathias who is much better the dano. So when your figuring out the cost dont forget to add mathias to what we got. And if you ask me we paid more to keep him than dano to vegas.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
The also protected mathias who is much better the dano. So when your figuring out the cost dont forget to add mathias to what we got. And if you ask me we paid more to keep him than dano to vegas.

You think we paid something to protect a dime-a-dozen 29 year old, one year from UFA bottom 6 player?

Dano is a 22 year old RFA. When Armia was Danos age, he played in 1 career NHL game.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
You think we paid something to protect a dime-a-dozen 29 year old, one year from UFA bottom 6 player who is good for 25 points/year?

Dano is a 22 year old RFA.

Yes i do . 1 is an everyday nhl player 1 hopes to be. So he could plug in and play for vegas. Mathias will be playing everyday on our team and i dont know if dano will. Also mathias could be traded at trade deadline for a pick by vegas. He was traded to colorado for a 4th and a prospect. So he has some value. My point is we paid to keep everybody not just dano. Even chiarot a # 7 dman. Even if we get a 7th rounder for him that's something off the cost that we paid to vegas

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Who knows, the whole thing was a disaster. Vegas picked Bellemare, Engellamd, Emelin and Griffin Reinhart in exchange for nothing. Traded Schlemko to MTL for a fifth. Florida gave up Marchesschault and the condition was that Vegas had to take Rielly Smith as well? I'd have been tempted to see if McPhee would have taken Mark Stuart just for the LOLs.

As for the Jets, it's strange the way it worked out. I personally value Dano + 24th pick > 13th pick. Lowry and Copp have nowhere near that value to me. So if Dano isn't a big part of our lineup and future, and I don't think he is, the XD will have been botched, IMO.

My opinion is that Dano and Copp have similar value, and Lowry slightly higher value. But that's not entirely relevant to the XD maneuver. I tend to agree that I'm not sure I would have traded any of those + #24 for #13, all things considered. But I certainly wouldn't trade Enstrom or Lowry plus #24 for #13, considering that the Jets are poised for a serious move this year. Lowry is an accomplished defensive C on a team that needs defense, and Enstrom is an accomplished LHD on a team that has Chiarot as the likely next in line at LHD.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I wonder if this poll was done today what the numbers would be like. My guess is that you would see a lot more in the "Hate it" column than we did in June.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wonder if this poll was done today what the numbers would be like. My guess is that you would see a lot more in the "Hate it" column than we did in June.

Why?

Enstrom looks good.

Lowry, Copp and Armia look good.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Why?

Enstrom looks good.

Lowry, Copp and Armia look good.

Because it's looking like the roster that Chevy tried to keep together in June may not even play together and there is a small chance that we loose one of them on the waiver wire. And because some fantastic (dare I say elite potential) prospects were available at 13

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

I'm still pretty happy with it. Enstrom is important to have, and Dano is still a decent piece.

DK59

Nov 18, 2012

I think you also need to include Armia in the conversation when assessing the merits of the trade because he was the player Vegas was supposedly very interested in acquiring. Personally I like what Armia offers the team going forward and I think there is still more to see in the development of his game.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Because it's looking like the roster that Chevy tried to keep together in June may not even play together and there is a small chance that we loose one of them on the waiver wire. And because some fantastic (dare I say elite potential) prospects were available at 13

Enstrom, Lowry and Armia are going to be on the roster. One of those would have been lost in the expansion draft. It's pretty straightforward.

I'd pump the breaks on "elite" potential at this stage. Let's give it a couple of years and assess where the prospects stand, and how the Jets have fared in the meantime.

At some point you need to move from purely development to competing, and this is the year the Jets have chosen. I think the timing is right for that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Dano wasn't even a strong consideration for Vegas or the Jets. It was Enstrom, Lowry or Armia that Vegas was targeting, and they would have had access to one or more of them without the trade.

Even if Vegas didn't prioritize Enstrom for themselves, they knew that Chevy was highly motivated to keep him, so they had leverage on him. Chevy could have tried to call the bluff, but nobody knows how that would have turned out. It's pure speculation.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Oh do tell NHL Scout who has seen those prospects less than 10 times in their career.

DK59

Nov 18, 2012

If it was the common belief in the scouting community that these players had elite potential it is hard to imagine them still being available in the middle of the first round in a draft that was considered quite average for overall quality. I do understand that we gave up the chance to add a very good player to our prospect pool in an area of need but I think we are getting a little carried away labelling these guys as elite level prospects based on what we have seen so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad