Expansion draft prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Sounds like some pretty good names are available from what's been gathered so far.

James Neal, Jason Demers, Jonathan Marchessault, Marc Methot, etc.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
So based on some current reports, leaks etc., could it be that Vegas' 1st line will be Neal-Shipachyov-Rakell?

Whoa...

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
So based on some current reports, leaks etc., could it be that Vegas' 1st line will be Neal-Shipachyov-Rakell?

Whoa...
Yeah, it COULD be. There's no evidence of an Anaheim side deal, so fingers crossed. And with Fleury in net, the team could be above 0.500 at home, which would realy help develop the fan base.

As I've said several times: whether the team will be immediately competitive or not will depend on the blueline. I think they need to pull a trade and free agent signing to get at least two legitimate top-3 in TOI defensemen.

The team needn't be a playoff club immediately, but they have to have good odds of winning home games and still be in the playoff hunt in mid-January. THAT would be a successful start to the franchise.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
I bet Marc-Andre Fleury: Vegas Golden Knights top jersey seller is going to be a thing at least

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
The options on defense are a bit better than expected it seems. Might even get a couple of good top-six forwards under the age of 27. Not bad!

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
ANA could have a deal in place so forget about Rakell.
Next team in the alphabet is ARI, do we draft Domingue?

Depends on what the Vegas goalie plan is. I could see Vegas being interested in Burmistrov. He's 25 and an RFA. Normally players at that age are pretty much who they appear to be. However after not being happy with his age 21 utilization in Winnipeg he went back to the KHL for his age 22 and 23 seasons.

He might still have untapped NHL upside you don't commonly see in a player his age.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Lots of Flyers fans thinking/hoping that McPhee is shopping for two when it comes to goalies. Perhaps a waiver-exempt prospect (Lyon) + 2nd rounder for Mrazek?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
So the Knights apparently now have 4, 15, and 24 in the upcoming draft thanks to trades with NYI and CBJ.

I wonder if all this draft capital opens the door for Vegas to move up to 1 or 2 to get one of the stars in the draft.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
So the Knights apparently now have 4, 15, and 24 in the upcoming draft thanks to trades with NYI and CBJ.

I wonder if all this draft capital opens the door for Vegas to move up to 1 or 2 to get one of the stars in the draft.

Source for the NYI and COL trades?

All I read was NYI was willing to make a move to protect their forwards.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada

I would probably just keep 6 and 24 in this draft and try to see if I can trade 15 and a roster player to NYR for Stepan or some other team in order to get a 2C. I'm not a huge fan of the expansion centres available unless you count a 4C like Richardson or Lewis and I don't see a good FA to play behind Shipachev.

Plus obviously Shipachev hasn't shown anything in NA yet so even though I'm all about building for the future, I think it's worth investing a little bit at centre right now just to avoid any disastrous situation.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I would probably just keep 6 and 24 in this draft and try to see if I can trade 15 and a roster player to NYR for Stepan or some other team in order to get a 2C. I'm not a huge fan of the expansion centres available unless you count a 4C like Richardson or Lewis and I don't see a good FA to play behind Shipachev.

I think we are not interested in direct success. Lots of drafted players will be traded, obviously the best. No need to waste #15 plus for Stepan then. Otherwise we would not make side deals for lesser players, we would just take BPA. No need for Stepan and especially Fleury with his 5.75M then. We build for the future. The cap floor we can easily reach in July.

captain9nyr

@captain9nyr
Feb 4, 2009
Hammonton, NJ
My Mock Vegas Expansion Draft

Anaheim - Sami Vatanen (D)
Arizona - Alexander Burmistrov (F)
Boston - Malcolm Subban (G)
Buffalo - William Carrier (F)
Calgary - Alex Chiasson (F)
Carolina - Lee Stempniak (F)
Chicago - Marcus Kruger (F)
Colorado - Mikhail Grigorenko (F)
Columbus- Jack Johnson (D)
Dallas - Jamie Oleksiak (D)
Detroit - Petr Mrazek (G)
Edmonton - Griffin Reinhart (D)
Florida - Jonathan Marchessault (F)
Los Angeles - Brayden McNabb (D)
Minnesota - Matt Dumba (D)
Montreal - Alexander Radulov (F)
Nashville - James Neal (F)
New Jersey - Devante Smith-Pelly (F)
NY Islanders - Ryan Strome (F)
NY Rangers - Oscar Lindberg (F)
Ottawa - Marc Methot (D)
Philadelphia - Michael Raffl (F)
Pittsburgh - Marc-Andre Fleury (G)
San Jose - Mikkel Boedker (F)
St. Louis - David Perron (F)
Tampa Bay - Slater Koekkoek (D)
Toronto - Kerby Rychel (F)
Vancouver - Luca Sbisa (D)
Washington - Philipp Grubauer (G)
Winnipeg - Marko Dano (F)

17 forwards, 9 defense, 4 goalies.
Cap Hit - $59.4M

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I'm expecting MIN to give us something to lay off Dumba - in which case, I'd gladly take Scandella over Staal.

Possibly. But then again Dumba isn't under contract much longer and the question is whether they plan on paying him.

Chances are McPhee will get interest on Dumba, so at that point he's going to compare what the team/s offer versus what Minnesota offers to lay off him.

Is Minnesota going to want to keep him that badly? I'm not so sure. If they do it's going to be expensive.

Last edited:

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
What's the benefit for Vegas to make these side deals? I mean some of the guys I've seen mentioned that teams want to make a deal to protect seem worth more than a crapshot mid first round pick.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'm running a "Vegas auction" thread in the trade forum. The premise being what would the other teams offer to Vegas in exchange for an exposed player. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2358619

At the stage now where the first batch of bids have been sorted out. Could use some feedback from the Vegas fans on which of the competing bids you think would be most attractive to Vegas.

Note: The purpose of the thread isn't to decide whether Vegas would make the trade or not. Just assessing what the highest bids would be.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Sounds like some pretty good names are available from what's been gathered so far.

James Neal, Jason Demers, Jonathan Marchessault, Marc Methot, etc.

I think Marc Methot would be a perfect candidate to pick-and-flip for a good draft pick. His value is inflated because he plays with Karlsson, he's already 32 and his game isn't likely to get better with age since he has almost no offensive upside. I picture a scenario in which a contending team gives up some assets for him thinking he's a shutdown guy for the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad