Expansion draft prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jett Jagaar

Finally!
Nov 15, 2013
I don't know about the whole team, but i have a sinking feeling that Nail Yakupov will somehow end up on the team.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
It's still way too far away to get an accurate read on the potential players that could be available. There will be a lot of movement in the coming weeks by the other 30 teams to get ready. I'll do a full mock expansion draft once things get a little clearer.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
I think I will wait until October to do my first one. See where all of the free agents end up. Things will be much clearer at that point. A lot of the guys on the lists aren't even going to be on their present teams in a year.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I don't know about the whole team, but i have a sinking feeling that Nail Yakupov will somehow end up on the team.

You really shouldn't. Nail is a great character guy and will have a strong impact in the community, and he will be a better player when he gets away from the Oilers.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Up to 30 players to be selected. 14F, 9D, 3G. At least 20 under contract for 17-18.

Need to get scouting staff put together ASAP. Hlinka tournament is only like 6 weeks away.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
So we will have 9 top4 D and good enough goalies,
then we can trade 3 D for forwards,
that's not bad at all, playoffs in the first year.

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
Draft 30 players
Sign 3 UFAs
Have 10 extra players to trade for picks/prospects to build a farm team.
There will be a lot of players, just not a lot of "core" players.
Those will have to be acquired in other ways.
Vegas should have a good goalie and a good enough defense, right from the start.
Shame the Kings are going to play at your home Arena, twice, before your team does. :)

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Draft 30 players
Sign 3 UFAs
Have 10 extra players to trade for picks/prospects to build a farm team.
There will be a lot of players, just not a lot of "core" players.
Those will have to be acquired in other ways.
Vegas should have a good goalie and a good enough defense, right from the start.
Shame the Kings are going to play at your home Arena, twice, before your team does. :)

Well, you guys can make the playoffs and still get the 1-6th overall pick from the draft for three years in a row. That NEEDS to be your core in those three picks.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
For the Sharks, right now it looks like the best player (with age in mind) exposed will be Brenden Dillon. If you want a young D on the cusp then Mirco Mueller. Or Paul Martin as a vet.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
For the Sharks, right now it looks like the best player (with age in mind) exposed will be Brenden Dillon. If you want a young D on the cusp then Mirco Mueller. Or Paul Martin as a vet.

You guys are exposing Martin? Can we have him instead?

McStimperi

Apr 6, 2012
Finland
I played with the expansion tool, here is the result. Probably will look a whole lot different and maybe not many of these players will be taken, but at least the roster reflects the overall ability of the team.

Perron - Fisher - D. Brown
Beleskey - Eller - Frolik
Kulemin - Sheahan - Weise
Chimera - Letestu - Stafford
Purcell

Martin - Methot
Scandella - Savard
Dumoulin - Klein
Merrill

Elliott
Niemi
Markström

prospects

Namestnikov
C. Brown
Laughton
Zadorov
C. Murphy
Jordan

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
Im having a hard time with the Habs. Here's my list so far...

F
Galchenyuk
Pacioretty
Gallagher
Plekanec

D
Subban
Beaulieu
Petry

G
Price

That's it. Lots of the youngsters dont qualify yet but might next year Im not sure. I wouldnt be entirely suprised if Plekanec ends up not being protected. Well at least it gives us room for now in case one of our rookies qualifies by the draft, or UFA we sign this summer or any trades.

Perhaps Eller or Emelin could be picked by Vegas

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Need to get scouting staff put together ASAP. Hlinka tournament is only like 6 weeks away.

They've probably had that covered for a while now. I can't see people like Mellanby and Foley being that unprepared for a startup like this. They've probably had "consultants" working for them from the very beginning of their efforts.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
That expansion tool is clever! Cool thing.

Does anyone believe that the Ducks could expose one of Lindholm/Vatanen? They can protect 3 defensemen only, Bieksa must be protected, and the other I suspect it would be Fowler. The thing is that if they want both Lindholm and Vatanen to be protected, they must expose some forward like Silfverberg, if I'm not wrong. Quite interesting.

Last edited:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I played with the expansion tool, here is the result. Probably will look a whole lot different and maybe not many of these players will be taken, but at least the roster reflects the overall ability of the team.

Perron - Fisher - D. Brown
Beleskey - Eller - Frolik
Kulemin - Sheahan - Weise
Chimera - Letestu - Stafford
Purcell

Martin - Methot
Scandella - Savard
Dumoulin - Klein
Merrill

Elliott
Niemi
Markström

prospects

Namestnikov
C. Brown
Laughton
Zadorov
C. Murphy
Jordan

I wouldn't take Niemi.
Kulemin is expensive salarywise, wouldn't take him even if his contract is only for 1 year. There might be better choices from the Isles.
How can I find this tool?
Thanks

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Barring any moves, expect Colin Wilson to be in Las Vegas.

I don't think there is any way we would pass on Ellis/Ekholm. Unless you think the Preds go the 8 skater route?

That expansion tool is clever! Cool thing.

Does anyone believe that the Ducks could expose one of Lindholm/Vatanen? They can protect 3 defensemen only, Bieksa must be protected, and the other I suspect it would be Fowler. The thing is that if they want both Lindholm and Vatanen to be protected, they must expose some forward like Silfverberg, if I'm not wrong. Quite interesting.

Absolutely no chance for Lindholm or Vatanen. Bieksa will either waive his NMC or be bought out. At that point the 3rd D protection would be Fowler if he's still around and Manson if not. Best options from Anaheim will probably be Despres/Manson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad