Expansion Draft in 2017 (It's Happening!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Schlemko was our #3D last year.

He certainly wasn't deployed as such

Schlemko played bottom of the barrel competition at even strength, got 2nd unit PP time and was used minimally on the PK, he was solid in those minutes but I don't understand how anybody can declare he was used more than/shouldered more responsibility than either Braun or Martin

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He certainly wasn't deployed as such

Schlemko played bottom of the barrel competition at even strength, got 2nd unit PP time and was used minimally on the PK, he was solid in those minutes but I don't understand how anybody can declare he was used more than/shouldered more responsibility than either Braun or Martin

Good thing I didn't say he shouldered more responsibility than those two!

Braun shouldered more responsibility than Burns, does that mean he's better than Burns?

Playing tougher minutes doesn't make a player better. But besides that, I think Schlemko would make a much better partner for Vlasic than Braun.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Thornton and Marleau are safe from the expansion draft because they are free agents.

Nope. Vegas is free to pick pending UFAs if they wish. They just have no guarantees that the player will still be there on July 1 unless they sign them to a fresh contract. Vegas is also given the opportunity to talk to all pending UFAs who are exposed in the draft between today when the lists were published and when their selections are due to the league office on Tuesday, before then having a regular UFA window with any pending UFAs they take in the draft (though, to be honest, I highly doubt they'll take any unless they work out a trade that requires it of them.)

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Good thing I didn't say he shouldered more responsibility than those two!

Braun shouldered more responsibility than Burns, does that mean he's better than Burns?

Playing tougher minutes doesn't make a player better. But besides that, I think Schlemko would make a much better partner for Vlasic than Braun.

There is a difference between performing better than players higher in the depth chart in one's own smaller role than being a teams "#x D man"

Schlemko played much better than Braun this year but Braun was our #2 and Schlemko was our #6, to call him our "#3 D" is conflating his performance with his role

If Braun had #6D responsibilities and Schlemko had #2D responsibilities their performances may have been wildly different than what we saw, but with the way I've seen Schlemko struggle against skilled forwards I have a hard time imagining him thriving while playing Braun's minutes on a pair with Vlasic

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
There is a difference between performing better than players higher in the depth chart in one's own smaller role than being a teams "#x D man"

Schlemko played much better than Braun this year but Braun was our #2 and Schlemko was our #6, to call him our "#3 D" is conflating his performance with his role

If Braun had #6D responsibilities and Schlemko had #2D responsibilities their performances may have been wildly different than what we saw, but with the way I've seen Schlemko struggle against skilled forwards I have a hard time imagining him thriving while playing Braun's minutes on a pair with Vlasic

You're going to have to get specific there, because I'm remembering no such thing.

But if you're going to say that Braun was our #2D and Schlemko was our #6D... there really aren't words for how ridiculous either of those statements is.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm starting to see parallel discussion popping up between this thread and the poll thread regarding the expansion draft. There really isn't much sense in dueling, duplicate-purposed threads so I think we'll close this one down and move all expansion draft talk between now and Wednesday to the other thread

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2358517

I will also ask that some of the testier fights and sparring from here not follow over to there. People can disagree without treating it like a personal affront, attack on one's knowledge/honor, or ghastly insult to an individual standard of sense. The last couple pages here read more like a fight over who's the "most right" than a civil discussion between different-but-equal ideas and personalities. I know you're all smart. I know you're all, at heart, decent people. And I know you all share the bond of being Sharks fans. Be the best of yourselves and nothing less, because that makes this place better for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad