PGT: Exhibition • Sep. 13 • USA 3 Finland 2

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
intense thread for preseason exhibition game.

To the controversy about Laine and Risto not being played in the last two minutes first off if you don't think either of them should have got some time on the ice in the last two minutes you missed a decent game last night because you weren't watching. Lane was the hot hand as far as forwards went so yea in a real game he should have got a crack and Risto is the Fins best D man IMO so why not?

However as to "why" it didn't happen last night I think there are a few possible explanations. I would need to watch it again but as far as I can remember there wasn't a stoppage in the last 45 seconds and I don't think the puck was iced during that stretch either (I could be wrong)? That makes it pretty tough to make changes. The coach might have also chosen to ride the top unit to try to get them going for when things count. Who knows really but it wasn't because Risto or Laine were having off games or anything.

Either way Laine had his best game and looked comfortable on the small ice surface. I really enjoyed watching Risto play and the Sabres have a good one there. It will be interesting to see if they stay with the Laine-Barkov-Aho line or whether that was just an experiment?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
As a Sabres fan nice to see Risto getting positive comments, he is a nasty piece of business with tremendous offensive upside - this will be his 1st NHL season with a defense partner who is a legit top 4 type dman in Kulikov. Still only 21, will be 22 during the season, imagine him when he is 27 and has his man strength and years of experience behind him.

I like what I saw from Aho, he's going to do great for Carolina.

Risto's play really dipped late in the season last year. Most of us think he was overworked and it caught up to him. He looks back to his previous form, if not even better. If he can stay consistent through the entire season, he's a top 10 defensemen in the league, easily, maybe even better. When he's at his best, there are not many that can compete with that tool set he has. Also, for a guy that HFBoards doesn't think is a true no. 1 defensemen, it sure is interesting how multiple coaches have now leaned on him that way.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
To me it feels like Marjamäki wants to show that he is the boss of this team, and Laine won't have any priviledges and test him if he reacts like he did as a junior when he was not put on the ice in the end of the game on a 6-5... Marjamäki can be a selfish ***** sometimes.

I'm worried because Maurice on the Jets can have some of the same tendencies. Likes his vets, will stick rookies (even good ones like Ehlers last year) with complete plugs for ten games or more, and yes likes to make sure the young guys know who is boss.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
If Laine was as great as you think he is, why couldn't the coach see it? Sounds like you're leaving the Finnish Gretzky off the first PP unit.

Pretty selective posting there bud. Curious how you'd address everything except the question that was included at the end of that -- who in your mind is a better option at scoring from the left side?

Anyone making a case for keeping Laine off the ice for an entire PP when you desperately need a goal really doesn't appreciate the fact that Finland has lots of good playmakers but few good goal-scorers.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
When the games matter there's no doubt in my mind Risto is on the ice for close to 30 minutes and doesn't leave the ice in the last 3 minutes at all.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
That was a breakout game for Laine, it showed those magic, lethal hands can translate against some of the very best. That play where he broke free and hit the cross bar was a good example of quickly he can beat an nhl goaltender if given a moment. He won't be struggling much in the nhl I think. Big points totals for that guy in the future.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Probably so that Granlund can bless us with his divine slapper on the left circle.

Ah, you see it clearly. Moving him to wing will not turn him into the sniper that the Wild are looking for.

It's weird how Laine can look slow, yet can also blow by people at times. Poor acceleration, perhaps?

For most of the game,it was men against boys. The US were noticeably stronger, and simply knocking down the Finns and stealing their lunch. THEIR problem is to figger out how to do it without taking stupid penalties. It's possible...these are NHL refs, not international ones.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Ah, you see it clearly. Moving him to wing will not turn him into the sniper that the Wild are looking for.

It's weird how Laine can look slow, yet can also blow by people at times. Poor acceleration, perhaps?

For most of the game,it was men against boys. The US were noticeably stronger, and simply knocking down the Finns and stealing their lunch. THEIR problem is to figger out how to do it without taking stupid penalties. It's possible...these are NHL refs, not international ones.

Laine didn't look slow, he looked really fast at least to me. I also didn't see any signs of him having poor acceleration.

He also seems to have completely changed the way he skates when at a low speed, I can't even recognize him. It used to look really heavy and labored, now his steps seem much lighter. This is if we completely ignore how fast he actually is moving, just how it looks.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Finland keeps starting games looking like s$%% defensively. The second game against SWE was a first period meltdown just like it was against the US. As the game progresses they get much better.

In their first game against NAU23 they need to make sure their legs are moving right away, and don't let the kids score 2 quick goals in the first 10 mins. They need to play tight d, trap, whatever, just get the first goal instead of letting in 2 quick ones. If they end up trailing in the first period, its going to be tough for them to get on their game.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not many players the size of Laine look like they skate fast. I think his style of skating also creates that illusion. Not saying he is a top skater by any means but he seemed to move on the ice just fine.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
A Leaf fan trying to diminish anything positive that Laine has done? I am shocked I tell you! Shocked! :amazed:

The thought of Laine being the best player in the draft drives some Leafs fans crazy! Its actually quite funny. As a Jets fan, if Matthews ends up being the best player from the draft, that would be cool by me as we had the second pick in the draft, not the first. There will be no "look what we could have had" from any Jets fan. We are happy as a pig in s#%t that we got Laine. Regardless whether or not Matthews ends up being better. He is exactly what the Jets needed. Can't wait to see him in person at the Jets home opener.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland

No. Big guys who are fast look slow, strides are longer so legs don't criss cross as often as small guy. Mario was just like that, he looked slow as hell, awkward on the ice.
But there werent many guys outskating him.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Laine didn't look slow, he looked really fast at least to me. I also didn't see any signs of him having poor acceleration.

He also seems to have completely changed the way he skates when at a low speed, I can't even recognize him. It used to look really heavy and labored, now his steps seem much lighter. This is if we completely ignore how fast he actually is moving, just how it looks.

The question is: Is he faster in the morning or at night?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
People are upset because Finland left their best fwd and goal scorer on the bench. Yes it is a game that does not matter. But the decision is questionable, and anyone should be able to see why. It is really not that hard to figure out.

Barkov was on the bench?

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
That was a breakout game for Laine, it showed those magic, lethal hands can translate against some of the very best. That play where he broke free and hit the cross bar was a good example of quickly he can beat an nhl goaltender if given a moment. He won't be struggling much in the nhl I think. Big points totals for that guy in the future.

I was very glad to see that happen in NA rink as well and I agree that it was kind of like a breakout game. The line switch to Laine-Barkov-Aho was a real joy to watch.

I am just hoping Laine gets to play in PP1. If it has to be with Granlund & Koivu, so be it. It's not like those 2 can't pass the puck, quite the opposite :).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
No. Big guys who are fast look slow, strides are longer so legs don't criss cross as often as small guy. Mario was just like that, he looked slow as hell, awkward on the ice.
But there werent many guys outskating him.

I know the effect you are talking about (i.e. Rick Nash, formerly Frank Mahovolich), but I've seen him get caught at times by other players. It seems once he gets a head of steam up he is quite fast though. Reminds me of Charlie Coyle in that regard.

He is still very young, so it's silly to get too hung up on Laine's positives or negatives at this point. I saw some good things, and he could well be a future stud, but he doesn't look as good as, say, Mackinnon did when he was 18.

Bottom line is that Team Finland should not be relying on him to save the day. That should be the Barkov's, Koivu's, and Granlund's.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
The thought of Laine being the best player in the draft drives some Leafs fans crazy! Its actually quite funny. As a Jets fan, if Matthews ends up being the best player from the draft, that would be cool by me as we had the second pick in the draft, not the first. There will be no "look what we could have had" from any Jets fan. We are happy as a pig in s#%t that we got Laine. Regardless whether or not Matthews ends up being better. He is exactly what the Jets needed. Can't wait to see him in person at the Jets home opener.

Laine wasn't the best player in the draft.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I know the effect you are talking about (i.e. Rick Nash, formerly Frank Mahovolich), but I've seen him get caught at times by other players. It seems once he gets a head of steam up he is quite fast though. Reminds me of Charlie Coyle in that regard.

He is still very young, so it's silly to get too hung up on Laine's positives or negatives at this point. I saw some good things, and he could well be a future stud, but he doesn't look as good as, say, Mackinnon did when he was 18.

Bottom line is that Team Finland should not be relying on him to save the day. That should be the Barkov's, Koivu's, and Granlund's.

To be fair Mackinnon wasn't playing at the World Cup before ever playing an NHL season.

If he has anything close to the season Mack had I think we should be very happy with that.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
Finland keeps starting games looking like s$%% defensively. The second game against SWE was a first period meltdown just like it was against the US. As the game progresses they get much better.

In their first game against NAU23 they need to make sure their legs are moving right away, and don't let the kids score 2 quick goals in the first 10 mins. They need to play tight d, trap, whatever, just get the first goal instead of letting in 2 quick ones. If they end up trailing in the first period, its going to be tough for them to get on their game.

Agree. I was at the game and I think it's a game that will be good for both teams, because the lesson got hammered home that you have to play a full 60 minutes. Finland started slow, then showed a lot of determination in the 3rd. I was less impressed with the U.S. squad overall for sitting down in the 3rd and letting Finland take it to them. Neither team will last long in the tourney if they're going to play part-time hockey, and I think they got a good warning of that last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad