PGT: Exhibition • Sep. 13 • USA 3 Finland 2

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think that firing Marjamäki would be the only appropriate course of action after him putting Granlund on Laine's spot on the 2min 6v4 PP at the end.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Seeing Laine find his confidence feels great.
Hopefully they keep the new Barkov line together.

I'm hoping Selanne has a little talk with Marjamaki about that last few mins failure, 5 playmakers on the ice and no shooters :help:

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Great to see Laine get his first. Most importantly, he discovered his confidence again. Also nice surge in the end there, but like everyone has said, W T F Marjamäki? No Laine in that situation? Guy is already one of the best in the world in scoring clutch goals. Goddamn idiotic decision.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Great to see Laine get his first. Most importantly, he discovered his confidence again. Also nice surge in the end there, but like everyone has said, W T F Marjamäki? No Laine in that situation? Guy is already one of the best in the world in scoring clutch goals. Goddamn idiotic decision.

And no questions about this by the completely clueless reporter, the commentators barely mentioned it as well.

Hopefully the Finnish people aren't so blind and they are going to be smoking his ass regarding this decision tomorrow.

satbank

Jan 11, 2014
Laine played a great game.

Fin D gets a D. Fins lost the game because of them.

I hope to see more of Aho.

Backes/Abdelkader/Byfuglien radom hard hit and dumb penalties.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I think that firing Marjamäki would be the only appropriate course of action after him putting Granlund on Laine's spot on the 2min 6v4 PP at the end.

This. As I said earlier not letting Laine in on the last minutes when that shot was mostly needed was flat out pure stupidity. The man needs a wake up call. Hopefully some of the staff (ex-NHL players for instance) are able to provide him with some solid guidance of what to do and when to do it.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not just leaving Laine off the full PP (and Aho and Risto) but leaving the same group on for the full 2 minutes plus to end the game. That is not smart coaching.

Did Risto get on the ice in the last 30 seconds?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This. As I said earlier not letting Laine in on the last minutes when that shot was mostly needed was flat out pure stupidity. The man needs a wake up call. Hopefully some of the staff (ex-NHL players for instance) are able to provide him with some solid guidance of what to do and when to do it.

Yep. And I can definitely understand the middle finger episode with a former coach. In fact, I'd say that a big middle finger to Marjamäki would be a very sound course of action.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
If I was the coach, I'd let Laine play full 2 minutes of each PP almost. Let him have those Ovechkin type priviledges. He is easily the most lethal sniper in whole Finland, so why not. In normal 5on4 PP just swap the 4 other players. There are passing machines in each line of team Finland anyways but not guys like Laine. Then the decision not to put him on the ice 6on4 at all is weird...

If Laine was older with more NT experience the coach wouldn't have hesitated putting him on the ice. Must be age/experience issue the coach was worried about.

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
The game was not really as close as 3-2 with the Finns having a long 6-on-4 chance to tie.

A combination of the U.S. should've scored more goals earlier than it did, Rinne stopped some should've been U.S. goals, the Finns finally started to play in the 3rd, the U.S. sleptwalk the 3rd.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I just don't understand why Laine, and to a slighly less degree Risto weren't on the ice at all in the last 2 minutes. They (Risto pretty much) scored the other two goals after all.

Laine was the hot hand tonight, and Risto had just bulled his way through the US just prior to the PP so I just don't get it.

That being said Vatenen did alright on the PP but he's been a train wreck most of the time in the exhibition games

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
If I was the coach, I'd let Laine play full 2 minutes of each PP almost. Let him have those Ovechkin type priviledges. He is easily the most lethal sniper in whole Finland, so why not. In normal 5on4 PP just swap the 4 other players. There are passing machines in each line of team Finland anyways but not guys like Laine.
Ever thought about why there are two PP squads in the first place?

And a physically incomplete U20 player is a rarity in them.

:facepalm:

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
McDonagh looked awful against Laine. Got blown past at will. Not sure if it's a reflection of Laine's talent or McDonagh's poor play. Was not impressed at all by his performance at D today, played way too flat footed.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Finland looked sluggish for most of the game. The Finland D was pretty terrible for most of the game. Jokipakka and Lopisto struggled. Maatta didn't have a very good game. Ristolainen was good. He's a beast.

Laine was the most dangerous forward. Really impressed with his speed and power. Didn't look at all out of place and showed that he can create offense at this level. That shot... wow.

Still think Finland needs to find a way to get him more PP time. Goals will be hard to come by for the team in this tournament, so might as well deploy one of the best weapons a bit more.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Ever thought about why there are two PP squads in the first place?

And a physically incomplete U20 player is a rarity in them.

:facepalm:

I don't care. Ovechkin is played that way usually so why not Laine. The kid is special.

Still think Finland needs to find a way to get him more PP time. Goals will be hard to come by for the team in this tournament, so might as well deploy one of the best weapons a bit more.

Definitely. I mean if Koivu & Granlund has to be the PP1 then insert Laine in that one as well. Sure Laine may not be able to practice well in both PP units (in team practices), but I am sure he will score more than anyone who would be playing instead of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad