PGT: Exhibition • Sep. 13 • USA 3 Finland 2

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Risto has as many PP goals as Laine and 3X the points. Statistically, if anyone should have been on the ice during that PP when they were omitted, Risto should have been the first choice. Yet, people are more upset that Laine wasn't there.

Maybe Laine was being punished for being a -2 in the game? I don't know. Luckily for all Finnish and Laine fans, Saturday everyone starts at 0 again. This was a game that didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. To be this upset over Laine not playing PP in an exhibition game is a bit excessive is my point, but to each their own. If Finland was eliminated today, I would understand the anger more, but this was a game that has no impact in the tournament.

You're avoiding the question. How did the players on the ice compare to Laine in goals/ice time ratio? You claimed that having Lainr out there wouldn't improve the chances that Finland scored. Reason suggests that your stats would show that Laine had a worse goal/minute ratio than the players on the ice, no?

If that isn't true, what lends credence to your claim that having Laine out there wouldn't have improved Finland's chances to score?

Sorey*

Aug 26, 2016
lol so laine did nothing against sweden in two games and now he is wayne gretzky again? Seriously.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
It was the latest issue some have had with the coach, the issues have been piling on and at some point there's a line and today I even had to admit I'm starting to hate his coaching.

3 exhibition games into the national coaching career of arguably the most talented coach in Finland?
:help:

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
We've been watching Laine blast one timers from the circle at powerplay all last year. That's why we wanted him there. And he has best shot in our team.
Anyway it was a warm up game so I don't care. It was odd to see Granny, who is L, shooting from Laine's hotspot over and over again lol

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Finns PP1 is pretty brutal. Near 10 minutes of PP time again in this game and they got nothing to show for it. Pretty hard to win like that especially when you are already an underdog in the games against US and Canada.

It turned into an pretty exciting game after it seemed to be over after 40 minutes.

gobbluth

Jan 31, 2015
I think Laine is the mix of top10 forwards and top10 defensmen in history. Just incredible. How can someone dominate like that. At this rate we are gonna see a season with someone scoring almost 200 points in 82 games. He is and will be better than gretzky. Look at that slapper! The game should be "pass to laine". That is the only strategy team finland should use. Make him play 40min a game. He can handle it.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
I think Laine is the mix of top10 forwards and top10 defensmen in history. Just incredible. How can someone dominate like that. At this rate we are gonna see a season with someone scoring almost 200 points in 82 games. He is and will be better than gretzky. Look at that slapper! The game should be "pass to laine". That is the only strategy team finland should use. Make him play 40min a game. He can handle it.[/QUOTE

Great comment. Everyone can clearly see your keen take on hockey and your realistic understanding of time and motion in sports. I am pretty sure that you will soon be scooped up by one of the NHL clubs as a talent adviser.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Finland is in for some trouble. Didn't look like a 3-2 game.

Was nice to see Laine step up ok the 2nd and 3rd after a weak 1st. I'm thinking he'll be strong for the rest of the games.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Risto has as many PP goals as Laine and 3X the points. Statistically, if anyone should have been on the ice during that PP when they were omitted, Risto should have been the first choice. Yet, people are more upset that Laine wasn't there.

Maybe Laine was being punished for being a -2 in the game? I don't know. Luckily for all Finnish and Laine fans, Saturday everyone starts at 0 again. This was a game that didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. To be this upset over Laine not playing PP in an exhibition game is a bit excessive is my point, but to each their own. If Finland was eliminated today, I would understand the anger more, but this was a game that has no impact in the tournament.

People are upset because Finland left their best fwd and goal scorer on the bench. Yes it is a game that does not matter. But the decision is questionable, and anyone should be able to see why. It is really not that hard to figure out.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Leaving Ristolainen off the 6 on 4 unit and replacing him with Vatanen was the most baffling decision. Not having Laine there was a bit questionable as well considering the game he was having, but he won't be among the go-to guys heading into the tourney and it seemed Marjamäki wanted to use the opportunity to ice the best possible unit. And Ristolainen absolutely should have been in that unit. He can shoot and runs a PP much better than any other defenceman.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
As a Sabres fan nice to see Risto getting positive comments, he is a nasty piece of business with tremendous offensive upside - this will be his 1st NHL season with a defense partner who is a legit top 4 type dman in Kulikov. Still only 21, will be 22 during the season, imagine him when he is 27 and has his man strength and years of experience behind him.

I like what I saw from Aho, he's going to do great for Carolina.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Our D is brutal. Team defense is going to have to improve a lot if we want to win some games in this tournament. Our defenders need all the help they can be offered.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Laine had a terrific game. Was easily the most dangerous player on the ice for the Finns. It was odd to not get him on the ice at all in the final 2.5 minutes. Also thought Risto and Aho had earned some ice time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad