Evgeny Kuznetsov: Part 3

aquablue

May 4, 2010
I think we should be playing Kuz at center not wing. We need a 1 -2 punch down the middle. Grabovsky is not a highly skilled center and is not worth keeping. With the money we save on Grabovsky and by trading some assets, we should have enough cap room for a UFA scoring winger to play alongside him. Agree or disagree?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
At this point I just hope the kid's exciting to watch. He isn't going to make them into contenders, they need a real D infusion to do that, but hopefully he can do something to make them a bit more watchable. Plus he'll give me someone to root for other than 8, 19 and 52 (yes, I still like seeing 52 score).

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I think we should be playing Kuz at center not wing. We need a 1 -2 punch down the middle. Grabovsky is not a highly skilled center and is not worth keeping. With the money we save on Grabovsky and by trading some assets, we should have enough cap room for a UFA scoring winger to play alongside him. Agree or disagree?

Agree. I'd much rather keep paying 4.5m for Laich than ~5m for Grabovsky. Clearly, Grabovsky is not cutting it... I think he's slipped to 2nd on the team in ES points and ES points/60. First in Corsi among forwards, but screw those New Age stats. It makes sense to let him go to make room under the cap -- wouldn't make sense to obtain it by losing key cogs like Neuvirth, Erskine, Brouwer -- and especially Erat, because if I understand correctly the law of large averages, he's due to score a boatload of goals next season (it all evens out with time), once the floodgates burst open.

aquablue

May 4, 2010
Agree. I'd much rather keep paying 4.5m for Laich than ~5m for Grabovsky. Clearly, Grabovsky is not cutting it... I think he's slipped to 2nd on the team in ES points and ES points/60. First in Corsi among forwards, but screw those New Age stats. It makes sense to let him go to make room under the cap -- wouldn't make sense to obtain it by losing key cogs like Neuvirth, Erskine, Brouwer -- and especially Erat, because if I understand correctly the law of large averages, he's due to score a boatload of goals next season (it all evens out with time), once the floodgates burst open.

Yeah, i think Kuz is a great center from what I've seen, better than wing. When he plays 2C, grabovski becomes expendable anyway. We can't waste him on the 3rd line.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Yeah, i think Kuz is a great center from what I've seen, better than wing. When he plays 2C, grabovski becomes expendable anyway. We can't waste him on the 3rd line.

knee-slapper-o.gif

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I'd say Semin (and potentially Kuznetsov) is more skilled than Ovechkin, but not more talented when you take into consideration mental, physical, and technical ability.

I'd say mental aspect is a skill of a grown professional..

I guess OV has mental toughness and great physicality from his very young years via parents. They were pros in the end.

I do recognize talent as a different thing than mental+physical+technical. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway players should not be estimated by talent alone ofc.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'd say mental aspect is a skill of a grown professional..

I guess OV has mental toughness and great physicality from his very young years via parents. They were pros in the end.

I do recognize talent as a different thing than mental+physical+technical. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway players should not be estimated by talent alone ofc.

'Hockey sense', as nebulous as that term is, cannot be learned. It's undoubtedly a natural ability.

Burakovsky95*

How on earth did you not pick up on his sarcasm...

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Kuz, I don't know. Haven't seen him enough. Semin, absolutely.

I think overall Semin had better hockey sense. Ovi is obviously better (the best) at finding scoring opportunities and generally made decisions quicker, but overall Semin's positioning and passing was better.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Semin has excellent hockey sense. He makes some stupid decisions, but not because he lacks the sense to know otherwise.

I think overall Semin had better hockey sense. Ovi is obviously better (the best) at finding scoring opportunities and generally made decisions quicker, but overall Semin's positioning and passing was better.

Ovie anticipates what defenses are going to do much better than Semin, hence his ability to find soft spots that Semin didn't come close to. Semin had more of a "I'm going to stickhandle around you or shoot the puck through you" approach.

One the passing front, I think the assist numbers speak for themselves. Ovie has 6 40+ assist seasons. Semin has 2.

Again, I'd say Semin has overall better stick and puck skills than Ovie. Ovie's got the advantage in every other category.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hey guys, so is he coming over right after the Olympics? or not until the start of next season?

I have always loved the kid, and am ecstatic to see him play over here

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Hey guys, so is he coming over right after the Olympics? or not until the start of next season?

I have always loved the kid, and am ecstatic to see him play over here

Not right after the Olympics. His team (Traktor) still holds the final playoff spot in the KHL so if they make the playoffs i don't think he'll come over this season.

If they miss the playoffs though, at earliest i think he could come in a month or so. Assuming his KHL team doesn't have problems with that.

SashaSemin28

My Krasnaya Mashina
Mar 11, 2013
Darwen, England.
Not right after the Olympics. His team (Traktor) still holds the final playoff spot in the KHL so if they make the playoffs i don't think he'll come over this season.

If they miss the playoffs though, at earliest i think he could come in a month or so. Assuming his KHL team doesn't have problems with that.

I don't think Traktor would mind Kuzya not playing in the Cup of Hope.

n3ss

Nov 29, 2011
I haven't followed this thread at all. Is Kuz still planning on coming after the olympic break?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad