Every Time Danny Cleary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Nyquist is a better man than I. If I were in his shoes I'd have demanded a trade.

Playing time is one thing, but salary is another, especially when a lot of prospects dont come from wealth backgrounds. Look at Brendan Smith, any other team and he'd have 2 full seasons a few more mil in the bank and one year closer to a bigger payday. In the back of his mind Nyquist has to be thinking "What if I get injured today and don't have much to fall back on financially".

I don't know, it's easy to say that you'd demand a trade in his situation, but look at the hockey culture that he's been a part of for years. It's basically a "keep your head down, don't whine or complain, put in your hard work, and it hopefully works out for you" culture. That doesn't lend itself to a guy making waves and openly admitting he doesn't like the direction his career is taking in his current organization.

Part of me likes that hockey players seem, outwardly at least, a little more humble and down to earth than most pro athletes from other sports, and I'm positive that largely comes from the "don't bring attention to yourself" culture of the sport. But then I often can't stand how vanilla players and coaches are with the media, showing zero personality, and people wonder why it's still a niche sport. Crosby is the biggest star in the league by a wide margin and you'd think he's dead from the neck up to hear him in interviews... and it's not just him, it's most guys. Pavel is the rare exception who seems to be himself all the time, and I love that about him.

I wish players were able, or more willing, to show more personality on the ice and off it. But the crushingly conservative culture keeps them in check for the most part, and I'm sure it influences them to generally avoid things like demanding or probably even requesting trades.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
They have yet to respond. I feel like Andy Dufrane in The Shawshank Redemption when he writes letters to the state asking for state funding for a library. I will eventually get a response.

If I remember correctly, Andy mentions that he should have written 2 letters a week to speed up the process after he finally does get a response. Take his advice!

RedWingsNow*

I think fans are way more impatient than the players. They actually have inside knowledge of what's going on and what's being said. Demanding trades at his stage of his career puts a bad taste in the mouth of management everywhere. Players need to bide their time and focus on playing as best as they can where ever they are.

Few fans believe anyone should demand a trade.

On the other hand, believing players are patient is unrealistic.

When you're playing well in the AHL for 10 percent of your contract, and you could be making 10 times that in the NHL... and you get stuck in the AHL for 2 years longer than you deserve to be... I gotta believe the player has much more reason to be impatient.

Hockey players have a short shelf life. That $1.6M you lose playing in the AHL might be the only $1.6M might have been the only money you ever were going to make if blow out your knee or get your bell rung to often.

You think Brendan Smith didn't see his peers lighting it up in the NHL two years ago?

Heinz84

Aug 4, 2012
Germany / London(UK)
Things are obviously not going well for Cleary at the moment. So why the heck does he get so much ice time and gets to play with Datsyuk and Zetterberg all the time?

He didnt get that much ice time when he was 20 goal scorer and propably one of our best players years ago. But now he is playing in every situation. He skates hard all the time, but is always this tick of a second late when it comes to scoring chances.

Im not a fan of shouting "Tade him!", as soon as a player is on a long lasting tough streak. He will eventually be a valuable player, especially comes playoff time. But right now his play is costing us valuable points. So put him on an energy line with Emmerton and Tootoo or Andersson and Eaves and let Tatar play with Datsyuk or Zetterberg. Its evidently pointless to try forcing something out of Cleary. Let him skate hard on one of the bottom lines and get his act togeather there.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Things are obviously not going well for Cleary at the moment. So why the heck does he get so much ice time and gets to play with Datsyuk and Zetterberg all the time?

He didnt get that much ice time when he was 20 goal scorer and propably one of our best players years ago. But now he is playing in every situation. He skates hard all the time, but is always this tick of a second late when it comes to scoring chances.

Im not a fan of shouting "Tade him!", as soon as a player is on a long lasting tough streak. He will eventually be a valuable player, especially comes playoff time. But right now his play is costing us valuable points. So put him on an energy line with Emmerton and Tootoo or Andersson and Eaves and let Tatar play with Datsyuk or Zetterberg. Its evidently pointless to try forcing something out of Cleary. Let him skate hard on one of the bottom lines and get his act togeather there.

Why? Why will he eventually be a valuable player again?

There comes a point when a player literally will not ever be valuable again.

Dan Cleary isn't in his mid 20s and he isn't a career superstar. Hes an aging, supplemental player who has played a grinding style of hockey for the past 8 years. This isn't a fluke or a cold streak or a case of being snake-bitten - this is the declining career of a player with ever-depreciating value.

Dan Cleary is the new Kirk Maltby.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Every time Danny Cleary touches the puck I know were not going to score this time down the ice.

RedWingsNow*

Even when Maltby was old, he was still a decent checking liner and PK guy. And he never made $2,8M... and like someone else said, he never got bumped up to play with Z and Datsyuk

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Over the last few games I have come to the optimistic/ hopeful conclusion that Tatar is being groomed to replace Cleary in his role after this season. Above average 3rd liner who can (and will, quite often) play in the top 6 (1st or 2nd line depending on chemistry/ fit). Then in another year or two when Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, etc. are gone, he will be a regular in the top 6. This is my hope.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Over the last few games I have come to the optimistic/ hopeful conclusion that Tatar is being groomed to replace Cleary in his role after this season. Above average 3rd liner who can (and will, quite often) play in the top 6 (1st or 2nd line depending on chemistry/ fit). Then in another year or two when Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, etc. are gone, he will be a regular in the top 6. This is my hope.

That's a very reasonable prediction, and is quite likely the scenario that will play out.

Tatar has been with the Griffins for 4 years; he's paid his dues, and even without him having said anything to the media, he was going to be called up this year and likely given a full-time roster spot next year. He's a more aggressive version of HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED, and Babcock will reward him handsomely by playing his game.

As an aside, did anyone see Tatar on the bench after he scored his goal (I think that's when it was)? Babcock stood behind him and gave him a mighty "attaboy" whack on the shoulder. I'm pretty sure Tats has a bright future with the Babcock-led Wings.

How are we gonna land big free agents if we don't have veteran leadership like Dan Cle...

...I can't even finish that joke.

picture.php

Continue the joke.

Last edited:

Detroit Swed Wings

#FireHolland
Jan 17, 2013
Malmö
It hurts every time Cleary gets the puck. It's so obvious each time what he's going to do. Last couple of games there has been at least two 2on1s with Cleary carrying the puck. Not even a shot on goal in those rushes. He's completely useless and it's mind blowing that he's even in the top 6. Does he have routine - yes, does he have will - yes, but that's about it. He's a liability to the team and DANGEROUS to have out there.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
That's a very reasonable prediction, and is quite likely the scenario that will play out.

Tatar has been with the Griffins for 4 years; he's paid his dues, and even without him having said anything to the media, he was going to be called up this year and likely given a full-time roster spot next year. He's a more aggressive version of HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED, and Babcock will reward him handsomely by playing his game.

As an aside, did anyone see Tatar on the bench after he scored his goal (I think that's when it was)? Babcock stood behind him and gave him a mighty "attaboy" whack on the shoulder. I'm pretty sure Tats has a bright future with the Babcock-led Wings.

Tatar's playing well enough right now that he should be the first guy promoted to the top 6 in case of injury... I don't think demoting him should even be on Kenny's radar anymore. Plenty of redundant bottom 6 guys he could peddle to contenders seeking "veteran moxie" for picks or lower prospects.

picture.php

Continue the joke.

Gotta love the Saints :nod:

Datsyuk's inner monologue on his wingers for the last few years: "I got to tiptoe through the tulips with these ********. Taking all the fun out of the job."

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
member.php
words can not express the frustration I have seeing cleary on the ice on a pp. He single handly kills most of the 4 min pp the wings had. :shakehead

Last edited:

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I thought I saw Tatar out on the second line instead of Cleary.

Turns out it was just an uneven line change.

Boohoo./

Cleary has clearly gotten to your head, your hallucinating things that are not there.:laugh:

Can't we go with

Dats Z Brunner
Tatar Flip Sammy

How can that be any worse. Am i missing something? Babs are you listening?

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Cleary has clearly gotten to your head, your hallucinating things that are not there.:laugh:

Can't we go with

Dats Z Brunner
Tatar Flip Sammy

How can that be any worse. Am i missing something? Babs are you listening?

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Brunner
Tatar-Filppula-Nyquist

or

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Brunner
Filppula-Datsyuk-Tatar

or

... well, you get the picture.

Call Nyquist back up and let the top-6 rotate through those guys if necessary, but Cleary and Samuelsson need to be as far away from the top-6 as possible

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Dan Cleary
Mind says GO!
Body says NO!

And that is my summation of Danny Boy!

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
How much worse does Cleary need to play before Babcock realizes he is worthless and benches him?

If he hasn't realized by now, then there's no hope. It's not like it's been a couple games now. It's been all of this season on top of last season.

It boggles my mind that a "top 5 coach" can continue to dick around like this when points are so valuable. There is no excuse. I don't want to hear it. It's simply a bad decision that isn't giving your team the best opportunity to win games.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
if they send him down I hope they dont send him to Toledo, we are winning here. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad