Player Discussion Evander Kane

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Kanes game has deteriorated since his injury. I hope his issues are not as a result of that and this is just a slow start.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Guy's a warrior. I won't rush to judgement five games in as he went through a life threatening injury followed by broken ribs through a Twilight Zone regular season along with an apparent broken finger in the winning season. Definitely want to see his work rate increase and his shot volume along with a bit more consistent physical game.

This is a big stretch for Kane to grind out more minutes including first unit PP time. Will see how he responds to this team's need.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
He still had 11 goals in 27 games coming back from the injury last year. The entire top 6 sucked in the playoffs last year again McDavid included.
This for sure. Knows he is lucky to be still playing the game after a nasty injury (may not have good feel in the hand either).

Showing aggression may be what the doctor ordered.

Kane will be fine.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, given the horrific nature of the injury. But yes, it's incredibly concerning. His puck handling, ability to give and receive passes, have degraded. He plays a style that exacts a heavy toll on the body and those types tend to fade out, with a precipitous drop in value the longer in the tooth they get. Further to that, when he's not happy it manifests itself as problems within the room. This is something which is well known around the league, so you can't even find a taker. Lots of red flags on this one.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Kanes game has deteriorated since his injury. I hope his issues are not as a result of that and this is just a slow start.
Yes his game has deteriorated and I agree with you about it hopefully being a slow start.

The 'snipe' in preseason that was so seductive for many fans was a deflected shot.
It wasnt a snipe at all.
Kane has done absolutely nothing offensively since the season started.

Reactions: Aerchon

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Think some patience with him is required. Hes coming off terrible injuries.

But cant really beat around the bush too much. He hasnt played well this year. And he really wasnt playing well last year before the injury.

I think its reasonable to be concerned with his play. Hopefully it picks up.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
His lack of speed is what has me worried the most TBH. That said at east he threw a big hit and got into a fight last night. Hopefully it's the start of him righting the ship.
I think this flak on social media has probably woken him up a bit and I predict he will be better in the next few games.

Reactions: Vagabond

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
One thing I notice with Kane is he's a far better fit with Drai than McDavid.

When he's with Connor, he's near always less engaged offensively. Imo because with Connor it's easy to get it into your head, "Get the puck to him, he's the most dangerous guy with it. You're just going to catch heat by holding the puck longer, trying (and failing) to create as much as him." He essentially becomes a glorified Maroon. Not the worst thing, but it becomes a problem when your hands/shot aren't all there, and those normally automatic plays/goals aren't automatic anymore.

Drai doesn't quite command the puck in the same way. So I find when Kane's with him, he's more willing to take charge and attack himself. Even if his hands are still rusty af, he's at least creating.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
While his hands still seem a bit rusty (great shoot for the ENG though), he’s looking more and more like the Kane the Oilers need. His physical presence and overall ability as a power forward is a key ingredient to the team’s success

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
While his hands still seem a bit rusty (great shoot for the ENG though), he’s looking more and more like the Kane the Oilers need. His physical presence and overall ability as a power forward is a key ingredient to the team’s success
He's dragging us into the fight. Sadly he doesn't have a 2nd in command like he did last year with Kostin. We badly need an upgrade on Erne.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
He's dragging us into the fight. Sadly he doesn't have a 2nd in command like he did last year with Kostin. We badly need an upgrade on Erne.

I wouldn’t mind seeing if Lavoie can fill that role a bit. Seems like he can be a bit physical and a guy like Kane would be a good mentor. Plus they need someone that is a threat to score in the bottom 6 like Kostin was (here and there).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I wouldn’t mind seeing if Lavoie can fill that role a bit. Seems like he can be a bit physical and a guy like Kane would be a good mentor. Plus they need someone that is a threat to score in the bottom 6 like Kostin was (here and there).
I don't think that playing rough and tumble hockey is in his nature and that he probably just does it due to his sheer size. That said he can also score goals which is kinda important!

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3