Player Discussion Evander Kane

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
He's dragging us into the fight. Sadly he doesn't have a 2nd in command like he did last year with Kostin. We badly need an upgrade on Erne.
I think your Kostin love is a little bit misplaced but man are you right on Erne. The guy should not be on the ice for a team that fancies itself a contender.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
He's dragging us into the fight. Sadly he doesn't have a 2nd in command like he did last year with Kostin. We badly need an upgrade on Erne.

I wouldn’t mind seeing if Lavoie can fill that role a bit. Seems like he can be a bit physical and a guy like Kane would be a good mentor. Plus they need someone that is a threat to score in the bottom 6 like Kostin was (here and there).

Not to take us off topic... but Kostin has zero points and only 3 SOG in 6 games so far... he's certainly not living up to his contract so far. (though you could say the same for McLeod, who one could argue is who we prioritized instead of Kostin)

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The one thing thats nice with him is that even if his hands fall off (bad pun :/) and hes not producing offensively as much as he once was, hes still effective in other areas. He hits, fights, pulls guys into the game, etc. He also seems like he lightens up the mood in the dressing room which is probably important on this team (who seem to have more serious/intense leaders). Its not like his contract is super crippling either.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Not sure that is possible to be honest. When he is disciplined, he is usually passive.

I think you gotta live with some penalties here and there to get the best version of him.
If our PK was better, maybe.

But it's not. You can be aggressive without being dumb.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
"None of you are going to do anything" complete emasculation of the flames. thats alpha mentality

He's pretty good at that, Lucic was strutting and clucking like a chicken in game 1 of the Oilers-Flames series whooping it up and Kane telling him they want him to have more ice time and Lucic standing there dumbfounded with nothing to say back stole his soul, lol.

Same thing with Tkachuk yapping like a dummy in game 1, he had nothing to say after that one game.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
I've probably liked his game more than anyone of our players this yeat. At least he has seemed engaged and involved the last 5 or 6 games.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Loved Kane being miced so we could him challenge the Flames with (paraphrasing): “What are you going to do about it? What’s anybody going to do about it?” He had no takers.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Kane literally brought everything that you'd expect out of Evander Kane this week. Hitting, Fighting, Scoring, Chirping, Media Whoring, Intimidating. It's all there and I'm happy to see it.

I never really bought the narrative that his wrist was still injured. We saw him snipe and score a hatrick within a month after coming back from injury and have seen plenty of snipes since. I think his 1st year here he was quite lucky, probably running on a PDO heater, it seemed like every little touch he made turned into points. Any performance differences from that year to now is probably just him normalizing to what he is. Which is still a very good winger in this League.

Reactions: K1984

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Kane literally brought everything that you'd expect out of Evander Kane this week. Hitting, Fighting, Scoring, Chirping, Media Whoring, Intimidating. It's all there and I'm happy to see it.

I never really bought the narrative that his wrist was still injured. We saw him snipe and score a hatrick within a month after coming back from injury and have seen plenty of snipes since. I think his 1st year here he was quite lucky, probably running on a PDO heater, it seemed like every little touch he made turned into points. Any performance differences from that year to now is probably just him normalizing to what he is. Which is still a very good winger in this League.

Everything that people are ragging on him for (puck handling, passing, defensive play, turnovers) were still present even in 2022. Difference was everything he touched turned to gold, like you said. All it takes is a little bit of a scoring slump to turn the focus to all the things he doesn't do as well even though those things were always pretty much there.

He looks like he's back in his element now, would not be surprised at all to start seeing the puck go in off his stick in bunches.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Everything that people are ragging on him for (puck handling, passing, defensive play, turnovers) were still present even in 2022. Difference was everything he touched turned to gold, like you said. All it takes is a little bit of a scoring slump to turn the focus to all the things he doesn't do as well even though those things were always pretty much there.

He looks like he's back in his element now, would not be surprised at all to start seeing the puck go in off his stick in bunches.

Agree. Even his apparent lack of awareness that has him trucking McDavid was there in year 1 and is still here now. He is what he is, good and bad, but when his game is on he can be that element to this team that we all saw as a perfect fit for this group.

Mack a doodle doo

Apr 16, 2016
Not to take us off topic... but Kostin has zero points and only 3 SOG in 6 games so far... he's certainly not living up to his contract so far. (though you could say the same for McLeod, who one could argue is who we prioritized instead of Kostin)
He’s just not the type of player that Detroit ABSOLUTELY needed. He was however that type of player for us though, WE Do need guys like Kostin more than teams like Detroit do, The guy was a perfect fit on our roster for what we’re lacking(Also conducted himself like an absolute beauty while he was here in addition to playing balls to the wall every game)

Last edited:
Reactions: bucks_oil

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
One of my favourite Oilers to join in recent years - was never concerned about him

25-30 goals, 55-60 points and fists to faces is good value

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad