Player Discussion Evander Kane

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Great game by Kane exactly the type of player we need , if we make the playoffs.

Easier said than done, but we could use a few more in our forward group

I am hoping Hollway keeps pace in the AHL and gets a call up. Kane and Holloway putting dmen through the boards on the forecheck is going to be masterclass.

Reactions: yakcity1064

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
I am hoping Hollway keeps pace in the AHL and gets a call up. Kane and Holloway putting dmen through the boards on the forecheck is going to be masterclass.

yes it would be huge if Holloway can give us 60% of what Kane brings. Too bad Pulju and Foegele don’t have that in their game

Reactions: walktheboulavard

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Well, a rare "well done" to Edmonton's management for taking the very marginal risk I wanted the Pens to take. With his contract and cap-hit, if anything blows up it is manageable to just waive him and pay the overage with insignificant cap-consequences. So the real risk is purely reputational/perceived.

Kane - on the ice - is a hell of player and always was. One can debate at what cap-hit you want the headache of his repetitively frustrating behavior, but at THIS hit and a one-year deal... it is bound to be just about the most effective non ELC contract in the league.
Exactly the type of player we needed to add some speed/size/talent/jam to our top 6, never mind if it had been for Sid's or Geno's line. Ah well, at least he is out West.

Thanks for taking 2 against the Caps, I guess :).

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Non Oilers fan here but I liked Kane's reaction on Hathaways hit. He was ready to go. You like to see that from a new player on the team.

Kane is a lot of things, but he'll fight anyone in the league. Not a massive guy, but he's fought a lot of heavyweights over the years that he didn't have to fight and it's very rare that he doesn't hold his own.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Kane has been immediately effective after barely playing hockey over the last number of months. When he gets full into swing and really starts to assert himself physically, he'll be dominant for stretches. I feel like people in Alberta have no excuse not to have known how big an addition he was after seeing him so frequently over the last number of years (or even back in the WHL). Elite power forward.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Kane is a lot of things, but he'll fight anyone in the league. Not a massive guy, but he's fought a lot of heavyweights over the years that he didn't have to fight and it's very rare that he doesn't hold his own.
He is named Evander for a reason, after all.

Sharks fan here who thinks fans and management alike were utterly idiotic to chase Kane out of town. I am so interested to see how he works with McDavid, he's done well with other decent but not spectacular centers. I haven't seen much of his speed in any game he's played this season just yet but he is blazingly fast and I imagine that will only benefit his game alongside McDavid.

Kane's playmaking is also underrated, he has great vision and will pull off amazing passes regularly.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He is named Evander for a reason, after all.

Sharks fan here who thinks fans and management alike were utterly idiotic to chase Kane out of town. I am so interested to see how he works with McDavid, he's done well with other decent but not spectacular centers. I haven't seen much of his speed in any game he's played this season just yet but he is blazingly fast and I imagine that will only benefit his game alongside McDavid.

Kane's playmaking is also underrated, he has great vision and will pull off amazing passes regularly.

Connor is not playing like himself right now so expectations should be a bit in check IMO. That said, they look like they are starting to gel.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Lots of hockey left before any of that gets sorted out. Put me onboard with re-signing him though. Hopefully he signs a reasonable contract and isn't just chasing after the highest bidder.

If he fits into our room he definitely should be brought back.

Reactions: oilers'72

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Zero chance we can afford him. Unless Holland gets very creative and we go without a goalie for another year
not that i agree with this but i can totally see Holland going into next season with a Smith/Skinner duo aka 2.950 million total towards goaltending

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Have there been any early rumours of whether he will re-sign?

Nothing yet, but he seems really happy, often speaking highly of both McDavid and Draisaitl. Not surprising though as that was driving force behind his decision to come here in the first place.

Hope he re-signs though, he's the first bonafide top line winger we've had since Taylor Hall.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Zero chance he re-signs here.

He needs money to pay off debt. Massive debt. We have no cap space due to bone headed acquisitions like Keith and Barrie.

I'm not sure if we will be able to re-sign Puljujarvi even.

Holland is a piss poor GM.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Zero chance he re-signs here.

He needs money to pay off debt. Massive debt. We have no cap space due to bone headed acquisitions like Keith and Barrie.

I'm not sure if we will be able to re-sign Puljujarvi even.

Holland is a piss poor GM.
I agree there were bad decisions by Holland like the Kassian deal and the ones you mention

However keeping Kane was never a real option. This offseason was all about keeping Puljujarvi and/or Yamamoto and hopefully finding a goalie. Like you say, that is in jeopardy too but that's what the fight is. Kane is one and done.

Reactions: Aerchon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad