Player Discussion Evander Kane

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He is a solid addition. Looked fine. Similar to guys like Hyman. He's real solid and makes our team a lot better. Running three scoring lines since as far back as I can remember.

Holloway looks incredible in the AHL. Him coming up and sliding Foegele down to the third or even fourth line would fix everything.
Even the goaltending and defence?;):D

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
He's had a lot of time fix both... a lot. So I'm skeptical. I think he's doing a terrible job as our GM. Eg. next year - Keith, Barrie and Nurse make 20 million. That's not good. Smith is back ... that's not good. 1000 days of Mikko and Smith .. that's not good. Need to pay JP... that is a good problem to have but no cap space. There is even a post showing how many goalies have moved in that time. As far as I know, we have the longest serving tandem in the NHL and it's not a very good tandem. Old, oft injured and inconsistent.

So I 'hope' Holland does something and Ill cheer when he does. Skeptical. Keeping Tipp is another questionable move. I think we'll have a real clear picture after the mid February stretch - right now we are running Koskinen/Stalock into a very heavy schedule with a lot of good teams coming up. Hope we run streak to 5 and 0 after Ottawa on Monday! February is a very hard schedule. I'm not expecting many 7-2 or 5-0 wins coming up... I'm also not expecting to be playing many 3rd and 4th string goalies like we just did against Habs and Nucks. 4 games after Ottawa could very well be Lehner, Vanecek/Samsonov, Shestorkin and Fleury. We'll see but the time to address needs is now not March IMO.

Meant he can still fix it as in the addition of Kane shouldn't be the reason he can't acquire a D or G. Didn't say I was confident he will do it.

Reactions: Czechboy

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I think the natural fit for Evander is with Draisaitl feeding him the puck at will but Kane with McDavid is going to create loads of room for our captain and also has that physical edge in a player you want playing with Connor.

You can't miss with either pairing and we have a load of complimentary wingers to even out the lines with another big body in Holloway who seems destined to get his shot in a dozen games or so.

I pity the fool that don't like Evander Kane.
d2825zn-3d96755e-52fa-4343-9ed0-3a0cfdde850f.jpg

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
The disparity in speed and skill would be off the charts. I don't think Benson could play with McD for a moment. But would be funny to see him trying to keep up. That would be like putting a cooler with McD. This is a player with one career NHL point, why would we put him with McD?

McLeod is the guy that will gradually get more looks in there that can skate with McD and that offers the unique ability to have two guys on the line that can both gain offensive zone with ease. That would be huge going forward. McD needs to be working more of a possession game instead of forcing plays too much. Start to work the opponent D to the bone like Drai tends to do. Make clubs play in own zone more. McLeod is a great young possession player that loves the puck. Something like McD, Kane, McLeod could work.

Benson is somebody thats supposed to be a skill player that isn't even comfortable with the puck at this level. Supposed to be his bread and butter and he shits his pants with the puck several years in. Its never happening here for Benson. The NHL game slows down for players that look like they will make it. Benson is hardly any different here now than he was years ago. I mean he's not even good enough to even crack a lineup let alone a topsix.

A harsh comment, considering one of your favourite players to line up with McDavid and have success was Maroon. A player whose skating is comparable to an oil tanker on skates. Patrick (and Neal, when healthy) showed that even an average level of skating isn't a prerequisite to succeed with McDavid: Smarts go a lot a further.

This isn't to say Benson would have success, but just highlight that footspeed isn't a requirement to play with McDavid. AA also proves the opposite end of this spectrum (speed with McDavid = $$) isn't true.

McLeod with McDavid sounds a lot like a worse version of Nuge with McDavid; Not bad, but you're adding a player, who's main talent is transporting the puck from a to b, to the player who needs the least help in the league doing that.

Plus I don't see McLeod having the vision, shot, or creativity to generate chances from the room that McDavid gives him, he'd just defer back to Connor. He's also not strong along the boards, easily getting out-leveraged; which if you have McDavid controlling the open ice, you better be good at. Just always being the high guy back, allowing McDavid to attack more isn't enough.

This isn't a shot at McLeod, but it's just not his game, even dating back to juniors. Even last year in the AHL, a big part of his success was being the guy that legged the puck up the ice with insane efficiency, drawing defenders to him before deferring to a wide open Marody or Benson in the offensive zone (players that needed that help getting the puck from a to b).

I like really like McLeod, but playing with McDavid isn't the role for him. McLeod's value is the ability to control open ice, and move the puck forward, getting it to open teammates. He's a Todd Marchant 2.0, or a more contemporary comparison: a forward version of Nurse with the puck.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
A harsh comment, considering one of your favourite players to line up with McDavid and have success was Maroon. A player whose skating is comparable to an oil tanker on skates. Patrick (and Neal, when healthy) showed that even an average level of skating isn't a prerequisite to succeed with McDavid: Smarts go a lot a further.

This isn't to say Benson would have success, but just highlight that footspeed isn't a requirement to play with McDavid. AA also proves the opposite end of this spectrum (speed with McDavid = $$) isn't true.

McLeod with McDavid sounds a lot like a worse version of Nuge with McDavid; Not bad, but you're adding a player, who's main talent is transporting the puck from a to b, to the player who needs the least help in the league doing that.

Plus I don't see McLeod having the vision, shot, or creativity to generate chances from the room that McDavid gives him, he'd just defer back to Connor. He's also not strong along the boards, easily getting out-leveraged; which if you have McDavid controlling the open ice, you better be good at. Just always being the high guy back, allowing McDavid to attack more isn't enough.

This isn't a shot at McLeod, but it's just not his game, even dating back to juniors. Even last year in the AHL, a big part of his success was being the guy that legged the puck up the ice with insane efficiency, drawing defenders to him before deferring to a wide open Marody or Benson in the offensive zone (players that needed that help getting the puck from a to b).

I like really like McLeod, but playing with McDavid isn't the role for him. McLeod's value is the ability to control open ice, and move the puck forward, getting it to open teammates. He's a Todd Marchant 2.0, or a more contemporary comparison: a forward version of Nurse with the puck.
nailed it... that is all

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

This isn't a shot at McLeod, but it's just not his game, dating back to juniors. Even last year in the AHL, a big part of his success was being the guy that legged the puck up the ice with insane efficiency, drawing defenders to him before deferring to a wide open Marody or Benson in the offensive zone.

Maroon scored 29 goals that one season. Benson won't have that many in his NHL career and can't even score 20 in the AHL. I mean jebus, Shore is NHL talented in comparison to Benson, the worst player on the team not named Turris.

How about this? To be able to play with McD you have to bring something to the party. I mean anything. With Maroon it was the ability to score, find open ice, claim it, and be impossible to budge from it. maroon also underrated in cycle ability and finding guys around the net or being found. Several seasons in and I can't even see anything Benson brings worth even having him in the lineup.

Mcleod would be a third on a line with McD, not a second, and its already happened, and already looked good. Mcleod as I mentioned helpful being an alternate zone entry on the line as we should be maximizing zone entry. I even specifically stated it should be with some 2nd like Kane, or some other premium player that can retain and cycle puck well in opposition zone.

lol that you mention "smarts" in relation to a convo about Benson who hasn't figured out the NHL even at age 24. Benson isn't even playing, and doesn't deserve to. His niche, several years in is pretend tough, hit somebody once in awhile, and snarl at guys skating away after the whistle. Benson is an absolute pretender at this level. The NHL game overwhelms him. He hears footsteps all the time.

Last edited:

Gene Carr

Jan 16, 2022

Its fine to compare alleged plodders to Benson, but Neal wasnt a real plodder for most of his career. And both Neal and Maroon had waaaay better hands and were far bigger.
Imo, the comparison is not merited.
If Benson wasn't from Edmonton people and a bantam phenom would likely be complaining hes on the team

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
He is a solid addition. Looked fine. Similar to guys like Hyman. He's real solid and makes our team a lot better. Running three scoring lines since as far back as I can remember.

Holloway looks incredible in the AHL. Him coming up and sliding Foegele down to the third or even fourth line would fix everything.

Is Fogele that bad?? Isnt his big body and compete level a good compliment, and boosts 3 strong lines? Holloway should out do Yamamoto, who goes to 3rd line - bumps kassian to 4th line.
Ryan MacLeod Kassian.

But even Shore is better than Kassian now, right?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Is Fogele that bad?? Isnt his big body and compete level a good compliment, and boosts 3 strong lines? Holloway should out do Yamamoto, who goes to 3rd line - bumps kassian to 4th line.
Ryan MacLeod Kassian.

But even Shore is better than Kassian now, right?
Foegele is fine. I like him as a player and he fits in the lineup -- just not as 2LW with Draisaitl. It would be a battle between him and Holloway for the third line.

Reactions: Duke74

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I'm going to give Kane the benefit of doubt that this is finally his new start.
From the TSN interviews, press conference, and legal custody of his child.
I believe Ken Holland did his due diligence, and from Tippett sources, there seems to lots of support for Kane's character.

Can someone confirm that the ex-wife did admit that she made up her pregnancy? Cause that is hard to trust after someone makes something like that up.

He seems genuine he's here to play hockey. So, I'm going leave it as that until any other evidence says otherwise.

So, with that said. Welcome Kane to the Edmonton Oilers. I hope you become a really awesome player for us, and I do hope you find your peace here and God Bless.

So, I'm going to focus Kane as the player.

Holy **** we just got Evander Kane on this Team!!! 100% he makes the team better as a player and what he brings.

Honorable mention to McDavid to see the opportunity for player and team to try get back on the right track to success.

Last edited:

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
I'm not sold on Kane being the net front presence on power play. Should be Pulju's job.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm going to give Kane the benefit of doubt that this is finally his new start.
From the TSN interviews, press conference, and legal custody of his child.
I believe Ken Holland did his due diligence, and from Tippett sources, there seems to lots of support for Kane's character.

Can someone confirm that the ex-wife did admit that she made up her pregnancy? Cause that is hard to trust after someone makes something like that up.

He seems genuine he's here to play hockey. So, I'm going leave it as that until any other evidence says otherwise.

So, with that said. Welcome Kane to the Edmonton Oilers. I hope you become a really awesome player for us, and I do hope you find your peace here and God Bless.

So, I'm going to focus Kane as the player.

Holy **** we just got Evander Kane on this Team!!! 100% he makes the team better as a player and what he brings.

Honorable mention to McDavid to see the opportunity for player and team to try get back on the right track to success.
Its a difficult area to get into here, and I know people (not you) are selectively blaming Kane for wanting his spouse to get an abortion, but the relationship was done, and clearly something was wrong with the spouse (Kane, a male, gained custody of kids, almost never happens) and so I could see a reasonable person maybe saying that they don't want further children with that person, further to knowing what that person may or may not be like raising children.

I don't know she made up a pregnancy, but I heard the hearsay that Kane didn't want further children with her.

I don't want to say more than that. But it makes sense to me.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
3 games in and people are actually praising Kane where prior, they we’re saying he’d totally derail their season.

Kane is a good player. Is he a good guy? Probsbly not. He adds a lot to this roster though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad