Value of: Evander Kane at the deadline

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Well...rnh has only eclipsed 20 goals once before...by that logic it seems like we have a deal (insert sarcasm)

Not sure I follow the logic you're providing here, also I'm a Flames fan so if that was some kind of dig, it didn't work.

A player that misses 20-30 games a season as well as having off ice issues is not as useful. Combine that with his lack of assists, his low shooting percentage, and his cap hit, is he actually that valuable? I'm not saying he should be given away, but there's no premium to pay

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Value of: Evander Kane at the deadline

The dignity of the GM trading for him.

Kane is a solid hockey player, he has been extremely unlucky these past few years with his and linemates' shooting %. That said the optics of trading for him are not that great.

Lord Alphonse

Mar 1, 2016
i would really like to see him in NYI ... i think he would do great on JTs wing. Would Bailey and 2nd be enough ? i would even do Kane for De haan ...

Kane-Tavares-Ho sang
Beauvillier-Nelson-Prince
Lee-Barzal-Strome
Ladd-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

we would need to get rid of guys like Chimera and Kulyomin though...

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
i would really like to see him in NYI ... i think he would do great on JTs wing. Would Bailey and 2nd be enough ? i would even do Kane for De haan ...

Kane-Tavares-Ho sang
Beauvillier-Nelson-Prince
Lee-Barzal-Strome
Ladd-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

we would need to get rid of guys like Chimera and Kulyomin though...

If you think Kane a) would be on a first line and b) could play with Tavares, you really have no idea what kind of player Kane is.

He is a third line player who does not interact with linemates on the ice. It's like they're not even there. He's not smart enough to find them and he's not smart enough to get open for them. He's effective on the third line, where he can do things by himself (carry the puck up the ice and shoot) and forecheck. And when I say 'effective', he's reached 40 points once since the last lockout, so he's that effective.

The only place I could see him slotting in with the Isles is with Clutterbuck and Cizikas to be honest. They could probably create some serious havoc and punch in more goals.

The only thing 'first line' about Kane is his ego and his salary. Neither of which increase his value.

Last edited:

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Sven Baertschi & Luca Sbisa for Evander Kane & a conditional pick (if another PR disaster arises before his contract is up).

Last edited:

hurricanedave

Apr 19, 2012
What about RNH for Kane?

Would Kane be a good fit playing alongside McDavid?

I don't think so, I like Kane but his style is not really well suited to being a complementary player to a high skill centre. Kane is basically an awesome third liner, so good that you want him in your top six but then he just never meshes well when you get him there. He's great at zone entries and generating shots, he's also a great forechecker. Problem is once he enters the zone his habits are to try and chip the puck past the defender or take a shot from the outside. That's all fine and dandy for a third liner but he's never been great utilizing his linemates in the ozone.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Sven Baertschi & Luca Sbisa for Evander Kane & a conditional pick (if another PR disaster arises before his contract is up).

I've never seen a condition like this. I'm pretty sure conditions have to be related to actual hockey, not personal life. If a PR disaster happens (depending on what it is), the team could try to terminate his contract due to him breaching it. Kane could also file a grievance with the NHLPA.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
If you think Kane a) would be on a first line and b) could play with Tavares, you really have no idea what kind of player Kane is.

He is a third line player who does not interact with linemates on the ice. It's like they're not even there. He's not smart enough to find them and he's not smart enough to get open for them. He's effective on the third line, where he can do things by himself (carry the puck up the ice and shoot) and forecheck. And when I say 'effective', he's reached 40 points once since the last lockout, so he's that effective.

The only place I could see him slotting in with the Isles is with Clutterbuck and Cizikas to be honest. They could probably create some serious havoc and punch in more goals.

The only thing 'first line' about Kane is his ego and his salary. Neither of which increase his value.

I don't think so, I like Kane but his style is not really well suited to being a complementary player to a high skill centre. Kane is basically an awesome third liner, so good that you want him in your top six but then he just never meshes well when you get him there. He's great at zone entries and generating shots, he's also a great forechecker. Problem is once he enters the zone his habits are to try and chip the puck past the defender or take a shot from the outside. That's all fine and dandy for a third liner but he's never been great utilizing his linemates in the ozone.

Both these posts hit the nail on the head.

Square peg, round hole.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
This is a tough one. I see the value of Kane as a player playing his best but I also see how he could be very bad for a young team and a distraction to a contender. The best bet might be trading him to a team that desperately wants to make the playoffs. There are enough of them.

I can see it going either way, the guy has the skills, speed, and physicality that teams covet and the personal problems that make him difficult to deal with.

I think someone will pay a slightly discounted price for him but not too bad of a deal for Buffalo.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Kane+Kulikov+2nd for Maatta+Fleury

Upon review, Buffalo can't make this move. They already need to protect Ristolainen, McCabe, and Bogosian in the expansion draft. It's in Buffalo's interest to go 7-3-1 and keep the team as it is right now. They need to expose Moulson, Ennis, and Gorges and get one of them picked. Hopefully Moulson.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
What kind of + would Buffalo offer for Muzzin?
Or what kind of + to muzzin would it take for Kane & McCabe?

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I'd take him on the Oilers only if he could be had for cheap and his cap hit retained. He'd be a replacement for Pitlick.

Maroon - McDavid - Eberle
Lucic - RNH - Draisaitl
Kane - Caggiula - Pouliot
Hendricks - Letestu - Kassian

Maybe Khaira + 3rd/4th for Kane 35% retained cap hit.

Zero chance we're retaining salary if we're dumping. We'll need something a little better than Khaira. Who's hot garbage. I'd say call it a 2nd and no salary retention. For dumping purpose.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Trade him to the Patriots. They know how to make the most of troubled but talented players.

Actually, the Bruins might not be a bad spot for him.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
No locker room is immune to his chemistry killing personality.

If any team is dumb enough to trade assets for him, know that you'll likely be killing the locker room and team structure in the process....

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Kane is declining. He's played at a 45 point pace ever since he's been a Sabre and was underwhelming in his last season with the Jets. I would not be surprised if he's playing in Europe in 3 years. He's progressing like Chris Stewart and Stewart fetched a 2nd back in the 2015 TDL.

Khaira, who is a good prospect and should be a serviceable 3rd liner by next season plus a pick is enough for Kane.

If the Oilers got him, I'd only expect him to play at a 20 goal, 35 point pace on the 3rd line for the remainder of his contract.

:laugh:

Yes Kane is "declining" at 25, is supposedly comparable to Chris Stewart and will be in Europe in 3 years. But here, take my completely garbage offer because I want him on my team for nothing :laugh:

Try again. Oh and the extra year on his deal doesn't reduce his value, it adds to it. You're proposal was absolutely garbage and laughable. In 2 years Kane will be signing a very large contract with a team in the NHL. Not going to Europe. That's probably the most hilariously false prediction I've ever read here. Kane will be hitting unrestricted free agency in 2018 as a 26 year old with great possession #s, speed, physicality and a goal scoring track record of 25 goals per 82 games. Considering most free agents who are 20+ goal scorers are usually a lot older then 26, that means Kane will get PAID.

No locker room is immune to his chemistry killing personality.

If any team is dumb enough to trade assets for him, know that you'll likely be killing the locker room and team structure in the process....

Kane has had no locker room issues in Buffalo whatsoever. Sabres will gladly keep Kane if people want to just make up false statements and offer complete GARBAGE. 20 goal scorers are scarce enough as it is.

Last edited:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Oh hey, what's new on the Trade rumors board? Evander Kane? This oughtta be terrible...

Yes it is. Hey Fellow Sabres' fans: let's hold on to our good players, ok? We only have like 6 of them.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Carolina fans seem interested. Would you trade your 2017 1st for him? That's assuming that GMRF thinks the team can catch Philly and Washington.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Some team will blow their brains out acquiring this guy at the deadline, and spend the next three seasons regretting it.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I think Sabres would be getting back someone else's problem in return so tread carefully. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad