Value of: Evander Kane at the deadline

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
After a slow start coming back from broken ribs, Kane has recently been the best ES scorer on the Sabres playing on 3rd line minutes (which is where he excels).

11 points in his last 13 games (including 8 goals).

As a top six winger, he's still someone I'd shy away from him. But he can make a third line much better offensively and more effective by himself. Still probably one of the best forecheckers in the league.

He's signed for one more year after this one at 5.3M

Have to think his value has gone up in the past month.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
He stinks is a lockerroom cancer and is worth nothing to get that out of the way fast.
Great thread idea.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He stinks is a lockerroom cancer and is worth nothing to get that out of the way fast.
Great thread idea.

Try using commas next time, that was harder to read than it needed to be.

Not really understanding how he "stinks" - he's been dynamite for a good month now.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Try using commas next time, that was harder to read than it needed to be.

Not really understanding how he "stinks" - he's been dynamite for a good month now.

I think he was just covering about 95% of the replies you're going to see in this thread. I'm sure you'll get plenty of "lol wouldn't give you my toenail clippings for him, he sux."

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
After a slow start coming back from broken ribs, Kane has recently been the best ES scorer on the Sabres playing on 3rd line minutes (which is where he excels).

11 points in his last 13 games (including 8 goals).

As a top six winger, he's still someone I'd shy away from him. But he can make a third line much better offensively and more effective by himself. Still probably one of the best forecheckers in the league.

He's signed for one more year after this one at 5.3M

Have to think his value has gone up in the past month.

Almost certainly less then what we would like. When he's not trouble and healthy he's as good as anyone, but he's still injury prone and a constant suspension risk/PR disaster.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I am probably in a small minority of fans, but I would still love it if the Pens took a shot at him (with retention) to see what he can do. I really think that, in a strong locker room the oft mentioned personality issues would probably be under control. As far as value, I really dont know what would be fair for Kane with a healthy (~2M) retention.

The problem of course is that winning teams either dont have the cap space for Kane at full price, or wont give up the assets to make a deal with retention happen. And I doubt Buffalo is just going to throw him away, or help a contender by eating half his contract and trading him for peanuts.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Probably less than what Buffalo would accept, for the obvious reasons (character concerns, injury history, inconsistency, under contract for another year, expansion draft, limited cap flexibility in the NHL).

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I'd take him on the Oilers only if he could be had for cheap and his cap hit retained. He'd be a replacement for Pitlick.

Maroon - McDavid - Eberle
Lucic - RNH - Draisaitl
Kane - Caggiula - Pouliot
Hendricks - Letestu - Kassian

Maybe Khaira + 3rd/4th for Kane 35% retained cap hit.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I'd take him on the Oilers only if he could be had for cheap and his cap hit retained. He'd be a replacement for Pitlick.

Lucic - RNH - Draisaitl

No chance that's enough lol he's still skilled

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
No chance that's enough lol he's still skilled

Kane is declining. He's played at a 45 point pace ever since he's been a Sabre and was underwhelming in his last season with the Jets. I would not be surprised if he's playing in Europe in 3 years. He's progressing like Chris Stewart and Stewart fetched a 2nd back in the 2015 TDL.

Khaira, who is a good prospect and should be a serviceable 3rd liner by next season plus a pick is enough for Kane.

If the Oilers got him, I'd only expect him to play at a 20 goal, 35 point pace on the 3rd line for the remainder of his contract.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Kane is declining. He's played at a 45 point pace ever since he's been a Sabre and was underwhelming in his last season with the Jets. I would not be surprised if he's playing in Europe in 3 years. He's progressing like Chris Stewart and Stewart fetched a 2nd back in the 2015 TDL.

Khaira, who is a good prospect and should be a serviceable 3rd liner by next season plus a pick is enough for Kane.

If the Oilers got him, I'd only expect him to play at a 20 goal, 35 point pace on the 3rd line for the remainder of his contract.

Your offer was nowhere near enticing or fair value.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
given his reputation it's going to be awfully tough to get proper value for him regardless of how he plays on the ice (barring an elite output)

maybe retained a team with a strong locker room might take a chance on him but I doubt significant assets would be going the other way.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

Lucic - RNH - Draisaitl

So you really think they will retain and take the nothing your offering. Kane has his issues but your offer is complete junk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad