Euro: Euro 2020/21 Discussion

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
So far I bet on France to win it all at 5-1 and Italy at 11-1. Denmark at +250 to win their group as I can see Belgium really crashing.

Thinking about Scotland +330 to finish Top 2 of their group. I’m not high on Croatia or Czech Republic.

I’m gonna play around a little more with the simulator to see each teams path before I go for a dark horse

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I ran the simulator. Got England/Germany and Netherlands/Portugal in the round of 16. I would enjoy that.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Curious why you rate this Germany side higher than England, Portugal and Italy. It's not nearly as strong as it was in years past.

Or why Belgium is so low while its clearly a top 3 team right now

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Watched Hungary today and...Magical Magyars these guys aren't. Robust Eastern European group with a lot of height and bulk but not a ton of skill to go around. Szalai up front probably their best player by a decent margin, but not exactly a Ballon d'Or candidate either. But with their size they could be a threat on set pieces, and they'll likely defend robustly. But to be honest, they really should not get any point in the group they're in. If they do it'll be a major calamity for whomever it happens to.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Watched Hungary today and...Magical Magyars these guys aren't. Robust Eastern European group with a lot of height and bulk but not a ton of skill to go around. Szalai up front probably their best player by a decent margin, but not exactly a Ballon d'Or candidate either. But with their size they could be a threat on set pieces, and they'll likely defend robustly. But to be honest, they really should not get any point in the group they're in. If they do it'll be a major calamity for whomever it happens to.

Losing Szoboszlai is probably a death blow to whatever chance they had.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Belgium isn't a top three team, but that being said. Due to injuries and other factors like dilution of the talent pool from there being more great players from other countries than usual? There's nowhere near as many powerhouse teams as there usually are in this. A couple of these teams are also full of players who had huge potential, but they didn't pan out because there were lots of players from a couple other countries worldwide who have two or three teams worth of players. And then there's some teams whose best players are hurt. Namely Hungary and the Netherlands. When it comes to this tournament I don't expect very much from a lot of teams.

I think that teams like Poland, Denmark, Scotland, Austria, Turkey, and Czech Republic will all be pretty competitive with the teams in their group. So I'm looking forward to it.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I've bought into Belgium too often to feel too strongly about them.

But I have a feeling Lukaku will be the star of the tournament.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Croatia are in poor form with a declining core. The Czechs and Scots have hungry up and coming stars with great coaching. Both of them absolutely have a chance against Croatia. That group can go either way. England should make the final looking at the team on paper but Southgate simply isn’t that great so we will see.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
With England we have to wait and see if, as usual, national team will turn out to be a joke, i guess the conditions are all there, but it is also true that at least on paper it seems to me the strongest national team they have ever fielded . For the rest, the team to beat is France, and something special or particular will be needed.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
With England we have to wait and see if, as usual, national team will turn out to be a joke, i guess the conditions are all there, but it is also true that at least on paper it seems to me the strongest national team they have ever fielded . For the rest, the team to beat is France, and something special or particular will be needed.

Do I just not watch enough EPL football to appreciate the growth of Maguire & Stones, or is their backline a liability?

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Favorites:

1. France-They won the World Cup and have the most talented team. They should runaway with this tournament, but it rarely seems like they play a cohesive team game. Coaching seems like a big issue to me.

2. Portugal-They won the last Euros, they're well coached, and they have a good up and coming generation. They probably come in with the best team.

Could Win If Everything Goes Right:

3. England-They are probably the second most talented team in this tournament. I have almost no personnel questions, relative to the other teams, but it's a young team and England has a history of not playing up to their talent level.

4. Italy-It's far from their most talented generation, but I think a lot of people aren't giving them enough credit. They've gotten better results in recent years than you'd think, given the drop in talent, and they have really good midfielders. The questions will be that their CB's are old and slow, and they don't have the offense to outscore the top teams.

5. Belgium-They are well coached, they've had success with this generation, and they have some standout individuals. The path is there to winning the tournament. They also have old and slow CB's, non-existent wingbacks, and they are relying on a 32 year old who hasn't played since January to anchor the team in midfield.

Will Not Win:

6. Spain-They probably have the talent to win, if everything goes right, but they have had a terrible preparation for this tournament, and their young generation is probably still a few years away from being able to win a big tournament.

7. Netherlands-I don't doubt the talent. They have the talent to win this tournament. They also have by far the worst coaching of the big countries.

8. Germany-Their defense will give up goals because their defenders aren't that great, and they don't have the goals in the team to outscore the goals they will give up. I expect an early exit. I think they could be eliminated by a weaker team.

Reactions: habsnacks

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Do I just not watch enough EPL football to appreciate the growth of Maguire & Stones, or is their backline a massive liability?

I would agree with that. Maguire is injured and hasn't played a meaningful minute in a month. I'm not sold on Stones.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Not sure if you guys heard but Spain only brought 24 players. Enrique's reasoning was that there was simply no reason to bring more. So dumb.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Not sure if you guys heard but Spain only brought 24 players. Enrique's reasoning was that there was simply no reason to bring more. So dumb.
I keep seeing this but they clearly have reserves so I dont know what the issue is. Spain will be fine imo. Not their best team and will have trouble scoring if they rely on Morata but will o better than the likes of Italy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad