Euro: Euro 2020/21 Discussion

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
France with a 3-0 win over Bulgaria.
Benz got out injured, Giroud scored twice :laugh:
Lemar with a fantastic few minutes. Won't show up on the scoreboard again, but he totally created Giroud's second (along with a nice assist from Ben Yedder).

Reactions: Power Man

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Spain as well. Sweden can absolutely win or draw that one.

Nah Spain is too good for us, slovakia and poland.

Beetween sweden, slovakia and poland, anything can happen. very even teams. People who say Sweden dont stand a chance against Poland and Slovakia is either trolling or dont know anything about this teams. (cgf im looking at you).

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Svanberg would probably be a starter so losing him kinda sucks.

Kulusevski doesn't suit Sweden's 4-4-2, so meh.

Reminder that Sweden did manage to draw Spain not too long ago.

Sweden should beat Slovakia.

As for Poland I think it's a 50/50 matchup. Sweden has a more balanced squad, but Poland has Lewa.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Svanberg would probably be a starter so losing him kinda sucks.

Kulusevski doesn't suit Sweden's 4-4-2, so meh.

Reminder that Sweden did manage to draw Spain not too long ago.

Sweden should beat Slovakia.

As for Poland I think it's a 50/50 matchup. Sweden has a more balanced squad, but Poland has Lewa.

Svanberg almost never starts for Sweden. Its mostly Sebastian Larsson, Albin Ekdal and Kristofer Olsson that starts.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Beetween sweden, slovakia and poland, anything can happen. very even teams. People who say Sweden dont stand a chance against Poland and Slovakia is either trolling or dont know anything about this teams. (cgf im looking at you).

no one said Sweden don’t stand a chance. People said all these teams are beatable - which they are

I forgot how weird you all get during the National tourneys.

Reactions: cgf

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
no one said Sweden don’t stand a chance. People said all these teams are beatable - which they are

I forgot how weird you all get during the National tourneys.

i see lots of people are down on spain, even if spain has their worst team in long time they should still beat sweden, poland and slovakia.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

What the...? I never said they didn't have a chance.

I just thought it was silly to act like they should be favorites over Poland & Slovakia, when those matches are 50/50s :dunno:

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
He started two of the last three friendly's and was subbed in the other. Much prefer him over other options.

note that it was friendly games where our coach tried different players. when its games that matters its almost everytime olsson, larsson and ekdal that starts.

svanberg is pretty good but i dont know if he fits our team. He might be too offensive as a central midfelder. Our coach wants 2 defensivly strong midfelders.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What the...? I never said they didn't have a chance.

I just thought it was silly to act like they should be favorites over Poland & Slovakia, when those matches are 50/50s :dunno:

What is the expected lineup for Germany?

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

Spain are not the team they used to be. They have had huge problems breaking down compact, well organised teams recently. In our WC qualifiying group in March, Spain beat Georgia thanks to a 94th minute goalkeeping error, drew to Greece and beat Kosovo by 3-1. Remember last time we played them, in the Euro 2020 qualifiers? It ended 1-1 and could have gone either way. We have played them a lot recently and the games have always been close. Any team in the world will struggle against Sweden because of how great the team works as a defensive unit.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I expect Sweden to get out of the group stage and maybe the Round of 16 depending on opponents, but I don’t think we make it past the quarters.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Spain are not the team they used to be. They coild have problems breaking down compact, well organised teams. Remember last time we played them, in the Euro 2020 qualifiers? It ended 1-1 and could have gone either way. We have played them a lot recently and the games have always been close. Any team in the world will struggle against Sweden because of how great the team works as a defensive unit.

Yeah france, spain, germany and italy had some tough matches against us last years. But if you take 5 games beetwen us and the bigger nations we still lose 4 of them. Just look at the players Spain have.

We swedes never been very good at passing and dribbling overall, its our team spirit, grit, defense , good coaching and tactics that is our strenght, its funny becuse in hockey its the other way around.

But Granqvist might destroy all this, its crazy he is even on this team. The guy is not even good in Swedish second division ffs. Joakim Nilsson should really had his spot.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Yeah france, spain, germany and italy had some tough matches against us last years. But if you take 5 games beetwen us and the bigger nations we still lose 4 of them. Just look at the players Spain have.

We swedes never been very good at passing and dribbling overall, its our team spirit, grit, defense , good coaching and tactics that is your strenght, its funny becuse in hockey its the other way around.

But Granqvist might destroy all this, its crazy he is even on this team. The guy is not even good in Swedish second division ffs. Joakim Nilsson should really had his spot.
I can assure you Granqvist won’t play a single minute at all. I’m also quite happy with our creative players right now, Forsberg and Kulusevski are great, with guys like Jesper Karlsson on their way up.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
The Guardian has France ranked 5th in their power rankings. Lol.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What is the expected lineup for Germany?

Who knows. Depends on whether we go with a back 4, or a back 3; if Kimmich will be on the right or in the midfield; and Gnabry is the only lock to start in the attack...probably Müller too if you count him as an attacker instead of a midfielder. Plus Jogi might be arrogant enough to start Kroos against teams like Portugal & France. I think we go with a 4-3-3, 3-1-4-2/3-5-2, or a 3-4-3, depending on the opponent & who's playing best.

What makes sense to me would be Gosens on the left; with Hummels, Rudiger & Klostermann...maybe Ginter...playing either alongside Gosens in a back 4 or behind him in a back 3. Hofmann being my pick for a RWB if we go with a back 3 and Kimmich is in the midfield.

A midfield that should feature Kimmich & Gundogan in any shape, with the 3rd spot (when we opt for 3) going to Müller or Goretzka...maybe Neuhaus if LeGo isn't fit in time.

Then Gnabry is a lock, probably Müller too if he's not in the midfield...but which of Havertz, Werner, Sane, Volland, or Musiala, will fill out the attack is a question mark. Though I suspect one of the Chelsea boys will get first crack at a starting spot.

So hopefully something like:
4-3-3
Müller/Werner - Gnabry - Havertz/Werner
LeGo/Müller - Gundogan
Kimmich
Gosens - Rudiger* - Hummels - Klostermann*
Neuer

3-1-4-2/3-5-2
Gnabry - Havertz/Werner/Müller
Gosens - Müller/LeGo - Gundogan - Hofmann
Kimmich
Rudiger* - Hummels - Klostermann*
Neuer

3-4-3/3-4-2-1
Müller - Gnabry - Havertz/Werner
Gosens - Kimmich - Gundogan - Hofmann
Rudiger* - Hummels - Klostermann*
Neuer

*Ginter​

Last edited:
Reactions: Eye of Ra

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
to be fair a lot of that has to do with the groups

if France was in the Netherlands or Italy’s place, I suspect they would be a 3-1 or even 5/2 favorites.
Betting odds are also not straight odds in that they set in accordance to expected bets comping in and set to minimize potential losses.

habsnacks

Nov 16, 2014
If i would do a power rankning;

1: France
2: Germany
3: Portugal
4: England
5: Spain
6: Italy
7: Netherlands
8: Belgium
9: Denmark
10: Croatia
11: Ukraine
12: Switzerland
13: Sweden
14: Austria
15: Turkey
16: Poland
17: Czech
18: Scotland
19: Wales
20: Russia
21: Slovakia
22: Hungary
23: Macedonia
24: Finland

Curious why you rate this Germany side higher than England, Portugal and Italy. It's not nearly as strong as it was in years past.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad