Prospect Info: Ethan Edwards (#120 pick - 2020 draft)

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Most collegiate players still sign with the team that drafted them. There's a lot of reasons to do that.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I believe, per my reading of the CBA, that he can be a free agent June 1 if he quits school. I'm obviously not an expert in contracts outside the realm of intellectual property, but here is the relevant section, given he started school a year late.

If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19, who had received a Bona Fide Offer in accordance with Section 8.6(a)(ii) above, becomes a bona fide college student prior to the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the later of: (a) the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college student; provided that if the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year and the Player: (1) is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA eligibility, or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including the August 15 following the date on which he ceases to be a bona fide college student.
His fourth June 1st in this year. I am assuming the second portion of this, following the "provided that if the player..." only applies to students in their 4th year of school (he isn't) and also would only extend our window to August 15th even if it applied.

Reactions: Brodeur

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I believe, per my reading of the CBA, that he can be a free agent June 1 if he quits school.
Ya but he’s extremely unlikely not to go back for his senior year.

He should probably go back and get his degree because pro hockey isn’t likely to set him up for life.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Most collegiate players still sign with the team that drafted them. There's a lot of reasons to do that.
We have little to no depth anywhere at this point so there is potential for him to make the big club in 2-3 years possibly if he keeps developing.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Ya but he’s extremely unlikely not to go back for his senior year.

He should probably go back and get his degree because pro hockey isn’t likely to set him up for life.
I don't know. If he has interest from an NHL team, I don't think it's inconceivable he decides to leave. Pretty straightforward to go back and finish the degree after pursuing hockey.

And if he does decide to leave, he gets to be a free agent if he wants (probably?). Might tilt the decision a little.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I don't know. If he has interest from an NHL team, I don't think it's inconceivable he decides to leave. Pretty straightforward to go back and finish the degree after pursuing hockey.

And if he does decide to leave, he gets to be a free agent if he wants (probably?). Might tilt the decision a little.
He’s barely an NHL prospect and it would technically be tampering for NHL teams to pursue him currently.

Guys at Edwards level don’t tend to leave college early. The advantage of scholarship and leaving with a degree far outweighs starting your pro career early.

There are lots of guys at Edwards level, prospect wise, and we don’t see tons of guys leaving school early to become marginal free agents. If a guy does leave early it’s usually because he’s become a top college player and thinks he has a real NHL path in the near future; that’s not Edwards.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
By far the most likely scenario is he plays a 4th year, then immediately signs with the Devils and goes to Utica.

It’s unlikely he tops out as anything more than a 6/7, and will likely have a long career as a solid AHLer, so even if he decides to wait til August and go UFA, it’s not gonna matter much.

Barring a massive development spike, it’ll be at least two more years until he’s in the running for playing time alongside the Hatakkas and Vilens awaiting call-up opportunities.

EDIT: overall, it’s probably a good sign that players with marginal NHL aspirations may not have a future with the Devils. I think it’s important to have players like Edwards in the system, but if you’re ever relying on them to be valuable pros, that’s a problem.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I believe, per my reading of the CBA, that he can be a free agent June 1 if he quits school. I'm obviously not an expert in contracts outside the realm of intellectual property, but here is the relevant section, given he started school a year late.

His fourth June 1st in this year. I am assuming the second portion of this, following the "provided that if the player..." only applies to students in their 4th year of school (he isn't) and also would only extend our window to August 15th even if it applied.

Reading the CBA always reminds me why my SAT verbal wasn't as high as I would have wanted.

As you said since Edwards played his D+1 in the USHL, he could expedite his free agency without the graduating. Most notable cases of this were Blake Wheeler and Justin Schultz but they were more highly regarded prospects than Edwards. Wheeler/Schultz could be promised NHL spots off the bat whereas I don't think any NHL teams could guarantee that for Edwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad