Prospect Info: Ethan Edwards (#120 pick - 2020 draft)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Defenceman Ethan Edwards was drafted by the Portland Winterhawks in the eighth round (165th overall) of the 2018 WHL Draft and by the Sioux Falls Stampede in the eighth round (125th overall) of the 2018 USHL Futures Draft. Despite that, the Grand Prarie, Alberta native choose to stay close to home, playing for the Spruce Grove Saints in the AJHL. Edwards put up nine goals and 24 assists for 33 points in 50 games this year. He also added two points in six playoff games. He was named to the AJHL (North) All-Rookie Team. Last season, Edwards played in 10 regular-season games, recording one assist. He also played five playoff games putting up one assist. Edwards represented Team Canada West at the 2019 World Junior A Hockey Challenge, recording one assist in four tournament games.

Prior to going to the AJHL, Edwards played prep-school hockey for Northern Alberta X-Treme Prep. In 2018-19 he put up two goals and 23 assists for 25 points in 33 regular-season games. He also added one goal and one assist for two points in five playoff games. Edwards helped his team to the CSSHL Championship. He is committed to playing for the Michigan Wolverines next year.

Ethan Edwards Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #99

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
DeficientMasculineCurassow-small.gif

No idea lol

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Another guy who dropped; did lack of size cause teams to pass on him? Because those scouting reports and some of the hype from people who seem to know his game look legit, dig the sound of what he might bring.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves you know what to do... hit us with the facts

I'll try to write something up. The quick version is the Devils shored up RW for pretty much ever with Holtz and Mercer, took a huge swing for the fences with mercurial but very talented Mukhamadullin, took a nice chance with a touted goalie, made a great pick in the 4th with a very high-floor, power checking center. From the 5th round on the draft was decidedly underwhelming, passing up multiple players with dynamic offensive tools for lower-upside, medium-floor depth types.

Overall, you have to be happy as a Devils fan. The future Devils are overloaded in terms of prospect depth. There is high end talent at both wings and incredible array of talent at LD. Though the center depth is technically thin, it's actually amazing if you factor in Hughes and Hischier. Maybe goalie was shored up too with the addition of Nico Daws. Really, the only weakness for the Devils is at RD, and of course the Devils still lack the franchise defenseman they have long coveted, since they were one pick shy of a shot at Sanderson or Drysdale.

Ultimately, the Devils might have the most prospect depth of any team in the entire NHL. Guys who are in the #20th-#25th best prospect range for the Devils -- names like Pasic and Vukojevic -- would be in the conversation for top 5 prospects on multiple NHL teams, and they'd be top 10 guys for a third of the league.

In terms of overall talent, I'd say the Devils are top 5, though teams like Los Angeles and Ottawa and the Rangers have widened the gap with them over the past two days of drafting, which has to be at least a slight concern, concerning the Devils had three picks in the top 20.

There are several winners in the 2020 draft. Aside from the teams I just mentioned, Minnesota did outstanding work, as did Carolina and San Jose and Anaheim and several other teams. If there's a big loser, it's either Arizona -- no picks until the 4th round and then drafting the lowest character player in the entire draft -- and Columbus. There is no excuse for Columbus, it's just proof positive that, while it's okay to take the consensus with a grain of salt, if you show abject disdain for it you're going to make poor value picks and weak asset management decisions across the board. You want Chinahkov? Fine. Trade down. If you possibly think that another team would have taken him in the next 20 picks, you obviously have not been doing your homework, and thus the fault is your own.

But back to the Devils, the future is bright. The idea of a future top 6 of Foote-Hughes-Holtz followed by Bratt-Hischier-Mercer is very, very tantalizing. If Mukhamadullin even approaches his upside, you're going to have a very intriguing blueline built around Smith, Bahl and, uh... "Mookie". So, I'm optimistic. Could the 2020 draft have been better? Maybe. But the Devils future is far better today than it was on Sunday, and that's really important to focus on.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'll try to write something up. The quick version is the Devils shored up RW for pretty much ever with Holtz and Mercer, took a huge swing for the fences with mercurial but very talented Mukhamadullin, took a nice chance with a touted goalie, made a great pick in the 4th with a very high-floor, power checking center. From the 5th round on the draft was decidedly underwhelming, passing up multiple players with dynamic offensive tools for lower-upside, medium-floor depth types.

Overall, you have to be happy as a Devils fan. The future Devils are overloaded in terms of prospect depth. There is high end talent at both wings and incredible array of talent at LD. Though the center depth is technically thin, it's actually amazing if you factor in Hughes and Hischier. Maybe goalie was shored up too with the addition of Nico Daws. Really, the only weakness for the Devils is at RD, and of course the Devils still lack the franchise defenseman they have long coveted, since they were one pick shy of a shot at Sanderson or Drysdale.

Ultimately, the Devils might have the most prospect depth of any team in the entire NHL. Guys who are in the #20th-#25th best prospect range for the Devils -- names like Pasic and Vukojevic -- would be in the conversation for top 5 prospects on multiple NHL teams, and they'd be top 10 guys for a third of the league.

In terms of overall talent, I'd say the Devils are top 5, though teams like Los Angeles and Ottawa and the Rangers have widened the gap with them over the past two days of drafting, which has to be at least a slight concern, concerning the Devils had three picks in the top 20.

There are several winners in the 2020 draft. Aside from the teams I just mentioned, Minnesota did outstanding work, as did Carolina and San Jose and Anaheim and several other teams. If there's a big loser, it's either Arizona -- no picks until the 4th round and then drafting the lowest character player in the entire draft -- and Columbus. There is no excuse for Columbus, it's just proof positive that, while it's okay to take the consensus with a grain of salt, if you show abject disdain for it you're going to make poor value picks and weak asset management decisions across the board. You want Chinahkov? Fine. Trade down. If you possibly think that another team would have taken him in the next 20 picks, you obviously have not been doing your homework, and thus the fault is your own.

But back to the Devils, the future is bright. The idea of a future top 6 of Foote-Hughes-Holtz followed by Bratt-Hischier-Mercer is very, very tantalizing. If Mukhamadullin even approaches his upside, you're going to have a very intriguing blueline built around Smith, Bahl and, uh... "Mookie". So, I'm optimistic. Could the 2020 draft have been better? Maybe. But the Devils future is far better today than it was on Sunday, and that's really important to focus on.
Fantastic. Thoughts on Edwards specifically? He seems to be a nice pick according to most pundits.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Really, the only weakness for the Devils is at RD, and of course the Devils still lack the franchise defenseman they have long coveted, since they were one pick shy of a shot at Sanderson or Drysdale.

I wouldn't be surprised if RHD was not a priority at all in this draft because of next year's draft. It's full of d-men and RHD. I don't like that kind of thought process but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
when i play hockey line lego, i also come up with the same forward lines. unlikely all of them grow into top 6 forwards, but that's also how i see them fitting together. you mentioned smith, bahl and shak as top pairing options. assuming smith plays the right side, which pairings do you think would fit better:

shak - severson
bahl - smith

or

shak - smith
bahl - severson

what about misyul? i still have hope he could be a top4 option. but man that right side needs a lot of work and i don't think there will be a lot of help available from the free agent market.

2020 UFA
Alex Pietrangelo
Sami Vatanen
Christopher Tanev
Travis Hamonic
Brandon Montour

2021 UFA
Dougie Hamilton
David Savard
Adam Larsson
Brandon Carlo (Pipe Dream)

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
what about misyul? i still have hope he could be a top4 option.
Signed in the KHL through 2023. So, what I'd expect with Mookie likely getting another contract in Russia as well, we're looking at those 2 in, earliest, 3 to 4 years. Thus, I have it like this based solely on who our current prospects and players are...

Bahl-Smith
Okhotyuk-Severson
Vukojevic-Walsh

Puck movers on the right with stalwarts on the left

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Signed in the KHL through 2023. So, what I'd expect with Mookie likely getting another contract in Russia as well, we're looking at those 2 in, earliest, 3 to 4 years. Thus, I have it like this based solely on who our current prospects and players are...

Bahl-Smith
Okhotyuk-Severson
Vukojevic-Walsh

Puck movers on the right with stalwarts on the left
I love the idea of that break down with each pairing having a guy if each skill set.

Reactions: TheGooseIsLoose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad