Prospect Info: Ethan Edwards (#120 pick - 2020 draft)

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Can we put that Ethan Edwards card in here just for cleanliness sake? :)

Do we expect to sign him? I wouldn't mind more depth.
At this point, returning for his junior year is probably the best decision. He can jump up in the lineup and play more against top players on others teams. Last two seasons he's played behind the likes of Hughes, Power, Blankenburg and others.

Reactions: My3Sons

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
This might be a hot take on this forum....but Edwards was the best Michigan dman during the B1G championship game vs Minnesota. Even looked better and had a better game than Luke. Obviously a small sample size but it's not often a Michigan dman outshines Hughes. Great to see!

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
He's a good prospect....hope they sign him but could easily see him going 4 yr and signing with a team he has better chance playing with...

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
He's a good prospect....hope they sign him but could easily see him going 4 yr and signing with a team he has better chance playing with...

If he has a big point season next year with Hughes gone maybe we can get a 2nd rounder for him? He gets to start his career a year earlier, we get a pick, and some lucky team gets a good young defenseman at a bargain price.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If he has a big point season next year with Hughes gone maybe we can get a 2nd rounder for him? He gets to start his career a year earlier, we get a pick, and some lucky team gets a good young defenseman at a bargain price.

Extremely unlikely. Henry Thrun, who's had a much better college career, was traded for a 3rd in next year's draft. Nobody's trading a 2nd for a guy with one breakout year - most likely, no one's trading for him at all.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Extremely unlikely. Henry Thrun, who's had a much better college career, was traded for a 3rd in next year's draft. Nobody's trading a 2nd for a guy with one breakout year - most likely, no one's trading for him at all.

Fair enough. I forgot he was a 2020 and not a 2021 because he had that USHL season in his d+1.

Assuming things go as planned with Luke and Bahl, I don’t see NJ offering him an ELC. Probably the only chance he stays in the organization is if he signs an AHL deal.

Seems unlikely though, he’ll probably go somewhere with more opportunity.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Fair enough. I forgot he was a 2020 and not a 2021 because he had that USHL season in his d+1.

Assuming things go as planned with Luke and Bahl, I don’t see NJ offering him an ELC. Probably the only chance he stays in the organization is if he signs an AHL deal.

Seems unlikely though, he’ll probably go somewhere with more opportunity.

I don't think Luke Hughes or Kevin Bahl have anything to do with the Devils offering Edwards an ELC. They cleared out two LHD from the organization in the Meier trade. The only LHD who is definitely signed for 2024-25 and likely to be in Utica is Topias Vilen - Vukojevic could still be there, but he hasn't become a full-time player for Utica yet in his D+4 so who knows where he's at. Santeri Hatakka has been hurt all year. Groleau probably won't be back, or at least not on an NHL deal.

And then that's basically it for LHDs in the organization, too - Misyul is 23 this year, if he ever comes over, which I doubt, he won't play in Utica, and Orlov is 19 and unlikely to play much in the AHL depending on how career goes.

The Devils will almost certainly offer him an ELC when his college career is over, it's just a question of whether he wants it.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don't think Luke Hughes or Kevin Bahl have anything to do with the Devils offering Edwards an ELC. They cleared out two LHD from the organization in the Meier trade. The only LHD who is definitely signed for 2024-25 and likely to be in Utica is Topias Vilen - Vukojevic could still be there, but he hasn't become a full-time player for Utica yet in his D+4 so who knows where he's at. Santeri Hatakka has been hurt all year. Groleau probably won't be back, or at least not on an NHL deal.

And then that's basically it for LHDs in the organization, too - Misyul is 23 this year, if he ever comes over, which I doubt, he won't play in Utica, and Orlov is 19 and unlikely to play much in the AHL depending on how career goes.

The Devils will almost certainly offer him an ELC when his college career is over, it's just a question of whether he wants it.
If NJ thinks it through they offer him a deal before he enters his last season of NJ team rights. At this point it’s unlikely Bahl or Luke spend any appreciable time in the AHL and Edwards can play there next season.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Understand he's overshadowed by Luke Hughes and Seamus Casey with their offensive games but he plays with a heavy meanstreak that brings a needed element.

With so many prospects in the pipeline it's easy to miss but after Devils' games like last night's can definitely see where he would fill a need.

A nice option to have.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
This might be a hot take on this forum....but Edwards was the best Michigan dman during the B1G championship game vs Minnesota. Even looked better and had a better game than Luke. Obviously a small sample size but it's not often a Michigan dman outshines Hughes. Great to see!
Was thinking the same thing during the first period against Colgate last night when it was still (sort of) a tight game.

He has an edge to his game that is a needed element in the New Jersey lineup.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Was thinking the same thing during the first period against Colgate last night when it was still (sort of) a tight game.

He has an edge to his game that is a needed element in the New Jersey lineup.
it’d be great to have another Okhotyuk type who can play in a pinch. Not sure he’ll be pushing Bahl or Smith for a spot but more competition can’t hurt.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
it’d be great to have another Okhotyuk type who can play in a pinch. Not sure he’ll be pushing Bahl or Smith for a spot but more competition can’t hurt.

Yeah is not a Bahl or Okho kind of player. He has some grit, but he is tiny but can have some aggression. Much more of a offensive D than defensive

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Saw he was shaken up tonight but then I couldn't watch the end of the game.

Did he return and if not will he be available in Tampa for the Frozen Four?

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

Weird considering he participated in our development camp. Hopefully a speedy recovery!

Really too bad for him.

How do his draft rights work? He was drafted out of the AJH, played D+1 in the USHL, but had committed to Michigan. Do the Devils keep his rights through August of his D+4 year (this coming summer), August after his senior year (summer 2025), or could he go back for a 5th year and the Devils still retain his rights if they make a credible offer?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad