Recalled/Assigned: Ethan Bear Recalled

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I'm interested to see how he'll do. Any chance he's playing tonight? Probably not, but if he is, I might tune in.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
It was in Saturday's journal how Klefbom received a cortisone shot for his shoulder .

So there is that.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
It was in Saturday's journal how Klefbom received a cortisone shot for his shoulder .

So there is that.

yep there's gotta be something wrong with him

Here's the quote from the Journal :

He's taken a cortisone shot for his sore shoulder, while the team has been guarded on the problem. Nobody would be surprised if he needed more repair on the appendage when the season's over.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This could be good for two reasons. To finally shut down Klef so he can properly heal and give Bear some valuable experience.

I never thought I would say this a couple of weeks ago but the rest of the season has gotten interesting with Drai's emergence as a line driver, Khaira, Stome and Slepyshev playing well and perhaps all three earning a spot going into next season, to see what we have in Aberg, Pulju if he ever gets a chance to play with skill and now Bear. Hey, it's something.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Planet Zoltar is Bob's hangout.

Yes, I just wish we had more prospects we could take a look at from the AHL but the cupboard is pretty bare.

~sigh~ worst team in the league for what was it, 8 years?
and it makes me sad that the cupboard is so bare. should be the complete opposite.
it should have been impossible for an organization to be so inept for so long, but here we are.

oh well.
go Bear!

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hope Bear is in tonight. And any word on if/when we might see Aberg?

Edit: NVM. Looks like Aberg is in! Evaluation period here we come!

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Adam Larsson will be returning to Sweden after this game to attend to some family matters after the death of his father. He’ll miss the next couple of games. Russell back in tonight. In this article below

Pontus Aberg will make debut with Edmonton Oilers
Thanks for that. I got the feeling Stauffer was talking about Larsson. At least Russell is back. I would put Bear right in there and sit Sekera down as he just doesn't look anywhere close to being 100%. Bear should be hungry because it's springtime and hibernation and all that Principe schtick.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I like Bear, hopefully he can be the PMD PP dman we need. Would be a bonus if he's better then Benning already.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
What I take from this:

• We've had a disappointing season
  • We aren't making it to the playoffs
  • It's time to give our prospects a bit of NHL experience so that we can see where they're at in terms of progression.
  • Despite only scoring 6 goals this year, the Oilers feel that Bear has worked his butt off this year and feel that he's the first guy in line to get a cup of coffee in the NHL :partytime:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I mean...it wouldn't be hard to be better than Benning already.

Benning is criminally underrated on these boards because we signed him as a free agent. Not to many 23 year old dmen who are in their 2nd season in the league. As a bottom pairing guy he's the type of guy you want. Problem is here he's being asked to play more then he should be. Which has been a problem with the Oilers forever.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Benning is criminally underrated on these boards because we signed him as a free agent. Not to many 23 year old dmen who are in their 2nd season in the league. As a bottom pairing guy he's the type of guy you want. Problem is here he's being asked to play more then he should be. Which has been a problem with the Oilers forever.

Last year was his first pro year. Hadn't even played in the AHL so I thought his rookie season was promising.
If he'd spent the entire year on the 3rd pairing playing with another d-man with a compatible skill set he'd look a lot better.
Can't blame him that our blue line depth sucked so bad that signing him as the best move to make.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Where do you think he's rated? I think hes rated as a 6/7 D-man with no potential to be better than that. Your right, he's playing above his talent level. That's Chia's fault.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I haven't followed our prospects really, but weren't Jones and maybe Mantha ahead of him?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Where do you think he's rated? I think hes rated as a 6/7 D-man with no potential to be better than that. Your right, he's playing above his talent level. That's Chia's fault.

A bottom pairing guy 5th, 6th, 7th guy on the team who should be paired with a stay at home dman. He's making 925K, so it's not like he's making big top 4 money. If your complaining about Benning, complain about where Chia is forcing him to play. He shouldnt be in the top 4.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I haven't followed our prospects really, but weren't Jones and maybe Mantha ahead of him?

No Bear has a bit of upside, just was undersized. Was pretty happy with the pick when it was made. In saying that he was still taken later in the draft so dont expect much.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Jones and Mantha were rated above him because guys like them traditionally adapt to the NHL and AHL easier. Bear had more upside.
Bear seemed to be adapting fine on the farm.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
I'm interested to see how he'll do. Any chance he's playing tonight? Probably not, but if he is, I might tune in.

He'll probably do OK as long as he doesn't take any instructions from the coaching staff. He'll probably look good to start, then after the coaches get a hold of him for a few practices you won't notice him anymore.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Russell would skip his own funeral to play in a hockey game, that guy is fearless, as much hate as he gets, definitely a good teammate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad