Esposito to the Penguins...unreal

Prucha25Graves988*

How sick is this. Pittsburgh wins the lottery. Hell...Esposito wins the lottery. This now gives them a definitely scary top two lines...and a god awful scary powerplay. Good god this is going to be great. Good luck getting tickets to Pens games once the new arena opens.

I wonder when all these superstars that Pitts has,will they be able to afford and keep when the become UFA's, all that talent equals alot of $$$$, big talent big dollars.

Larkin

Jan 1, 2006
WOW!I was hoping for Maxim Mayorov but Angelo Esposito I never even imagined he would drop to the pens. He will be a future star. Wouldn't that be something if we could grab Mayorov,Sweatt,or Goncharov in the 2nd round. I think Mayorov will get taken early in the second.

1980's Oilers Penguins
GRETZKY CROSBY
KURRI MALKIN
MESSIER STAAL
ANDERSON ESPOSITO
FUHR FLEURY
COFFEY LETANG
LOWE WHITNEY

Who's Tikkanen? :sarcasm:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I second that emotion. After Turris Espo was the guy I wanted for my Nucks. so close yet so far.
Question, *** are the Pens going to do with all those centremen? I bet someone gets moved in a super duper block buster. Staal for Zherdev anyone?

Shy.

One or two will be moved to the wing.

The Pens will be a sick sick team for the next decade, but IMO Esposito will not be that big a player for them. Just my opinion, but when the Pens drafted Malkin, Staal, and Crosby, I was sure they would be huge additions. I'm equally of the opinion that Esposito will not.

Yeah, you really went out on a limb there.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Yeah, you really went out on a limb there.

:) I think many people here are thinking Esposito will be another great player like Staal. I don't think he will. I don't actually think he'll be a valuable player at all. I think he'll be crap, and end up getting traded. Is that more out on a limb?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
:) I think many people here are thinking Esposito will be another great player like Staal. I don't think he will. I don't actually think he'll be a valuable player at all. I think he'll be crap, and end up getting traded. Is that more out on a limb?

you could be right, but i'm glad they took the chance!:)

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Getting Esposito is going to be great for the Penguins; You think that team is good now? Imagine in 2-3 years when Esposito joins the team how good they'll be.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Getting Esposito is going to be great for the Penguins; You think that team is good now? Imagine in 2-3 years when Esposito joins the team how good they'll be.

When/If he ever makes the pens, 1 of Crosby/Malkin/Staal will be gone...im voting for Malkin...wont be able to afford those 3 in 4 years time, plus Fleury in my opinion.

wpg_habsfan

Jun 5, 2006
Winnipeg
I really think what happened to Esposito is like what happened to Schremp. They are both comparable young "phenoms", who, because of attitude questions, slipped farther than most people thought in the draft.

Congrats on the Penguins for taking a chance on him! :handclap: If he turns out to be great, the Penguins will be insanely good! But there is a chance, and a larger one than most people here think, that he doesn't turn out to be a player most people think he'll become. There is a reason why he fell in the draft, so it's a little premature to pencil him into a top six role because he has yet to prove himself really.

But if there is one organization that could develop him into a top 6 role, it would be the Penguins! Thank you so much for drafting him, because if he went to the Habs, he would have cracked under the pressure of the media because he wouldn't meet the incredible expectations he has in Quebec.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia

How so?

Lets assume the cap will be around 50 million.

Crosby is getting 20% of that right off the hop...Fleury around 4-5 M per, Malkin will be making 6-7 at that point...Staal wil be done his 2nd contract and will likely need a 4-5 per year deal.

Remember, im talkin 5 years down the road, not 1 or 2.

That is over half the cap right there...yes its possible but how competitive will the team be if half your cap is taken up by 5 guys.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
How so?

Crosby is getting 20% of that right off the hop...Fleury around 4-5 M per, Malkin will be making 6-7 at that point...Staal wil be done his 2nd contract and will likely need a 4-5 per year deal.

That is over half the cap right there...yes its possible but how competitive will the team be if half your cap is taken up by 5 guys.

Crosby has told the local media repeatedly that he's interested in signing a long term deal and he'd be willing to sign for less than the max in order to keep the team together, so I think it's a little premature to say that he'll be getting 20% right off the top. Even if he does, if he signs a long term deal right now for $10MM/year and the cap continues to rise, he'll be a bargain in five years.

I think it will definitely take some finagling to get it all to work, but I think this constant crowing that we're not going to be able to keep all of our players is wishful thinking by fans of other teams. Sure, it's possible that we won't be able to keep them all. It's just as possible that we will. Nobody knows how much the cap is going to increase over the coming years and nobody knows what kinds of salaries these guys are going to command. In short, nobody can say with certainty what's going to happen five years from now.

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
You would of told me Pittsburgh would land Esposito before the season started, i wouldnt of been shocked, just pretty pissed that they are still tanking wiht the great talent they already have. Now if Esposito reaches his potential the Penguins will be able to have a dynasty, seriously they already could, if Espo and Co. all reach potential or get close, then its an Oilers redo

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
How so?

More competative than Tampa who has more than enough tied up in 3. I'm personally willing to wait and enjoy the ride til it comes time... in the mean time, other teams' fans will continue their rant.

JA87-66-99

May 31, 2007
Who's Tikkanen? :sarcasm:

Colby Armstrong is Tikkanen
Alex Goligoski is Charlie Huddy.
Brooks Orpik is Randy Gregg.
Georges Laraque is Dave Semenko.

Why do all you people poke fun at other peoples posts. Sorry I forgot your from canada so that automatically makes you a hockey expert. When I posted the Edmonton/Pittsburgh comparism I was just having a little fun. I agree letang to coffey is a little off base but who else would I have used. Letang has the biggest offensive upside of all the penguins defensman. But seriously think of the comparism as the present day penguins to say like the 1981 or 1982 oilers. Yes I know fuhr wasnt drafted till 82 but so what. It's really not that far off base. Crosby looks like a reincarnation of Gretzky so why shouldn't his team be a Edmonton Oilers Clone.LOL.
Relax Everyone! this is just for entertainment purposes. It sure is great being a hockey fan in the hockey capital of the world right now. PITTSBURGH!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad