Esposito to the Penguins...unreal

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
No, because if he was picked by Montreal, it would be a bust and a mistake and so on. Apparently Esposito at 20 is an entirely different player than Esposito at 12.

Or maybe we're just happy to get a player of Esposito's talent at #20?

Don't project the turmoil in Montreal between the media and the fans over not drafting Esposito onto Pittsburgh. I doubt that most Pens fans would have even bothered to give an opinion had the Habs drafted him.

duckfanatic

Jun 28, 2007
Esposito is a great offensive talent but needs work playing defense. Coaches worry just as much as preventing goals as scoring them.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Do people in Montreal hate this kid now?

No I still love him and I hope he does great with my second favorite team. I was so depressed when Montreal passed on him yet so happy when Pitts picked him.

Angelo will make the doubters right starting at the Canada/Russia Super Series when he'll be team Canada captain! He'll make his team win, then come to camp, kick major ***** and win a spot on Crosby's wing. The cap it off he'll win the Calder while helping the Pens capturing third Stanley Cup. This is how positive I am. The kid has such a look in his eyes when he was drafted by the Pens. He was obviously in awe. He'll be a great player, mark my words.

bayrider

Jun 4, 2006
Montreal
Do people in Montreal hate this kid now?

No one hates Esposito. Don't twist people's words and ideas.

What people hate is the media here in Montreal imposing this idea of drafting and trading for players simply for the reason that they are from Quebec, without any respect for the professionals who actually run this team, regardless if the player is actually good or not.

A lot of us are getting sick of this media indignation of what we should do and what we shouldn't do. When the team doesn't conform to the media's unrealistic demands, they put added pressure on the team, coaches, managers and players which does nothing more than fend off potential new players and creates an unworkable environment for those already here. Media cares not for the team, but for themselves to sell more papers and attract more listeners/viewers.

Randall Graves*

Why did Dan Marino drop all the way to the Dolphins the year after they where in the Super Bowl, and he was projected to be a top 5 pick?

Because someone made rumors about him being on coke, and having character issues.

He did ok in the NFL. Hung around for a few years.

There are tons of examples like this in all major sports of a player who dropped for no real reason, and became very good, and sometimes great player.

Either way I'm just going to wait and see how he does, instead of worrying why he fell and why he can't do this or that.

Scouts can't predict the future.

How many 18 year olds have the character to be in the NHL that young (except in a few rare cases)?

We are talking about teenagers here... I'd like anyone on here who was fully mature at 18 to cast the first stone.

Character is something that comes with age and experience.
In this day and age teams are usually pretty damn thorough with background checks.

All i'm saying is, there is probably a reason why the guy who was once projected to be the number one pick was passed on so many times. there were similar rumors about Kessel but he still went in the top five.

Randall Graves*

You even say from watching him that players with lesser God given skills were picked over him.
That may be the case but there is way more to this sport than your skill level. Grit and compete level are huge intangibles especially when looking to build a championship caliber team.

Look, I am not saying that Esposito is not taking a chance. But at 20? Name me a player in a weak draft in the bottom third of the draft who does not have question marks.
I'm not disagreeing it's just all the slobbering over this guy and already labeling him a huge steal and what not is jumping the gun.

To be honest most seem to be nit-picking. He went from a loaded team to one that sucked and his production fell and people said that he did not 'step up' as projected. Really? How shocking.
It depends what people are picking apart, I don't like the fact he plays soft and isn't all that willing to sacrifice his body in the tough areas of the ice. He strikes me as one of those guys that will destroy bad teams, but will struggle vs good teams that will hit him whenever they get the shot. The fact that his numbers went down post Radulov probably did make some teams question his true ability however IMO.

He was not in the final analysis the latest version of 'better than Crosby' as advertised. Oh really? Shocking. An eighteen year old felt the pressure of number one and did not handle it as well as he could have. Oh really? Shocking.
Or maybe he isn't as good as people thought, or his softness scared teams off regardless of skill level. In a weak draft what would cause him to fall so far if he is as skilled as so many believe/want to believe?

What I am not hearing, from any of his detractors, is that the kid does not have world class skills. The Pens, a team with crosby, malkin, Fleury, Staal, Whitney, Letang and on and on got a kid with at number 20 with world class skills that could [otentially keep up with the above star players. Oh really? Shocking.
You need more than just skills...see Yashin, Kovalev, and Daigle for starters..

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
A lot of us are getting sick of this media indignation of what we should do and what we shouldn't do. When the team doesn't conform to the media's unrealistic demands, they put added pressure on the team, coaches, managers and players which does nothing more than fend off potential new players and creates an unworkable environment for those already here. Media cares not for the team, but for themselves to sell more papers and attract more listeners/viewers.

That happens in all Canadian NHL cities to some degree I would imagine, but Montreal and Toronto would have to be the worst.

Vancouver is gaining quickly though, especially after winning zero cups in the 37 years the NHL team has existed.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Just something to think about, but I've checked all the 20th overall draft picks since 1980, and there's only been three or four player who actually panned out or become good players. Only Brodeur since 1980 is a future HOFamer. So the chances that Espo will be any good is very little. But that's just by looking at the past picks. He may become a pretty good player with all the talent around him, but we shall see. And don't forget this is suppose to be a weak draft year.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Just something to think about, but I've checked all the 20th overall draft picks since 1980, and there's only been three or four player who actually panned out or become good players. Only Brodeur since 1980 is a future HOFamer. So the chances that Espo will be any good is very little. But that's just by looking at the past picks. He may become a pretty good player with all the talent around him, but we shall see. And don't forget this is suppose to be a weak draft year.

The logic behind this is unreal...

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Getting Esposito was good insurance at centre for PITT--even PITT realized they won't be able to keep Crosby and Malkin --and I'm not just talking of when Malkin hits age 27...here is why:

1. next July 1st CROSBY hits his RFA status ..sure PITT will try to lock him up long term on LESS THAN A MAX CONTRACT--but CROSBY's agent willbe guilty of gross negligence if he doesn't tell his client to hold out for that --and it will be a doozy on term too--because CROSBY will get that security from SEVERAL offersheets (luckily NYRand PHI will be out of the picture after this year;s spending spree)...
Sure PITT willbe forced tro match (I'm thinking a 10 yr term mAX CONTRACT with an option on PITT's part to extend term at higher compensation at certain points in the deal -say by year 5 or year 7) -however such a whoper contract will force them to trade Malkin who no doubt will also get a real doozy bunch of offer shgeets when his RFA comes up a year later....

2. PITT could wait another year before dumping Malkin off-but they may instead try to make a deal next summer for picks + prospects to fix other parts of their team--knowing that at centre Esposito is in the pipeline--plus they could move Staal back to centre..

I doubt PITT --or any NHL team could afford 2 max contracts -let alone both to the centre position.. In fact if a deal is done --MALKIN mightaccept less than a mAX -but still hefty-IF the team he goes to is perceived as a contender in the years ahead...the point being that some team may play the mAX CONTRACT gambit for malkin if they have to wait till RFA--but may get him for just 80-90% of max if a deal is done a yearahead of that and he signs an extension that only kicks in after his final entry year...

Bottom line--certain teams with cAP room and the $$$ will try to pry MALKIN loose whether in summer 2008 after Crosby signs his mega MAX deal --or in 2009 when he goes RFA...

Esposito falling to them softens the future blow of losing Malkin..

Wheels

Aug 22, 2004

Clearly the exact position he was drafted is the biggest factor in whether Angelo Esposito becomes a good hockey player. If only he'd been picked 19th or 23rd overall instead!

Also, I like how the fact that you leap from only Brodeur being a Hall of Fame player at that draft slot to the conclusion that there in little chance Espo will be "any good". Can't it be in between, maybe?

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Clearly the exact position he was drafted is the biggest factor in whether Angelo Esposito becomes a good hockey player. If only he'd been picked 19th or 23rd overall instead!

Also, I like how the fact that you leap from only Brodeur being a Hall of Fame player at that draft slot to the conclusion that there in little chance Espo will be "any good". Can't it be in between, maybe?

I did say he may be a pretty good player with all the talent the pens have to help him out. But i was just looking at the position he was picked, and there wasn't too many that panned out. But i could be wrong, and if he becomes a HOFamer then awesome. 07' was a pretty weak draft so there are no sure things. but there wasn't a lot of players at that slot that has turned out to be anything. We shall see.

Wheels

Aug 22, 2004
I did say he may be a pretty good player with all the talent the pens have to help him out. But i was just looking at the position he was picked, and there wasn't too many that panned out. But i could be wrong, and if he becomes a HOFamer then awesome. 07' was a pretty weak draft so there are no sure things. but there wasn't a lot of players at that slot that has turned out to be anything. We shall see.

You definitely missed my point entirely.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Pittsburgh trades:
Whole team except
Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Esposito and Whitney

Some team:
#1 pick in 09 (john tavares) and A decee goalie.

that team of six could win a few cups.

Wheels

Aug 22, 2004
Pittsburgh trades:
Whole team except
Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Esposito and Whitney

Some team:
#1 pick in 09 (john tavares) and A decee goalie.

that team of six could win a few cups.

So you think a team would trade John Tavares to get some combination of M-A Fleury, Brooks Orpik, Colby Armstrong, Maxime Talbot and Erik Christensen?

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
1. next July 1st CROSBY hits his RFA status ..sure PITT will try to lock him up long term on LESS THAN A MAX CONTRACT--but CROSBY's agent willbe guilty of gross negligence if he doesn't tell his client to hold out for that --and it will be a doozy on term too--because CROSBY will get that security from SEVERAL offersheets (luckily NYRand PHI will be out of the picture after this year;s spending spree)...
Sure PITT willbe forced tro match (I'm thinking a 10 yr term mAX CONTRACT with an option on PITT's part to extend term at higher compensation at certain points in the deal -say by year 5 or year 7) -however such a whoper contract will force them to trade Malkin who no doubt will also get a real doozy bunch of offer shgeets when his RFA comes up a year later....

2. PITT could wait another year before dumping Malkin off-but they may instead try to make a deal next summer for picks + prospects to fix other parts of their team--knowing that at centre Esposito is in the pipeline--plus they could move Staal back to centre..

I doubt PITT --or any NHL team could afford 2 max contracts -let alone both to the centre position.. In fact if a deal is done --MALKIN mightaccept less than a mAX -but still hefty-IF the team he goes to is perceived as a contender in the years ahead...the point being that some team may play the mAX CONTRACT gambit for malkin if they have to wait till RFA--but may get him for just 80-90% of max if a deal is done a yearahead of that and he signs an extension that only kicks in after his final entry year...

Bottom line--certain teams with cAP room and the $$$ will try to pry MALKIN loose whether in summer 2008 after Crosby signs his mega MAX deal --or in 2009 when he goes RFA...

Crosby really looks like he's going to hold out, saying he'll take less then the max and all.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

SteelCitySaviour

Nov 12, 2005
Pittsburgh PA
Getting Esposito was good insurance at centre for PITT--even PITT realized they won't be able to keep Crosby and Malkin --and I'm not just talking of when Malkin hits age 27...here is why:

dont let current events or reality get in the way of your posts...:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad