Speculation: Erik Karlsson to Detroit

Should we pull the trigger?

• Yes. Retool on the fly!

• No! We should be a bad team for longer period of time and draft high for multiple years.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is just for fun. No need to freak out.

Report: Senators open to trading Karlsson ahead of deadline

That asking price is reportedly between five and seven pieces, a package that McKenzie says would include "some combination of good, young roster players, top prospects, and first-round picks."

The Senators have reportedly also informed teams that landing Karlsson would require fewer notable pieces if their trade partner took on Bobby Ryan's contract as well.

So five-six pieces, I think that's the price, if Ryan is involved.

At first, trade Mike Green somewhere to get a 1st round pick. Send this pick to Ottawa at Karlsson+Ryan -trade.

- 1st round pick (from Green -trade)
- Conditional 2020 DET 1st round pick if Karlsson re-signs with Detroit for multiple years
- 2nd round pick 2018 (Ottawa's own pick got from Brendan Smith -trade, back to Sens)
- Gustav Nyquist (roster player, to open cap space, more cost-effective winger for Sens)
- Xavier Ouellet (another roster player, to open cap space)
- Dennis Cholowski or Filip Hronek (either of our top prospect defencemen)
- Givani Smith (winger prospect)

Also Luke Glendening is traded to Toronto for a draft pick.

This would leave us with:

Mantha - Zetterberg - Bobby Ryan
Athanasiou - Larkin - Tatar
Abdelkader - Nielsen - Helm
Bertuzzi - Turgeon - Frk
(Witkowski)

Ericsson - Erik Karlsson
DeKeyser - Daley
Kronwall - Jensen
(Witkowski)

Howard
Coreau

This team would be possible to get under the cap, when Ryan comes out from LTIR. It's just math.

Also, same would be possible at next season, if the cap is 80M and Kronwall goes to LTIR. Cholowski or Hronek would be promoted on his spot.

There would be enough millions for RFA raises, Larkin, Mantha, AA, Frk, Bertuzzi. And also for promoting either/both Rasmussen/Svechnikov.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
We're not even giving them our 1st, but the 1st we get from a contender we traded Green to?

This deal seems incredibly lopsided for a bonafide 1D in their prime.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How would you modify it?

Good question. Assuming we aren’t willing to offer Larkin, I’m just not sure we have enough enticing options to beat out what other teams could offer.

But sometimes I overestimate what these trades end up looking like, it’s hard to say. I would guess they would want some blue chip prospects.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Let me get this straight: the want 6-7 players/picks for one Karlson? Too much and not worth it, IMO.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Karlson would be huge. But it wont ever happen. We still are not in a good enough position to dump assets to acquire the guy like him.

Ottawa would laugh at that deal. I mean nyquist? This is a budget team they don't want someone at 5m that regularly under performs. The deal for them would start with Larkin and/or Mantha plus a first and others.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This deal seems incredibly lopsided for a bonafide 1D in their prime.

Yeah, but Senators problems include financial aspect. They want to shed millions. Ryan has negative value and a horrible contract.

There has been also information, that Karlsson's price is more, if Ryan is not involved, so it clearly tells the situation.

Should we try to get an advantage of it ?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
If we were to trade for EK, I would assume Ottawa would be asking for Larkin. If EK wants to be a Wing, he can sign here when hes a UFA.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
no, we will lose the trade unless we get him stupidly cheap. We don't even have a quality roster to build around him (especially after the trade), he would be a complete waste here and would keep us mediocre even longer, prolonging our rebuild another x amount of years

Reactions: BinCookin

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ottawa would laugh at that deal. I mean nyquist? This is a budget team they don't want someone at 5m that regularly under performs. The deal for them would start with Larkin and/or Mantha plus a first and others.

Bobby Ryan is a lot bigger problem than Gustav Nyquist would ever be for Ottawa.

Ryan has scored 20+25=45 points in 101 games on last 2 seasons. 0.45 points per game, 1.68 points per/60.
Ryan has 4 years left with 7.25M

Gustav Nyquist has scored 28+48 = 76 points in 135 games for Detroit on last seasons. 0.56 points per game, 1.92 points/60.
Nyquist has 2 years left with 4.75M.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Let me get this straight: the want 6-7 players/picks for one Karlson? Too much and not worth it, IMO.
I assume it's not 6-7 top6/top4 talent. If it's 1 impact player, 2 middling players, and a bunch of bottom pairing/4th liners, that's not so bad.

Yeah, but Senators problems include financial aspect. They want to shed millions. Ryan has negative value and a horrible contract?
I think they'd want more picks/prospects then. And I'd think at the very least, they'd want our 1st rounder for this draft, not someone else's. If we get 1st for Green, it's to a contender. They have no lottery odds. You gotta think Ottawa at least wants a 1st that has a chance at the lottery.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think Karlsson falls into a very weird category...

"too valuable to trade".

Just for sake of argument. If I had to think of this from the point of view of Ottawa. What would it take for me to move Karlsson? I would want at minimum (a high 1st, or many low 1sts, and a young prospect D... MINIMUM).

My competitive offer from Detroit would be: 2018 1st round pick + Nyquist + tatar + Cholowski + Ottawa's 2nd rounder. I mean does that make Ottawa happy? Ya I think it would. But they cant get a sure fire D man from us.

But this is a heck of a lot of assets. From our perspective.. If we wanted Karlsson... How much do we want to pay Karlsson? ((P.S. Sportnet is having this conversation NOW :P)). I would say this as detroit. I would much rather NOt trade for Karlsson, and just offer him 11-12 Million in 1.5 years from now.. then Karlsson can play with Hronek/Cholowski; and we have our 2018 1st rounder, 2019 first rounder. And all our other new young kids.

Karlsson is too valuable. He is worth too much for anyone to pay for in trade.
From our perspective.. I would not pay to trade for him.

I will gamble we can get him as a UFA. And if we cant do that.. so be it... we are better off gamblingg to sign him, than destroying our franchise to trade for him.

Infact... Id rather buy Bobby Ryan from Ottawa and force them to give us a draft pick or Chabot to dump Ryan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Henkka

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I would. At the draft. See where we pick. If we get dahlin no. If we don’t get a good d prospect, yes. Prospects are just that.. Prospects

Karlsson is an elite player and with how the wings evaluate dtalent. We aren’t sure any dmen we pick is a slam dunk

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think they'd want more picks/prospects then. And I'd think at the very least, they'd want our 1st rounder for this draft, not someone else's. If we get 1st for Green, it's to a contender. They have no lottery odds. You gotta think Ottawa at least wants a 1st that has a chance at the lottery.

Yeah, that would be a possible change in the package. Big factor, imo. We keep the contender 1st from Green and give our own.

That's the EXCEPTIONAL price we can pay, because no other contender has high 1sts.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Its a fun discussion Henkka (just for fun).

But our team sucks... I would argue we are worse than Ottawa. I don't even think Karlsson will resign with us (unless we pay him like 13)

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
What if we are a playoff team at 2020 because of Karlsson and the rise of our current prospects core..?

But ... McMoses!

Seriously, though, while the deal seems good for us, I'd rather wait and see what we draft this and next year and how our prospects pan out before going all in for a big trade that could potentially screw up the rebuild.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
I think the desire to "get rid of everyone" because they are not "elite" is misguided. No team in any sport and in any league consists only of "elite players." Elite, by definition, is 1-2 players. The rest are "role" players who do other jobs. People like Tatar and Nyquist, while not "elite" are good players who serve useful roles on this team. What are we doing, letting everyone go hoping for 20 elite players to be drafted this and next year?

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
But ... McMoses!

Seriously, though, while the deal seems good for us, I'd rather wait and see what we draft this and next year and how our prospects pan out before going all in for a big trade that could potentially screw up the rebuild.
Yeah.

Hell, if KH somehow steers the rebuild in the right direction + we get a bit of luck in this and next years draft, we could be an attractive place for EK to sign without giving up many assets.

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
Never. At least not in the position the wings are in now. Maybe, if, they were a contender in a year or two, but they don't have enough around them right now to make this trade. And, by the time they did, Karlsson would be on his last leg and would negate having him in the first place.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
But our team sucks... I would argue we are worse than Ottawa. I don't even think Karlsson will resign with us (unless we pay him like 13)
Depends on so many things. How much does he value a cup, how does the new arena grab him, does the Swedish mafia/alumni sell him on it?

I would. At the draft. See where we pick. If we get dahlin no. If we don’t get a good d prospect, yes. Prospects are just that.. Prospects
We're likely to only have a single digit chance at Dahlin. Trading before the draft is more tantalizing for Ottawa than after in the very high chance we miss on it.

How much discussion are teams allowed to have with contracted players and agents? Like could we reach out to EK's agent right now and ask if there's any chance in hell the Wings are in the mix for his UFA?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad