Erik Karlsson (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I was never part of the bandwagon that says sign EK65 for top dollar and max term. I thought DW got a good deal in the trade, but that was when EK65 did not miss this many games due to injuries.

Keep in mind that with this "highly prized" defense by many here, the Sharks GA/G for the season is below the 50 percentile. Additionally, the Sharks have the worse GA/G among the teams left standing in the playoffs. They also have the worst total GAs of any team in the playoffs.

This will have to change if they meet Boston in the SCF who is the most stingiest GA/G in the playoffs. I would prefer a match up with the jerks.

But that aside, signing EK65 to the numbers being floated around this board will put the Sharks over the $41m/yr for defense. That's too much for a defense that gets scored upon.

The game isn't about goals allowed. It's about goal differential. It's about winning and they're here because they're good enough defensively and have enough offensive talent to outproduce what they give up and Karlsson is a big reason for that.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
He looked tentative and ginger, as he's been all playoffs, but at least he helped on the scoresheet. That's gotta make him feel good after surely feeling like he can't bring anything close to his best for any length of time.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He looked tentative and ginger, as he's been all playoffs, but at least he helped on the scoresheet. That's gotta make him feel good after surely feeling like he can't bring anything close to his best for any length of time.

I actually don’t think he looked all that tentative or ginger. I thought he looked great offensively.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007

I thought he was pretty aggressive. He might still be ginger in flipping his hips, but seems like he's got a 2nd gear now.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I actually don’t think he looked all that tentative or ginger. I thought he looked great offensively.

as someone on the main boards said its funny with karlsson, he like this master jedi or something offensively with the puck but defensively those sick moves and hands just go to stone for some reason.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
The article which is written by a no name alleges he will test the market. Wouldn't surprise me but I'm not going to put any stock in what that person is writing.

Reactions: LA Shark

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I didn’t get that reading Meehan’s quote. What makes you say that?
The article which is written by a no name alleges he will test the market. Wouldn't surprise me but I'm not going to put any stock in what that person is writing.

You are right. It is the writing that makes me think that. Nothing Meehan says specifically points towards UFA.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I got a feeling he goes back to ottawa if we win the cup

Lol at us winning the cup

It is alright to believe.....

But there is not a chance in hell he goes back to Ottawa unless Melnyk sells before July 1st. They didn't want to pay Stone what he is worth, so they certainly won't pay 10+ for EK.

Reactions: Frosty415

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
That article is terrible and literally says nothing. He's not 100% and the Sharks knew he wasn't 100%? Anyone with eyeballs knows he's not 100%. And yeah, he's a UFA in the summer.. everyone also knew that.

Reactions: LA Shark

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
The newest the deep video the Sharks posted shows him speaking up in the locker room of game 7 against Colorado. That’s good to see.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
My only worry with the quote from the agent is that he's putting that out there now so teams don't low ball him based on his post season run which would imply he's going to test the market. Otherwise why say anything if the Sharks already know he's hurt if he plans to resign there

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
The newest the deep video the Sharks posted shows him speaking up in the locker room of game 7 against Colorado. That’s good to see.

At this point in time, after being a Shark since September, I don't think it's that surprising. He was a Captain in this league after all, and all the vets would respect what he has to say.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
My only worry with the quote from the agent is that he's putting that out there now so teams don't low ball him based on his post season run which would imply he's going to test the market. Otherwise why say anything if the Sharks already know he's hurt if he plans to resign there

I would agree. I’m in the minority about Karlsson but I would be hesitant re a 7-8 year deal at 11-12.5 per because I think his injuries are starting to stack up and he might not be durable enough to be relied upon for more than a couple of years.

Plus his play in the playoffs goes from brilliant to wtf far too often for my liking.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would agree. I’m in the minority about Karlsson but I would be hesitant re a 7-8 year deal at 11-12.5 per because I think his injuries are starting to stack up and he might not be durable enough to be relied upon for more than a couple of years.

Plus his play in the playoffs goes from brilliant to wtf far too often for my liking.

I think the injuries are just something he's dealing with this year. I don't think it'll stick with him and I think his inconsistencies stem from that. Once he's had the off-season to properly heal, he'll be fine. I don't see it like a Cheechoo thing.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I think she's just so much an Ottawa girl that any place that isn't Ottawa is stressful

I don't know much about his wife but she seems to always be really unhappy haha obviously media isn't going to cover things if she is happy buttttt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad